• Nathan Broad to win his 5th flag before either win one

Votes: 35 26.5%

• Total voters
Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Patrick Dangerfield will by 31 be the beginning of the 2021 AFL season. Nat Fyfe will hit 30 by the end of the 2021 season. Dangerfield at 269 games whilst Fyfe 187. Collectively they've won,

- 3x Brownlow Medals
- 11x All Australians (both captains)
- 7x Best and Fairests

Dangerfield played in the 2020 Grand Final loss to Richmond. Fyfe played in the 2013 Grand Final loss to Hawthorn.

Essentially, both have gotten as close as you can get without the medal. Before John Longmuir became coach, I was very critical of Fremantle, always reliant on Fyfe. The team was centred around him and id often chuckle as he would have 40 disposals against my team, kick two goals and we'd flog them by 90 points. But what Longmuir is doing now is God's work. Essentially building a midfield for Fremantle and giving Fyfe different goals in his acclaimed career. Can Longmuir find a way to use his weapon how Damien Hardwick and Alastair Clarkson used Martin and Franklin? Fyfe has a few years left and my gut feeling suggests he's gonna have one big run left to win a premiership.

Patrick Dangerfield is a vastly different beast. If this was Las Vegas, he would be all in at the table. Geelong are teetering on the cliff (which they've managed to do aerobic gymnastics on for almost 5 years). This year was his year, now with Cameron, Higgins and Smith, its all 2021. This side reminds me of the Lakers when they had Kobe, Shaq and brought Karl Malone and Gary Payton into the fold in 2004. They had one big shot, for the Lakers, Detroit disposed of them. Will Geelong and Dangerfield ever overcome their Richmond hurdle? Or will a new champion emerge from the pack and cut the Cats at their knees? 2021 and maybe 2022 will be Patty's last true chance. But with losses to Richmond in 2017 and eliminations in 2019 and 2020, Geelong dont have the gamestyle to match Richmond. Can they change?

So what's your bet? Who will get a premiership first? Patty or Fyfe?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
It's Justin not John, you've beaten us by 90 points once in the last 20 years and Fyfe is a better player than Dusty

images.jpeg-155.jpg

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Broad option looks solid.
Nathan Broad with 2 Norm Smith Medal Votes. Fyfe with 1 and Danger with none.

Broad belongs in this conversation 😁😁

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Fyfe is a better player than Dusty

We are trying to establish if Fyfe is better than Nathan Broad at this point. Nathan Broad has double the Norm Smith votes over Fyfe

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
We are trying to establish if Fyfe is better than Nathan Broad at this point. Nathan Broad has double the Norm Smith votes over Fyfe
What a compelling argument

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
If Danger is going to get a flag surely it has to be next year. It’s remarkable that Geelong have been thereabouts for so long but they are seriously ageing and loading up on veterans again for another tilt next season.
I reckon Fyfe will go permanently forward in 2022. I reckon we might have another certain big bodied wrecking ball in the midfield by then. This should prolong his career by a year or two and Freo should either be shitting or getting off the toilet by 2024 with the list they are developing.
So in summary Fyfe’s window is bigger than Danger’s but Danger‘s tiny little window is currently open.

Just wait until Danger is putting it down the throat for Tomahawk and Cameron. At this point at least one premiership is practically guaranteed.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Danger's last chance this year I reckon.
Fyfe no chance unless he moves next year (doubt it). He'd do his brand damage to be a two club player or mercenary type.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Realistically neither.

As good as Geelong have been in recent history they are massive choke-artists come finals time, and their list is old as hell. Their last, final push for a flag will be next year, then they're headed for the cliff.

Freo are realistically 2 or so years away from even making the 8, let alone challenging. Their 2015-16 rebuild failed and they're almost back at square one. Fyfe himself is also pretty injury prone nowadays.

Logically both will retire before their respective clubs achieve another flag. If you held a gun to my head though I would say Geelong, solely because they got to the big dance this year.

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
A few weird assumptions about Fyfe retiring before Freo have a run at the flag again. Realistically Freo are properly contending in 2023 where Fyfe will be 32 at the start of the year. He'll still be playing then, and likely for a couple years more.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
A few weird assumptions about Fyfe retiring before Freo have a run at the flag again. Realistically Freo are properly contending in 2023 where Fyfe will be 32 at the start of the year. He'll still be playing then, and likely for a couple years more.

Fyfe's got issues with injury, though. Whilst its technically true that he can play at 32 (and in all likelihood will), most likely he will spend a lot of time of the pine with leg problems between now and then.

FWIW I dont think you'll be contending in 2023 either. You should be playing finals, but you wont be flag contenders bar a trade period coup/ other teams falling in a heap. I think 2025 is more likely to be when you're contending for Top 4 (and thus a premiership), and Fyfe will be the wrong side of 35 then.

Probably Danger.

I hope Fyfe

But I suspect it's Nathan Broad - who will be able to tell the story of his accidental 2 Norm Smith votes forever. He's been an exciting player around the GF's in 2017 and 2020. Don't know if he did anything special in 2019, but Nathan Broad owns this.

Back