ZedNotZee

Debutant
Nov 4, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Crystal Palace, SEM Phoenix, 'Gades
Really stretching the legend status at a third club here (but no more than some suggestions) to mention Ian Stewart. He's in the Team of the Century and Club Hall of Fame for St Kilda & Richmond (he's "Legend Status" for St Kilda) having won Brownlows, Best & Fairests and Premierships at both sides.

To squeeze him in as a legend at a third club, he was the last coach for South Melbourne in 1981 before the club began the move to Sydney; as well as taking the club to the finals in 1977 - the second finals appearance for the club in 32 years. It probably doesn't make him a South Melbourne legend but he is at least a noteworthy coach in their history.

Wardy09

Senior List
Dec 9, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So you’re saying Dale Kickett and Adrian Fletcher aren’t legends? :drunk:
I'm not saying that at all. Just not sure Mav Weller is at legend at any club? Playing at 3 clubs doesn't make a player a legend. Hope that makes sense

Maybe if everyone's criteria was the same. Marlion Pickett has life membership at Richmond doesn't he?

True - I don't know, it just all gets very subjective doesn't it. I'm having a hard time differentiating 'legend at three individual clubs' from 'legend who did it at three different clubs'. For example, there's only 4 people who have played/head coached premierships at 3 clubs - Barassi, Matthews, Malthouse, Hardwick. Pretty legendary list, right? But then I think you'd have to say someone like Blight is more of a 'legend' at Geelong than Hardwick or Malthouse at Port and Richmond, respectively.

Virus

I’m pretty good looking
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not saying that at all. Just not sure Mav Weller is at legend at any club? Playing at 3 clubs doesn't make a player a legend. Hope that makes sense
I’m pretty certain that Mav Weller set the standards at Gold Coast and St Kilda and that’s why they finally look good & the latter have came good. If he didn’t end up at Richmond then I doubt his hunger leads them to their 2019 and then 20 (delisted or retired) flags even though he didn’t play in them. Richmond didn’t look as hungry after 2017!

Cult hero Maverick

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
John "Jack" Worrall probably ticks the box:

9 seasons as a player with Fitzroy (1884 - 1892), 7 as captain. Life member
Coached Carlton 1902 - 1909, 3 Flags, runners up once
Coached Essendon 1911-15, 18-20, back to back flags

Pretty handy all round, played 11 tests for Australia in cricket. One article says he hit 417* for Carlton.

Roysforever

All Australian
Oct 28, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Fitzroy, Melbourne Storm
Can’t think of anyone that genuinely qualifies. David Parkin would be close with his efforts at Fitzroy.

Parkin had an fantastic year of coaching at Fitzroy in 1986 followed by two ordinary years. I appreciate why you reference him, however, I don't think Fitzroy supporters would endorse such status. It's interesting to compare him with Robert Walls who crossed coaching paths at Fitzroy/Carlton. Walls would have legend status at Carlton and I think he also makes the grade at Fitzroy between his playing/coaching days. Walls would probably fall short as a legend at Brisbane though he was instrumental in their transformation from the Bad News Bears to a finals side.

Apr 6, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Subiaco, Everton, SF 49ers
Trust me he was every bit as good at Geelong. It's just the profile wasn't as high.

Didn't win a MVP at Sydney, but did win one at Geelong. He was great from day one.
Absolutely had Edelstone not poached him to Sydney then he would have become a Cats legend ( at least if you'd also been able to keep him out of Big Jack Elliott's reach for a few seasons). But surely he simply wasn't at Geelong long enough to earn the place in club history that entitles a player to be considered a legend. I think his part in the transformation of the Swans in the late eighties along with the Brownlow gets him over the line at Sydney.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Peter Hudson.

New Norfolk :

4 x Tasmania Football League leading goal kicker in 63 (79), 64 (86), 65 (110) and 66 (103). Was named in the All Australian Team following the 1966 carnival, 1 of only 2 Tasmanians in the side.

Hawthorn :

4 Colemans
Highest ever goal per game average in the league
Equal record holder for the most goals in a single season
AFL Hall of Fame Legend
2 x Hawthorn B&F
1 x Premiership
1 x All Australian
Team of the Century

Glenorchy :

2 x Leitch Medals (Tassie Brownlow equivalent)
616 goals in 81 games = 7.6 goals per game seasons of 179, 153, 133
Premiership player / coach
Tasmanian Team of the Century

Representative :

Tasmania 19 games for 91 goals
Victoria 6 games for 43 goals
Tasmanian Football League 26 games for 151 goals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maskmcgee

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2017
The Windy Apple
AFL Club
Essendon
most readily are Barassi (Melbourne

Never heard of any other clubs

Matthews (worth legendary status IMO for the drought-breaking premiership at Collingwood).

Nope

I feel like Sheedy is worth a mention as the grandfather of GWS

Nope

Neil Balme, especially if SANFL comes into consideration

Not a prayer

Hardwick?

