State of Origin 2020 State Of Origin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Be interesting to see how a guy like Dylan Napa responds to this.

Had the world at his feet when he was with us. His career has done an impression of Ike from South Park doing his impression of David Caruso’s career when he left NYPD Blue. He basically had a mortgage on a Queensland jumper for years - might find it tough to ever get it back now

Career was gone when they brought in the shoulder charge rule. He only has that going for him.

Very very underrated footballer. Cops it for not being dynamic enough out of dummy half but his style has been perfect for the chooks and it’s little things he does that make up for that lack of dynamic spark - even the way he gets out of dummy half, carries the ball in two hands and forces the A and B defenders to engage before he hits a running forward. That’s good craft. He knows he’s not Cook or Farah or Buderus, players that are quick enough on their feet to actually punch holes in a static defensive line. So he does the next best thing and commits that defence before aiming a teammate behind them.

Real glad he at least got his chance and was part of a winning series

Only thing that annoys me is his terrible kicking out of dummy half, should be banned from EVER kicking the ball

Lol, it was banned before he debuted in the NRL

He was only good when he could shoulder charge/headbutt players. Was never that goodin the first place. Roosters haven't missed him!

He was only good when he could shoulder charge/headbutt players. Was never that goodin the first place. Roosters haven't missed him!

No we haven’t but all you have to do is YouTube him to see he was a lot more than that. Single handedly beat Burgess’ souths team one night during the Pearce suspension. Really has wasted his career unfortunately

Interesting vision of Arrow - while it was a bad play, he didn’t need to do it, as soon as he actually realised Tedesco was hurt, he was the one who called out to the referee

Yes, I picked up on that too.

I really feel like Cleary can't win with some fans at times. I thought he kept NSW in the game from the territory stand point with his kicking game at the back end of the 1st half and start of the 2nd half. It was a symptom of his forward pack getting absolutely smashed which was the main issue.

It also led to Cook's ineffectiveness. You swap the jumpers of Grant and Cook and I think they have the opposite games. Grant was able to make quick breaks off the back of his forwards dominating the ruck whereas Cook had nothing to go off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

really enjoyed teh series. wonder if its an idea to keep it as a post GF series
Ratings are way down on this series compared to the mid-year series. I don't mind it at the end of the season but it'll get moved back to mid-year for the ratings.

I really feel like Cleary can't win with some fans at times. I thought he kept NSW in the game from the territory stand point with his kicking game at the back end of the 1st half and start of the 2nd half. It was a symptom of his forward pack getting absolutely smashed which was the main issue.

It also led to Cook's ineffectiveness. You swap the jumpers of Grant and Cook and I think they have the opposite games. Grant was able to make quick breaks off the back of his forwards dominating the ruck whereas Cook had nothing to go off.

To be fair Cleary has had 8 Origins, he's only had a try assist in one of them. That's where the criticism is coming from. NSW fans gave it to Pearce with better output than that.

To be fair Cleary has had 8 Origins, he's only had a try assist in one of them. That's where the criticism is coming from. NSW fans gave it to Pearce with better output than that.
The try assist stat is extremely flawed as it is almost always given to the person who touches the ball last on NRL stats. For example, Cameron Munster was allocated a grand total of 1 try assist for the entire series. Clint Gutherson was given 2 in game 1 for effectively catching and passing.

The try assist stat is extremely flawed as it is almost always given to the person who touches the ball last on NRL stats. For example, Cameron Munster was allocated a grand total of 1 try assist for the entire series. Clint Gutherson was given 2 in game 1 for effectively catching and passing.

Fair but Cleary creates nothing. The whole night last night it was inside ball, inside batt oh and kick it straight to the fullback and hope he drops it...NSW's only decent try (first try was an error from Allen) came from Cleary not touching the ball as he was tackled and Walker setting up Tupou! NSW would be better with Luke Keary at halfback and Whighton at 5/8th.

Fair but Cleary creates nothing. The whole night last night it was inside ball, inside batt oh and kick it straight to the fullback and hope he drops it...NSW's only decent try (first try was an error from Allen) came from Cleary not touching the ball as he was tackled and Walker setting up Tupou! NSW would be better with Luke Keary at halfback and Whighton at 5/8th.
Why would Wighton get a gig if we're judging off try assists as the basis for creativity? Of the halves in the NSW squad the try assist numbers for the year were:

Luai 23 (from 23 games)
Walker 21 (from 21 games)
Keary 18 (from 20 games)
Cleary 17 (from 21 games)
Wighton 8 (from 22 games)

Why would Wighton get a gig if we're judging off try assists as the basis for creativity? Of the halves in the NSW squad the try assist numbers for the year were:

Luai 23 (from 23 games)
Walker 21 (from 21 games)
Keary 18 (from 20 games)
Cleary 17 (from 21 games)
Wighton 8 (from 22 games)

Whighton has been the best 5/8 in NSW for 2 years, won a CC medal in that role, stands up in big games. That bigger style of 5/8 NSW lack, plus it means NSW could you know pick centres, not fullbacks and duds trying to be centres. Really wasn't that hard...

1. Tedesco
2. Addo Carr
3. Crighton
4. Lomax
5. WINGER NOT NAMED TUPOU
6. Wighton
7. Keary

Half the difference last night was in the spine, QLD's big game players have won big games (and starred in them), NSW went in with only Tedesco who have won comps or starred in big games.

Cleary is the best NSW halfback, but he didn't play well last night - although as I said earlier he was behind a well beaten pack and it goes without saying that is a very tough position for any half back. It wasn't just a beating through middle, it was a bit of a mauling. Mistakes in the left corner and Allen's terrible drop kept NSW in the game, otherwise the margin would have finished at least 16 - maybe even more, which would have been more of a reflection of the dominance of the Qld forward pack.

Only the greatest of half backs (Thurston, Johns) would have a chance of dragging their team into the game if they were wearing the NSW #7 last night and even then, not with any consistency.

My main criticism of Cleary last night was that he needed to change up his kicking game when it was becoming blatantly obvious the kick it long and high and straight to them wasn't working. Needed to find a way to get the ball to hit the deck, maybe even just look at getting a few in touch and give our big men a bit of breather because they were under the pump from the very first minute.

Losing a grand final can take a whole off season to get over. Cleary needed a break after the GF. He is the best of average bunch atm. There aren't many great halfbacks going around atm. You could even say DCE didn't do much last night or has since the 2013 GF last night was all munster.

I would have gone with keary and wighton in the halves.

I hope cody walker never plays for NSW again he is a flat track bully

Remove this Banner Ad

Back