A-League 2020/21 Off Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
(nix were being considered but the allowance for nz players which the men have was not permitted as,according to the ffa, the time line to ask the clubs and pfa etc was too short.
They didn't want to give the Football Ferns a leg up by having us in there before the Would Cup, thinking we'd have the entire squad in our side 😒

I know ill be "labeled" for this but running the wleague this year is a terrible financial decision for a league near crisis. It loses money, the government had to pay fox sports to show the women's world cup as theres no money in it. Now a struggling league is paying salaries, match payments, referees, flights, hub costs for something that isnt profitable? The negative PR you'd get for canceling a year would last 2 weeks before people moved on. Better than a lot of lost money?

Anyone know if this is subsidised or grants from government? Economically this just isnt smart

I wouldn’t be surprised if there were grants involved with the competition, and may have some contracts that need the wleague to go ahead. The league would be seen by many (no matter the financial loss) as worth continuing as a way to develop the young Matilda’s and fringe players into the next Kerr, Williams etc., also with the wwc in 2023 they need to capitalise on any and all ways the World Cup will strengthen the women’s game into the future.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

1000 fans drop in an initial 8k each and you've got yourself a club. Operating costs aside.

Fixtures shouldn't be too far away unless the FFA is waiting on the SA/QLD border re openings. Will Glory have to base themselves in the East or will they get exemptions for them and away teams visiting? I'd like to see us personally play 3 out of our first 4 fixtures away with a home game played in Albury against someone like the Mariners.

Fixtures shouldn't be too far away unless the FFA is waiting on the SA/QLD border re openings. Will Glory have to base themselves in the East or will they get exemptions for them and away teams visiting? I'd like to see us personally play 3 out of our first 4 fixtures away with a home game played in Albury against someone like the Mariners.

Is this league even gonna happen? Six weeks till the 'suppose' start of the season and no fixture still! Pull your collective fingers out FFA! Shouldn't be this hard and take this long to figure out surely. Have they even officially confirmed a start date?

it will, they want the coin. But itll probably be a lot of mucking about.

The silence is just pissing me off! They should be out there actively promoting by now, The sporting calendar is currently dead with the other codes winding down, yet nothing on the A-League not even a damn leak on the fixture to even remotely get excited about! They've had months to prepare and plan, something doesn't feel right.

The silence is just pissing me off! They should be out there actively promoting by now, The sporting calendar is currently dead with the other codes winding down. yet nothing on the A-League not even a damn leak on the fixture to start getting excited! They've had months to prepare and plan, something doesn't feel right.
100% But I have to say I'm not surprised. Hopefully now that the A-League is officially independent we get some movement.

100% But I have to say I'm not surprised. Hopefully now that the A-League is officially independent we get some movement.

honest how much do you think things will change with an independent league? Will the owners be hell bent on promoting the league or their own interests?

I honestly dont know. If they dont do it its game over and we are back to state leagues.

I am skeptical, the timing for this isn't ideal either, maybe they could have hold it off for another year but seems that the FFA are now the ones who want to off load the league and don't want the burden of carrying it any longer, ironic in a way.

I just feel in the hands of the owns decisions will be made on self interest rather than the leagues interests. Anyway that's just me hopefully I'm wrong. I still think its better than being hamstrung by the FFA btw.

honest how much do you think things will change with an independent league? Will the owners be hell bent on promoting the league or their own interests?
They wont work together. Too selfish

If we had a genuine marquee wanting to come to the aleague, as an owner id help pay salary (provided he comes to my ground. Instead the owners cry foul "this isnt fair" etc. Just one example of how they could work together but never will

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have Glory played any friendlies? I think we fly out today, so it will be a rough ask for them if it has just been kick abouts with the academy side.

Still I'm excited for the ACL. We will get to see a lot of young kids against some quality, but weakened sides. I am assuming it will still be on Kayo, right? If a team can go on a decent run this might also lead to some press and hype leading into the A-League season which would be nice.

Finally, I'm not too fussed at the lack of fixture and advertising. With afl trades and state of origin we might get swamped out anyway. I'm fine with a short sharp ad campaign before the season begins.

Have Glory played any friendlies? I think we fly out today, so it will be a rough ask for them if it has just been kick abouts with the academy side.

Still I'm excited for the ACL. We will get to see a lot of young kids against some quality, but weakened sides. I am assuming it will still be on Kayo, right? If a team can go on a decent run this might also lead to some press and hype leading into the A-League season which would be nice.

Finally, I'm not too fussed at the lack of fixture and advertising. With afl trades and state of origin we might get swamped out anyway. I'm fine with a short sharp ad campaign before the season begins.
I don’t think they’ve played any official friendlies but wouldn’t be surprised with some behind close doors stuff.

Simon Hill's disappearance from Fox Sports didn't last too long - I'm currently watching him call a friendly between the Olyroos and Macarthur Bulls.

I'm sure it's the FFA producing the broadcoast and Fox/Kayo simulcasting it. Still, it's nice to hear the dulcet tones back.

Simon Hill's disappearance from Fox Sports didn't last too long - I'm currently watching him call a friendly between the Olyroos and Macarthur Bulls.

I'm sure it's the FFA producing the broadcoast and Fox/Kayo simulcasting it. Still, it's nice to hear the dulcet tones back.
You're right, its just a simulcast, its also on fb. He would be high on the list for the next rights holder you would think, probably taking the lead role in analysis of the game.

You're right, its just a simulcast, its also on fb. He would be high on the list for the next rights holder you would think, probably taking the lead role in analysis of the game.

Considering he is the best commentator in the country by an absolute mile, whoever the next rights holder is would be stupid not to go to him straight away.

Foxtel should just let Optus take over now really.
Who said optus want it. And, most importantly, who says a deal with optus will be good for the game? Its more expensive, probably has the same if not less potential viewers and it doesnt fix the fact that the marketing has been poor and they have not yet been able to find the market that would like to watch the sport. Hopefully when they go to market they will be able to get a strong deal that enables the game to be shown in all its glory on FTA and is able to use said deal to get people interested.

Who said optus want it. And, most importantly, who says a deal with optus will be good for the game? Its more expensive, probably has the same if not less potential viewers and it doesnt fix the fact that the marketing has been poor and they have not yet been able to find the market that would like to watch the sport. Hopefully when they go to market they will be able to get a strong deal that enables the game to be shown in all its glory on FTA and is able to use said deal to get people interested.

Optus made a play for it last time and have been trying to get the rights to anything and everything. If they get the rights and partner with ABC having 1 live game a week it will be much better. You would capture all the football fans that watch other leagues if Optus got the rights and at $14.99 a month I don't see where it can go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back