2021 season changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Mods please move this if appropriate

So far I’ve seen worse changes 1. In the reserves or whatever it’s called reset the 6/6/6 at every throw in and ball up with a 50 m penalty
Reckon the time this will add to the game will negate the possible reduced congestion. And mass confusion as players often swap opponent during live play, meaning lots of penalties and ugly outcomes.

2. releasing the fixture in 4-6 week blocks. Bloody horrible. Those of us with some sort of life outside the afl bubble won’t be able to plan in advance. Major milestone for your family in three months can’t be organised around the lions games, can’t plan a holiday around a game in another state. Can’t book plane tickets to see a game early when the flight prices are cheap.
hate it hate it hate it.

personally, I enter games dates and times in the joint family diary and we work around the 11 home games. Without this pre planning I can see us missing loads of games, which impact on the value of the membership.

2. releasing the fixture in 4-6 week blocks. Bloody horrible. Those of us with some sort of life outside the afl bubble won’t be able to plan in advance. Major milestone for your family in three months can’t be organised around the lions games, can’t plan a holiday around a game in another state. Can’t book plane tickets to see a game early when the flight prices are cheap.
hate it hate it hate it.

It was the case in the NRL for a while.

They scrapped it because it was painful and people hated it.

So of course we'll pick it up. Go figure.

Mods please move this if appropriate

So far I’ve seen worse changes 1. In the reserves or whatever it’s called reset the 6/6/6 at every throw in and ball up with a 50 m penalty
Reckon the time this will add to the game will negate the possible reduced congestion. And mass confusion as players often swap opponent during live play, meaning lots of penalties and ugly outcomes.

hate it hate it hate it.

personally, I enter games dates and times in the joint family diary and we work around the 11 home games. Without this pre planning I can see us missing loads of games, which impact on the value of the membership.
Completely agree. The umpires are having a hard enough time anyway, can't we make it easier for them instead of more complicated.

In regards to the periodic fixture, irrespective of the 'when', establish at the very beginning the order in which teams will play each other, the location and the duration between matches. Deviations from this order and or scheduled period between matches or locations should be able to be reviewed at the afl digression but only if required due to travel restrictions or medical advice, and all steps should be taken to ensure all affected teams are no worse off, or not disproportionately worse off than any other effected team after a change. Ie no standard 5-6 day break becomes one team with four day and one team with 9 day break, no surprise 3 week road trips/hub festivals, and no rejigging with secret herbs and spices because the pies or norf could really do with a good month (or they want to knock someone down a peg, ill be honest)

Completely agree. The umpires are having a hard enough time anyway, can't we make it easier for them instead of more complicated.

In regards to the periodic fixture, irrespective of the 'when', establish at the very beginning the order in which teams will play each other, the location and the duration between matches. Deviations from this order and or scheduled period between matches or locations should be able to be reviewed at the afl digression but only if required due to travel restrictions or medical advice, and all steps should be taken to ensure all affected teams are no worse off, or not disproportionately worse off than any other effected team after a change. Ie no standard 5-6 day break becomes one team with four day and one team with 9 day break, no surprise 3 week road trips/hub festivals, and no rejigging with secret herbs and spices because the pies or norf could really do with a good month (or they want to knock someone down a peg, ill be honest)
Not sure the rule changes are particularly hard to officiate considering most are during a stoppage in play.

Not sure the rule changes are particularly hard to officiate considering most are during a stoppage in play.
Fair enough, not really arguing that they are having to be officiated at the same time, but officiated at all. In any case I can already see potential delays in play on being called because they were too busy counting cattle, player leaves mark expecting play on call, 50m penalty, oopsa daisy

Fair enough, not really arguing that they are having to be officiated at the same time, but officiated at all. In any case I can already see potential delays in play on being called because they were too busy counting cattle, player leaves mark expecting play on call, 50m penalty, oopsa daisy
There will definitely be delays to the game as a result.
Without doubt!

It was the case in the NRL for a while.

They scrapped it because it was painful and people hated it.

So of course we'll pick it up. Go figure.
It will be all about keeping media partners happy.
The more suitable games they can place in prime time as the season unfolds the better ratings they will get.
The better rating for the media should result in more revenue for them at some stage.
As long as the media stays viable the AFL and clubs should survive the next few years
Professional sporting clubs are no way out of the woods financially yet.

Just think of the money the club will save on fridge magnets alone ;)

Started wondering when next year's draw will be available so I could plan Brisbane and Melbourne trips to catch up and see a game or two - maybe even a prime time Friday night game if one's available.

Remembered the floating draw proposal and have returned to my desire to burn down AFL HQ for rampant stupidity.

I don’t mind the floating fixture just quietly. As a neutral fan at least - should get more enticing prime time games to watch if there’s a bit of flexibility there. I enjoyed the condensed schedule as a viewer as well.

I get that it’s s**t in terms of planning ahead though. Especially for interstate supporters.

And while it’s good to have footy on more nights of the week, I am not heading to the Gabba on a Tuesday or Wednesday night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back