Past #41: Matt McGuinness - delisted end '22 - 0 NM games/goals - thanks Matty

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt CAT B will be part of any reductions

CAT A likely though

If we can't afford a VFL side, we sure as s**t can't afford a Cat B rookie.

Which amounts to about 10% of the VFL sides yearly cost. That's not factoring in the cost of him to be coached, medical, kit etc.

He's exactly the sort of player you would delist if we're thinking that project players won't really be on AFL lists going forward but from a position of actually getting value from the moves you make managing a list what would be the point of delisting a guy with untapped potential over someone like Tyson, Williams or Macmillan who we already know the (limited) ceilings of.
Why are we thinking that about project players?

And do we really know the ceilings of those guys? Was Luke McDonald's ceiling any different now to last year? He would have been one of those you mentioned if we were having this conversation last year wouldn't he?

Some people would say being a Cat B rookie means you will automatically have a lower ceiling than say Tyson, so it's a fair guess that while we might know those current long term guys ceilings are and they may be limited but probably are higher than MMac. (But we don't know for sure and given our needs in this area it's worth some more perseverance.). We haven't seen enough of Tyson to know what his ceiling is either (tho the few games I have seen were enough for me).

Also Marley Williams is a lock down small defender whereas MMcG is a tall skinny defender who looks a chance to be KPD. So it might be worth keeping both of them as they play potentially complementary defensive roles. And that brings me back to another reason to keep him right now - he is the only player we have who is remotely a KPD and under 24.

There was talk in Tassie over the weekend that MM has got a new one year extension as a Cat B rookie.

He posted this yesterday:

Looks like a private account GR.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do remember at an intra-club match at Arden st he took a great pack mark & goal
At the time it took a while to figure out who it was !

Interesting they see him as a forward. Personally thought he has shown much more as an intercepting half back.

Happy to see him sign on. The raw ingredients and Footy IQ is there, he just needs to gets his body to a point where he can compete with the big boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back