First club to 17 premierships?

Who will be the first club to 17 premierships?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

yes apologies re simpleton, different poster, completely my bad

Yes I think modern day teams are far better than yesteryear's teams...it's just natural evolution...now if I used the words "best eva", ok there may have been a bit of mayo on that but the point is ppl do all sorts comparisons/ratings/opinions
saying that yesteryear's teams are "better" than modern day teams..and premiers in the 20s/30s/40s to...whatever are better than today's...in particular Richmond... a team of just plain ordinary roleplayers....what can i say but....ehhhhhh.
I guess the fact that today's woodenspooners, let alone the premiers, would comfortably thrash the most dominant teams of the 1920s is a truism hardly worthy of discussion.
You really can only compare teams within their own eras. In the 20s those teams had no indigenous players, interstate players were rare as hen's teeth, training was maybe one day a week, strength and conditioning and nutrition were barely considered and definitely not in the scientific terms of today. I could go on but you get the drift.

I guess the fact that today's woodenspooners, let alone the premiers, would comfortably thrash the most dominant teams of the 1920s is a truism hardly worthy of discussion.
You really can only compare teams within their own eras. In the 20s those teams had no indigenous players, interstate players were rare as hen's teeth, training was maybe one day a week, strength and conditioning and nutrition were barely considered and definitely not in the scientific terms of today. I could go on but you get the drift.
I should have answered your specific question with a simple:

YES.

anymore than that would have compelled the reply "hardly worthy of discussion". Noted, I learnt something today.

(even tho oddly you went on to discuss some more, yeah i read it, perfectly fine with it, got the drift)

I believe that todays wooden spooners would comfortably smash the 1988 Hawthorn premiership side.

What a simpleton.

Do you honestly think you're offering anything insightful by telling us all that the full-time professional teams of today would beat the teams of 100 years ago that turned up on a Saturday afternoon after maybe a training run or two during the week?
I reckon Mopsy Fraser and Captain Bloods teams, given some lateral freedom, may be an outside chance to get over the current Tigers!

I know the poll is only a small sample size.

However, I'm not sure why Richmond are favoured over Collingwood, given that Richmond are 4 flags behind 17, compared to Collingwood, who are only 2 flags behind 17.

Totally agree with you even though I'm going against some fellow Tiger posters.
In my opinion anything from 1990 which was the official date of the AFL should be counted. Prior to that it wasn't even full professional let alone a national comp.
I understand the VFL was the foundation league but fu** me dead how can you compare a team that won a flag with 15 to 17 other teams in a full professional & national league with compromised drafts + salary cap to a 6 to 12 team comp with open wallets & some years of round robins during the wars & great depression.
Its actually laughable.
I've never considered anything before AFL era to count in regards to flags and sometimes I think perhaps because my own team only played a couple seasons before that time makes me a bit biased. But it blew my mind a month ago Pies supporters gloating that Richmond not winning the flag in 2018 saved their four flags in a row from being matched, how can you count those flags won in a literal suburban comp when we have an Australian-wide comp now? How can people count flags won in a then state comp with a straight face?

Personally I count from 1987 when Brisbane and West Coast joined, that was the start of the AFL.

And Hawthorn are miles in front.

Carlton 1
Essendon 2
Collingwood 2
Richmond 3
Geelong 3
Brisbane 3
West Coast 4
Hawthorn 7
I was about to be offended but I forgot that people can’t use the ‘AFL era’ thing against Richmond anymore. Carry on :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread is about who will be first to 17.

I.e. out of Carlton, Essendon or Collingwood...or outside chance of Cats and Tigers...who will break clear at the top for no.1.

Ffs the clown eagles and port supporters really ought to be threadbanned. This is not the place to whine and bear your inferiority complex.

Whether you like it or not, the AFL doesnt recognise your bush league achievements. Discuss the actual topic.

This thread is about who will be first to 17.

I.e. out of Carlton, Essendon or Collingwood...or outside chance of Cats and Tigers...who will break clear at the top for no.1.

Ffs the clown eagles and port supporters really ought to be threadbanned. This is not the place to whine and bear your inferiority complex.

Whether you like it or not, the AFL doesnt recognise your bush league achievements. Discuss the actual topic.

Cats :huh:

They've only won 9 flags, and are way too far behind the pack to be in this discussion.

Except for a majority of Tigers supporters, they would have you think that footy started in 2017.

It's clear they've forgotten about their 34 seasons as a laughing stock of the competition...

Richmond and Hawthorn supporters, clearly cut from the same cloth.

Back