Closest to it

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Wouldn't argue about Jars filling the bill with the SA clubs, wonder whether Hawks fans agree with the third. A wonderful player no doubt, was he there long enough for legend status.

Tricky one. He was brilliant while he was at the club, played in a flag (played his worst game of the year tbh but was terrific in the semi final in Perth which set that win up) and was one of the best players to watch. If you define legend as a player that fans that saw him still talk of him in glowing terms, then yeah he is a legend. But in terms of a pecking order, there would be a lot of players in front of him at Hawthorn simply due to the amount of success we've had.

For the sake of the argument though, I reckon it's a good nomination.

tswizzle

Debutant
Sep 29, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Essendon changed their constitution for Hardwick, it was strictly 10 years. Hardwick was there for 9 and was given life membership. Absolutely worshipped by the supporters in his time with us. Highly uncommon for clubs to do this, if ever, at all.
Hardwick is easily legend status at Richmond, so if he's got Essendon ticked off, then Port would be thereabouts or very close to it.

Hardwick was BOG at half time of the 2004 Grand Final. He was everywhere at the start of the game and most importantly, in the face of the three-peat Lions. Having recently rewatched that game, its easy to conclude that Port would've trailed by multiple goals at halftime without Hardwick's contribution.

While he only played 54 games over 3 seasons at Port, his contribution to the 2004 Premiership means that his status as part of the Port Adelaide AFL team would be legendary, or very close to it.

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
l.jpg

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Hardwick is easily legend status at Richmond, so if he's got Essendon ticked off, then Port would be thereabouts or very close to it.

Hardwick was BOG at half time of the 2004 Grand Final. He was everywhere at the start of the game and most importantly, in the face of the three-peat Lions. Having recently rewatched that game, its easy to conclude that Port would've trailed by multiple goals at halftime without Hardwick's contribution.

While he only played 54 games over 3 seasons at Port, his contribution to the 2004 Premiership means that his status as part of the Port Adelaide AFL team would be legendary, or very close to it.
He did the nasty jobs and LOVED doing them. Sacrificing his own game more often than not. Very good with ball in hand as well.

The_Historian

Debutant
Apr 26, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Jack Worrall is another one worth mentioning. He was the first coach in AFL history

3x Premiership coach at Carlton (1906,07,08)
2x Premiership coach at Essendon (1911,12)

He was also a champion footballer at Fitzroy, where he captained the club and represented Victoria. Only probably was this was during the VFA era between 1884 and 1893.

The man also played test cricket and had an exceptional first class career.
Was reading through the thread and he was the first name who came to mind. Haha. Was about to write him up until I saw your comment.

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Kenny is The King for a reason.

Wilt and Shaq are certainly worthy of being in the discussion. In my opinion, LeBron is not a legend at the Lakers at this stage. Certainly at Cleveland and Miami though.

LeBron at LA vs Shaq in Orlando would make an interesting discussion. Despite O'Neal's Orlando days coinciding with the NBA explosion over here (which, to be fair, he had a lot to do with), you could certainly argue that LeBron has already had more success as a Laker than Shaq as a, er, Magic. Shaq was only there for four seasons and (for those who bring up James's lack of playoff success) won his first playoff game (not series) in his third. I don't think he ever made first team all-NBA in Orlando.

Even though he's only had one full year in LA (both seasons have really been interrupted for him: injury and then COVID), the whole championship/finals MVP, runner-up league MVP just about convinces me and even if not, it's surely just a matter of time.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
LeBron at LA vs Shaq in Orlando would make an interesting discussion. Despite O'Neal's Orlando days coinciding with the NBA explosion over here (which, to be fair, he had a lot to do with), you could certainly argue that LeBron has already had more success as a Laker than Shaq as a, er, Magic. Shaq was only there for four seasons and (for those who bring up James's lack of playoff success) won his first playoff game (not series) in his third. I don't think he ever made first team all-NBA in Orlando.

Even though he's only had one full year in LA (both seasons have really been interrupted for him: injury and then COVID), the whole championship/finals MVP, runner-up league MVP just about convinces me and even if not, it's surely just a matter of time.
I stand by my original point of LeBron not being a legend at the Lakers at this stage, due purely to length of tenure at the Lakers. There is certainly time for that to change.

The LeBron at LA vs Shaq at Orlando in my opinion goes with the fortunes of the teams over the years. By the standing of the Lakers over the years and the amount of success they have had over the years, it is probably harder to become a legend at the Lakers than at the Magic, who have really only had sporadic periods of being close to the ultimate. This does not mean that LeBron cannot ever be a legend the Lakers though. Shaq's time in Orlando is probably diminished over time due to the way he was outplayed by Hakeem in the 95 finals. Despite this, he is still the overall best player to have ever played for them. Therefore I think he is certainly very close to being a legend in Orlando, if he isn't already one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back