List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I would like the club to put Dow, O`Brien, Stocker & Walsh together to do a block of training for a few weeks early in the new year, to work off each other competitively and to help each other try to improve their deficiencies while working as a group. Walsh being very professional would also set the bar higher for the others and perhaps improve the work rate of the other 3, and their age group should make certain that each one wants to come out on top at the end of the day........just an idea that`s all. :think:
You forgot to add Cottrell especially, to up the standards, along with Kemp, Philp, Ramsay and Phillips to the group

Jones is 29. 3 to 5 years left barring injury. Not urgent. If we have one choice: Rowe or another goal kicking small forward.

It's not necessarily as a replacement for Jones, you need to think about injuries. Seeing now that Levi will be mostly a forward replacing Charlie, who is our key defender replacement if one of Weiters or Jones is injured? I'm not trusting Macreadie or Gov to take on a dangerous key forward, and Marchbank is not a key defender either.

Need a key forward (Charlie is looking shaky)

A Ruckman (project)

Key defender (Jones isn’t getting any younger)

And a crumbing forward (we have none)
In terms of forwards, I think we have plenty of options -
Talls - Charlie?, Harry, Levi, Gov, JSOS, Pitto/TDK resting ruck, Moore
Mid/Smalls - Fisher, Gibbons, Martin, Betts, Cunners, Philp, Honey, Fogarty, Owies, Newnes, Murphy

I get that we don't have many genuine small forwards, but I don't think that honestly matters. We have plenty of midielder-forwards capable of intensive pressure inside the forward 50, and guys like Newnes, Murphy and Fogarty, who although may not kick a bag of 2-3 each week, can start on a flank and deliver the ball nicely inside 50 to our talls.

I think it's best if we skip on a small forward this draft/DFA period, and focus on getting someone actually proven who can kick 25+ a year through a trade next year. In terms of key forwards, I don't think it should be a priority, but replacing Moore with Cam McCarthy wouldn't be too bad either.

And yes, we need a project ruck/KPD who we can take a chance on with our 2nd and 3rd round picks.

It's not necessarily as a replacement for Jones, you need to think about injuries. Seeing now that Levi will be mostly a forward replacing Charlie, who is our key defender replacement if one of Weiters or Jones is injured? I'm not trusting Macreadie or Gov to take on a dangerous key forward, and Marchbank is not a key defender either.

Gov to play as the second option and any of JSOS, Kennedy, Kemp or TDK as the third option allowing Casboult to play at FB.

I do agree on drafting a KPD but I want one of the top ones, if it means trading up by downgrading or losing our future 2nd so be it. Should be as sure a Jones replacement as we can find and not a project player.

AFL draft writers like Twomey and all clubs, particularly those with high picks, will always talk up the draft to sell hope to fans.

But I'm curious to know how recruiters REALLY rate this years draft...especially since they didn't get to see top VIC prospects play, and that also means not being able to compare accurately against those who did play from other states.

Eg Logan McDonald...being talked up as a potential no.1 pick. How does he rate though against other top KPF prospects from previous years? He has the advantage of having exposed form this year which has likely propelled him up the draft board...where would he be rated if this was a normal year? Not only did recruiters not get to see top KPF prospects from VIC to compare, they didn't see McDonald play against higher level competition like defenders from VIC Metro or VIC Country like they usually do in standard carnival competitions...so in a way they saw him perform well but against lesser players to a normal draft year.

What does amuse me is seeing so many posters on BigFooty boards talking about trading up to get someone like McDonald and talking about how badly they want him or think their team needs him...when I'm 100% sure most have never seen him play and are just saying it based on phantom draft write ups.

AFL draft writers like Twomey and all clubs, particularly those with high picks, will always talk up the draft to sell hope to fans.

But I'm curious to know how recruiters REALLY rate this years draft...especially since they didn't get to see top VIC prospects play, and that also means not being able to compare accurately against those who did play from other states.

Eg Logan McDonald...being talked up as a potential no.1 pick. How does he rate though against other top KPF prospects from previous years? He has the advantage of having exposed form this year which has likely propelled him up the draft board...where would he be rated if this was a normal year? Not only did recruiters not get to see top KPF prospects from VIC to compare, they didn't see McDonald play against higher level competition like defenders from VIC Metro or VIC Country like they usually do in standard carnival competitions...so in a way they saw him perform well but against lesser players to a normal draft year.

What does amuse me is seeing so many posters on BigFooty boards talking about trading up to get someone like McDonald and talking about how badly they want him or think their team needs him...when I'm 100% sure most have never seen him play and are just saying it based on phantom draft write ups.

I agree with your general point. Although in McDonald's case he's been excelling against senior WAFL defenders, which would be a higher standard than Under 18 Carnival.

Draft, take KPP/ruckman players
100% agree. I don't know who and in which order, but pick 38 + 48 need to be used on two of either a ruck, KPF, or KPD. Pick 78 we should use on the best available (if we even choose to use it). Then through DFA or pre-season SSP, we take the one of the 3 from above which we weren't able to get in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are way better ruckmen than Walsh
Yeah, if it wasn't for the name he wouldn't be mentioned here at all, hopefully recruiting and list management don't hold the same romanticism for him that others on here seem to do

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app
So you pair are better judges than those that had him playing NAB Championships as an underager and representing Australia as an under 17 rep player. Hasn’t been able to play all year. Easy to throw stones.

