Should there be shorter quarters in 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

I read somewhere that AFL is going back to pre-covid quarters, but it hasn't been officially announced.
Hocking said a couple of days ago that they would be increasing from 16 minutes but wouldn't rule out going back to only 18 minutes

Wouldn't be surprised if they continue on with it.

Covid isn't going to be gone magically in 2021. Even if an effective vaccine starts being distributed it's going to be ever present for at least a couple years.

They'll leave the announcement till last minute though. If the covid numbers can stay down and all the borders are open we might have a start to the year resembling normal footy.

As soon as any covid numbers show up we'll be returning to that Hub style/shortened quarters format again.

Was the right call this year
Should be gone next year now there is a plan in place
You'd hope so.
Already made the decision personally, that if AFL ever decide to make shorter quarters a thing beyond present circumstances I will no longer pay to be an AFL member. I paid money because I loved the sport and was compelling viewing. I got to see full reserves game before the senior game and was an awesome day out. It has been reduced from that to something less compelling in last two decades with all the changes that have gone on. Would be the last straw for me if we had shorter quarters forever like we had in 2020 season.

However I still got hope that once the world wide issue is past us probably beyond another season the game can start to return the value of enjoyment I originally was getting when I decided to become a member.

I am giving the AFL a grace period of next season to navigate the mess of the game and outside circumstances.

Wouldn't be surprised if they continue on with it.

Covid isn't going to be gone magically in 2021. Even if an effective vaccine starts being distributed it's going to be ever present for at least a couple years.

They'll leave the announcement till last minute though. If the covid numbers can stay down and all the borders are open we might have a start to the year resembling normal footy.

As soon as any covid numbers show up we'll be returning to that Hub style/shortened quarters format again.
Shorter quarters do nothing against Covid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hocking said a couple of days ago that they would be increasing from 16 minutes but wouldn't rule out going back to only 18 minutes

Because Hocking is a clueless meddling campaigner who thinks that he isnt doing his job unless he is changing things.

Mayne his job should be protecting the game from stupid changes.

Is there any reason to not roll all the ruleschanges back 15 or 20 years ?

Not unless the schedule gets compressed in a similar manner to this year due to unforeseen circumstances.
Which should not happen artificially due to trying to shoehorn in extra games for TV, most especially if dressed up as "making the fixture fair", ie. as a veiled excuse for TV.

The AFL think it is their game. It is not, it is OUR game, and they are only the custodians, and individually only for a short time. If they fail to listen to the masses on wanting quarters back to 20 minutes and only 30 seconds between goals and an afternoon Grand Final they will be seen as very poor custodians. Which they have been lately.

TV rules the rules.... All modern rule changes, unfortunately, are either about making things safer or making more money for people who aren't us, we are just the fans and we do not have the same clout with the AFL unless we switch off?

The rugby codes and soccer leagues didn't bring in shorter halves due to Covid so why should the AFL continue with shorter quarters? It's unnecessary meddling.
True.....

Going from 20 minutes to 16 minutes, there was only one Positive: Less Thrashings. How many 100 point losses happened in 2020? None from what I saw.

AFL will spin it and label any rule changes as a Positive.

True.....

Going from 20 minutes to 16 minutes, there was only one Positive: Less Thrashings. How many 100 point losses happened in 2020? None from what I saw.

AFL will spin it and label any rule changes as a Positive.

I enjoy a good thrashing. What's with this idea of constantly trying to make everything equal in terms of AFL, how *ing boring would it be if every team was good, everyone was a winning, every game was decided by 5-10 points. BORING AS F....

Short attention spans are the problem, modern generations want everything now. The idea that Aussie rules footy is a long haul sport where your team may be s**t for a decade turns younger people off. My advice is follow footy as people used to, don't wrap your whole life in it and you'll get through a decade of mediocrity and then when the success does come it's all the more sweeter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back