Official Club Stuff Lienert and Woodcock sign on

jac147

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Both could be best 22. The strange thing was when they were finally omitted from the team this season it wasn’t due to form that was on the nose - both were more than serviceable. We all know that Lienert would have been the better selection than Burton for the PF. The odds for Burton going down with a recurrence of his injury would have been very high. Yes, I have some time Jarod.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not convinced on this at all...

We generally use 7 defenders for game day:

1. TJ
2. McKenzie
3. Cluz
4. DBJ
5. Aliir
6. Hammer
7. Houston/Burton (as it's likely at least one of these guys plays mid/wing).

So the depth after that has: Jones, Bergman (who is a fair unknown as a defender), Garner, Lienert, Bonner

He will probably get his shot with 2 injuries or form concerns. All he then has to do is grab his opportunity like McKenzie did this year.

Worst case scenario he's probably one of the best break glass depth defenders in the AFL.
I agree. He did nothing wrong in the games he played. He played his part well. So sure, he is depth. But Tredders saying he "signed on despite the pressure" is not really fair or correct IMO. His signing on ADDS to the pressure that all the defenders are under to get, and maintain a spot.

New season starts soon, and the preseason always throws up a curveball. One of the depth players stands out & gets rewarded, or we get one ore two injuries out there, etc.

In 2021, anything is now possible. If he keeps improving ... who knows? And thats the way we want it.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I agree. He did nothing wrong in the games he played. He played his part well. So sure, he is depth. But Tredders saying he "signed on despite the pressure" is not really fair or correct IMO. His signing on ADDS to the pressure that all the defenders are under to get, and maintain a spot.

I don't reckon anything you said disagreed with Tredders.

I think what Tredders was saying was that he could have gone and looked at other options to try to join a weaker team which would have gotten him a starting 22 spot, but he is instead gonna stay where it's tough because he wants to add to the pressure be a part of this Port squad. I see it as a compliment from Tredders.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
Leinert can definitely come in a do a role. Classic depth player.

Woodcock could turn out to be anything or could be a bust so keeping him for another year to see which way he falls is definitely warranted.

Tredders on 9 news saying Lienert signing on despite the pressure of Port bringing in defenders Aliir Aliir and Lachie Jones. :D

Lachie and Liernert aren't a like for like
Aliir could be a westhoff replacement on the wing

Lachie and Liernert aren't a like for like
Aliir could be a westhoff replacement on the wing

Lachie plays on talls, smalls, mediums. He's like the honey badger, he doesn't give a s**t.

Aliir has to play defence. We don't need a no position tall.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't reckon anything you said disagreed with Tredders.

I think what Tredders was saying was that he could have gone and looked at other options to try to join a weaker team which would have gotten him a starting 22 spot, but he is instead gonna stay where it's tough because he wants to add to the pressure be a part of this Port squad. I see it as a compliment from Tredders.
Essentially true, yes. But I also see the wording as implying that he is now the one under pressure from the arriving 2 players, which is only one side of the equation. The new boys will be under as much pressure as him, in fact probably more so, with the expectation to perform as new players..

All semantics, I know.

Last edited:
Lachie plays on talls, smalls, mediums. He's like the honey badger, he doesn't give a sh*t.

Aliir has to play defence. We don't need a no position tall.

we need a bit more honey badger

wilson, hardwick, carr, james, pickett and co all had a bit of honey badger in them

Aliir could be a McKenzie replacement and McKenzie could kick goals from the wing.

if he doesn't win the coleman from the wing, he isn't backing himself in often enough!

jac147

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I love that goddam honey badger :thumbsu::heart:
Need someone like him at home, to knock of some redback spiders in the garage, and do a number on pesky possums that bang on the roof at night and crap in the gutters!
Absolute Legend.
I recently watched a doco about honey badgers. Put up with the red backs and possums because trust me you don’t want any of those wrecking balls near your property.

Last edited:

MALTSY

Club Legend
May 2, 2011
silver sands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He was a "Honey Badger" in his first year of AFL ... Imagine him in 5 years time! I reckon when he "grinned" into Ziebel's face, his teeth would have looked exactly like the honey badger's snarl in that video! 🤬

He so loveable though!! what's a cute animal with a dark side?

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think lienert is a lot better than people give him credit for. And with Aliir, our tallest defender.

I'm not sure whether it is an optical illusion but Aliir looks to have the wingspan of a Boeing 747, whether that is any really advantage or not. At 95kg I'm thinking he must be very strong through the core. I love Lienert's penetrating, accurate kicking but he is not the aeralist Aliir is and is only 88kg at the same height. I'd like to see him get games as he earns them and assuming there will be injuries and possibly form concerns.

I'm gonna sleep well though knowing that not only will teams find it difficult to score against us, they are going to rue any mistakes they make going forward because they will find the ball being rebounded quickly and accurately given what we have on paper. Our forward line and goalkicking accuracy concern me the most for 2021.

Back