He is a raw prospect, who has shown decent potential. He is no better or worse than Neale, Lane, Heath And co. Mallard spruiked by Arrow is far more speculative.

TDK likely to be “da man” for a long time. If Pitto stays on for the long haul, he is a great number two, but we need a third. Walsh has club connections, and if has half the drive of his brother will be “a player”. I for one, support the idea of drafting him.

If you will, argue that Neale who to date is behind Lane as a genuine ruck is the better long term prospect because he is more forward/ruck, but no unfounded definitive statements please. Some posters like to “confuse” opinion or personal preference with anything factual.

So you pair are better judges than those that had him playing NAB Championships as an underager and representing Australia as an under 17 rep player. Hasn’t been able to play all year. Easy to throw stones.

He is a raw prospect, who has shown decent potential. He is no better or worse than Neale, Lane, Heath And co. Mallard spruiked by Arrow is far more speculative.

TDK likely to be “da man” for a long time. If Pitto stays on for the long haul, he is a great number two, but we need a third. Walsh has club connections, and if has half the drive of his brother will be “a player”. I for one, support the idea of drafting him.

If you will, argue that Neale who to date is behind Lane as a genuine ruck is the better long term prospect because he is more forward/ruck, but no unfounded definitive statements please. Some posters like to “confuse” opinion or personal preference with anything factual.
We also have the benefit of having him train with the club precovid. We are probably the only ones who have had a decent look at him this year. Hopefully he has come on and showed something during that week of training with the club

Watched Walsh at training along with a couple of potential F/S's earlier this year.
The guys didn't get involved in the more rigorous work-outs and there were no ruck drills, but Walsh was very.....fluid.
Upon my viewing he seemed to have a nice kicking action, hitting his targets and read the ball in the air well.

There wasn't much there to make any definite statements about him, other than that he looked a natural footballer.
If he does have the drive of his brother and if we're looking at an 18 year old ruck-man, I could understand the CFC calling his name out on draft night.

A few scenarios in re: Academy & F/S Prospects and that club' first few picks:

Jamarra Ugle Hagan: Twomey projects pick 1
Dogs - 26, 33, 41, 42, 54 (729+563+412+395+220 = 2319 Draft Points)
If bid comes in at pick 1 - 2400 required to match

Braeden Campbell: Twomey projects pick 8
Swans - 3, 31, 34, 43, 60 (picks 31, 34, 43, 60 = 1672 points)
Enough to match anything after pick 4

Lachie Jones: Twomey projects pick 9
Port - 35, 47, 57, 59 = 1178 points
Enough to match any bid after pick 9

Alex Davies: Twomey projects pick 14
Suns - 5, 27, 37 - 27 & 37 = 1186 points
Enough to match any bid after pick 9, if comes at 14 - Suns will have 257 pts remaining, equal to pick 52

Joel Jeffrey: Twomey projects pick at 18
Suns - 5, 27, 37 - 27 & 37 = as above, may only have 257 pts remaining, could go into deficit or make up picks from points shifting
788 points required to match a bid at 18

Reef McInnes: Twomey projects pick at 20
Pies - 14, 16, 65, 70, 75
Too many variables, bid might come after their initial two picks and then you have to consider picks shifting or whether they'll go into deficit, which also effects their Daicos bid next year.

Errol Goulden: Twomey projects pick 22
Swans - 3, 31, 34, 43, 60 (picks 31, 34, 43, 60 = 1672 points)
If Campbell bid comes at 8, swans pay 1240, leaving 431pts which would match a bid at 36 - however consider the picks shifting etc...

Connor Downie: Twomey projects pick 23
Hawks - 4, 24, 45, 46, 49 (45, 46, 49 = 965pts)
If the above players go before pick 23, Hawks' pick 24 will become pick 31 - so again, many variables

What this could mean for Carlton though?

Assume the following picks get taken by bids:
Dogs: 26, 33, 41, 42, 54
Swans: 31, 34, 43, 60
Port: 34, 47, 57, 59
Suns: 27, 37
Pies: 65, 70, 75
Hawks: 24

Carlton 38 could become 30th live pick
Carlton 48 could become 36th live pick
Carlton 78 could become 59th live pick

I may have made many errors, but a very simplistic look at how compromised this draft is and how we might benefit from the Fogarty trade for example (might have pick 30 after all of that).

Simply liking the post isn't enough. Really appreciate this post. You're fully invested.

Forward option, Knightmare has him at 34. Nice hands and tackles.Not really a small crumbed though...

Hands look okay. Can't see his tackle so I'll take your word for it.

I agree that definitive statements being made on the back of a personal opinion are commonplace on here.
I do get where they're coming from though - Walsh's name continually gets thrown up by people who inevitably haven't ever seen him play as if he is anything approaching the can't miss prospect that his brother was, personally I wouldn't be against selecting him if he's available late.
Recruiters will have knowledge of his performances from underage squads and school footy from previous seasons so will be better positioned to make an accurate assessment

Shifter Sheehan gave Henry Walsh quite a glowing appraisal on radio today.
Seemed to rate him quite high.

We seem to like the brothers, don't we?
I think we would have piked up Sam De Koning if Geelong didn't take him before us. I don't know that as fact, but think it may have been the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back