News Carlton to field standalone Reserves Side in 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah i think a majority of players may well be made up of u18 hopefuls (i guess like when Kye Quirk was playing for the northern blues, except times 5 or 10)
I'd like to see Quirk given an opportunity in our VFL team next season. He started showing a bit for the Northern Blues late in the 2019 season & if he had got to play a full VFL season in 2020 he might have been a smokey for a rookie pick.

Probably addressed in the thread but not sure how standalone teams work with meeting required number of players.

Do we recruit players to top up our reserves team? If so I would have thought this is the way to go with the likes of BSOS etc. Develop them in our system for a couple years then recruit when more ready made.
I know of a player we have signed to play vfl reserves next season.

We're going to have to sign a few with reduced list sizes. There are a few good decent ex-AFL players getting around because of this, hopefully we can get some of them on board.

We're going to be fielding an exciting young side with a hell of a young midfield. Could easily see a reserves side of Dow, O'Brien, SPS, Kennedy Stocker, Kemp, Ramsay, Fogarty and Philp.

You think of that, it's given us a great perspective on how SOS has rebuilt our list. Made sure we had plenty of midfielders coming through. Our reserves side' midfield was mostly rejects from other clubs who couldn't get a game and Bullants listed players. Now all of a sudden it will be mostly young guys on Carlton's list.

As for potential VFL listed players I could only guess we have another look at Lukas Webb who was going to play with Northern Blues. There were guys running around in our reserves who were lined up to play VFL last season like Alex Johnson and Jon O'Rourke who I have no doubt we were looking at potentially recruiting and they were vying for a return to AFL so who knows if they may be a part of that. Paddy McCartin you would think would have to be one of those players. Ben Silvagni may also be a chance. I think a lot of delisted AFL players will be finding spots in the new reserves comp.

One thing I would like to see is some access for AFL clubs to their reserves players. For example if injuries hit a club hard they can bring a player in or when list sizes go back up to normal then a club can have priority to recruit their reserves players.

I'm hoping the competition is strong and has a good number of quality mature reserves listed players through it. I know a lot of the better VFL guys will want to be a part of it in an attempt to get drafted. I'd hate for this to be a comp full of young guys, the comp needs to be genuinely the second strongest comp for player development. It needs to have the physicality and pressure of senior football so the gap is not too big between this and AFL.

I wonder if we could get any ex-Blues to help out. They will need a ruckman, Kreuzer would be fantastic as would Simpson. Give some much needed leadership.

Very much looking forward to seeing what our reserves list is going to look like and hoping we are able to field a strong side.

I could see Cas running around in the VFL side from 2022 if he is still on the list. Break glass type of player (depending on list sizes of course).
We should definitely have moved past him being a regular member of our 22 by the end of 2021.

I could see Cas running around in the VFL side from 2022 if he is still on the list. Break glass type of player (depending on list sizes of course).
We should definitely have moved past him being a regular member of our 22 by the end of 2021.

That would be ideal but we need McKay and Curnow to be fit at the same time. Casboult for mine, he's been a good servant but he's just not the type of forward the modern successful teams are going with. I think if we are to buy into the modern structure, particularly the one Richmond use we will go with Curnow and McKay as FF and CHF with the third tall option being a mobile player who is good at ground level and with his pressure but not ruckman size and they will be the relief ruck.

Casboult is great with his versatility as a reserve as he can plan forward, back and ruck just not at an extremely high level but he can do it.

I will miss going to Cramer St. Lovely and easily accessible by PT suburban ground, very close to the wonderful Preston Market.

Hope that venue does not become dipliated and run down now that the Bullants/Northern Blues are no more.

Saw Barb from the Footy Show many times there as well, lovely lady.

I understand and support 100 % The decision to go alone with our standalone team, but as someone who grew up watching VFA footy live on ABC on Saturday Afternoon's in the 80s (my mother was a single parent and working so I couldn't go to games back then), I miss the old VFA and all the wonderful teams and Venues like Preston, Springvale, Brunswick and I am pretty bitter at how the AFL has pretty much destroyed this historic and famous state league of football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will miss going to Cramer St. Lovely and easily accessible by PT suburban ground, very close to the wonderful Preston Market. Hope that venue does not become dipliated and run down now that the Bullants/Northern Blues are no more.

I'm not convinced it was great preparation for AFL footy. A boggy wind-tunnel is not exactly what you get at AFL venues these days.

I will miss going to Cramer St. Lovely and easily accessible by PT suburban ground, very close to the wonderful Preston Market.

Hope that venue does not become dipliated and run down now that the Bullants/Northern Blues are no more.

I understand and support 100 % The decision to go alone with our standalone team, but as someone who grew up watching VFA footy live on ABC on Saturday Afternoon's in the 80s (my mother was a single parent and working so I couldn't go to games back then), I miss the old VFA and all the wonderful teams and Venues like Preston, Springvale, Brunswick and I am pretty bitter at how the AFL has pretty much destroyed this historic and famous state league of football.
Northern bullants will be competing in the new second tier as a standalone team

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not convinced it was great preparation for AFL footy. A boggy wind-tunnel is not exactly what you get at AFL venues these days.
Granted. But it was still a competitive league in its own right. Much more grassroots than the twisted freakshow the AFL has created.

Won’t be dipliated

The demise of the VFA had its roots decades ago.

The VFA going into recess during WWII gave the VFL a free kick at a time when a number of high profile VFL players had found their way to VFA clubs & given the VFA a massive boost.

Post WWII VFA clubs no longer had the financial backing to attract high profile VFL players. VFA games were still being played on Saturdays in direct competition with VFL games, but did not have the drawcard players to attract the crowds. This ultimately led to the VFA moving games to Sunday & this became quite successful, particularly with Channel O/10 providing a live telecast of the Match of the Day. The perfect follow up to Channel 7's World of Sport.

The VFL saw how successful Sunday footy had become for the VFA & decided they wanted a piece of the action. At the time State Govt approval was required to play on Sundays & for awhile the Vic Govt resisted the VFL's overtures for Sunday footy. Eventually in the 1980s the VFL got their way & this quickly led to the demise of a number of VFA clubs who couldn't financially sustain their team playing in front of crowds numbering in the few hundreds, at best.

Realistically the final demise of the VFA/VFL was only delayed by the AFL's need to have a 2nd tier competition in which AFL listed players could play when they weren't selected in their respective AFL teams. The VFA/VFL was never going to survive another shutdown & I guess we should be grateful that a number of the traditional clubs will live on in the new 2nd tier competition although I do wonder how many of them have even a medium term future in a competition in which they are almost an after thought.

End of history lesson.

all I know is, someone better start growing a tree for msr, somewhere, anywhere...........grow the bloke a tree.............
I guess it is probably beyond the realms of possibility that our club would plant a tree within the confines of Princes Park for me to stand under should the Qld Premier ever allow me to venture down to Victoria to watch our reserves team go through its paces.

I understand and support 100 % The decision to go alone with our standalone team, but as someone who grew up watching VFA footy live on ABC on Saturday Afternoon's in the 80s
Hate to break this news to you, but the VFA football was on Sunday's back then.
Saturday's was for the big league.

The VFA going into recess during WWII gave the VFL a free kick at a time when a number of high profile VFL players had found their way to VFA clubs & given the VFA a massive boost.

Post WWII VFA clubs no longer had the financial backing to attract high profile VFL players. VFA games were still being played on Saturdays in direct competition with VFL games, but did not have the drawcard players to attract the crowds. This ultimately led to the VFA moving games to Sunday & this became quite successful, particularly with Channel O/10 providing a live telecast of the Match of the Day. The perfect follow up to Channel 7's World of Sport.

The VFL saw how successful Sunday footy had become for the VFA & decided they wanted a piece of the action. At the time State Govt approval was required to play on Sundays & for awhile the Vic Govt resisted the VFL's overtures for Sunday footy. Eventually in the 1980s the VFL got their way & this quickly led to the demise of a number of VFA clubs who couldn't financially sustain their team playing in front of crowds numbering in the few hundreds, at best.

End of history lesson.
Thank God, someone actually knows their VFA football history.
Bravo mate.

Hate to break this news to you, but the VFA football was on Sunday's back then.
Saturday's was for the big league.

Happily corrected was a long time ago and with the mists of time, ones memories can become a bit fuddled :)

Realistically the final demise of the VFA/VFL was only delayed by the AFL's need to have a 2nd tier competition in which AFL listed players could play when they weren't selected in their respective AFL teams. The VFA/VFL was never going to survive another shutdown & I guess we should be grateful that a number of the traditional clubs will live on in the new 2nd tier competition although I do wonder how many of them have even a medium term future in a competition in which they are almost an after thought.

End of history lesson.

great post!

now to my ignorant question. How come the VFA could play on a Sunday, but the VFL needed permission from the state Government?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back