Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wonder if anyone is watching Better Call Saul now who hasn't seen Breaking Bad?

I'm watching BCS with a friend who has never seen BB. He's addicted and refuses to believe BB could be on the same level as BCS.

The interesting dynamic is, will he be as invested in Walt and Jessie and will he be disappointed that Saul doesn't get the same exploratory depth as other characters. I genuinely don't know, it's interesting hearing someone's take on a show that he's watching chronologically while everyone else I know is watching it back to front

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I'm watching BCS with a friend who has never seen BB. He's addicted and refuses to believe BB could be on the same level as BCS.

The interesting dynamic is, will he be as invested in Walt and Jessie and will he be disappointed that Saul doesn't get the same exploratory depth as other characters. I genuinely don't know, it's interesting hearing someone's take on a show that he's watching chronologically while everyone else I know is watching it back to front
Lucky lucky lucky dude!
He doesn’t know wat he is in for.

They haven’t been wasted, they’re not really that interesting tbh.

Is Tuco still in prison at this point?

He was put in prison a couple of seasons ago after being set up by Mike. The show even explicitly stated the length of his jail time.

Seeds is once again ranting about something he has no idea about.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
The final sentence should be the end of the discussion period.
There is so much wrong in that article its not funny. But the point knocking breaking bads first 2 seasons is just ridiculous. Season 2 was breaking bads best season.

better call saul needs a big finish just so it can be regarded as a reasonable spin off and not a long boring dud with numerous side stories that went no where and saul often acting like a sad sack just so it could justify a plot point of having him lose when it seemed he had won (Breaking bad also sometimes suffered from this but better call saul has taken it to a whole new level).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Does anyone else feel slightly disappointed by S3 & 4? It feels like it is leaning even more into "business-lesson-of-the-week", the intentional lighting of the aged BrBa-actors is often distracting, and the season arcs just aren't as compelling. It still feels like BCS, still quality, but sadly innocuous now compared to the early promise in S1 & 2. It was swell with the underworld supporting cast mostly just being contained to Mike and Nacho, but now there is too much BrBa in the pot and it is detracting from BCS.

S4 still had that trademark stamp of quality, but it started poorly by its standards (E1&2 weren't as on-point as I've come to expect), and for me is certainly the most underwhelming season in the BrBa universe to date.

I still read something tragic in Kim. I'd like to think that she finally gives up and leaves the Jimmy world behind, living on outside the scope of BrBa (whether professionally or disgraced). But the way she is captured throughout the show just screams ultimate victim to me.
Just caught up with S5 and still having these same issues as S3 & 4. There was such promise and niche worth in those early seasons, Michael McKean was kind of the spirit animal, and it has faded a little in lustre since then as it has converged with BrBa.

Kim and Lalo are still pretty great though. As per classic BrBa, in my heart of hearts I didn't want the antagonist to die in the season ender. Starting to get very dark as well, you can feel the finishing tape just around the bend. The Saul-Kim relationship is getting into increasingly intriguing territory which could potentially lead to some final season Emmy lead wins. I agree that the vibe of the show would've best been served with 4 seasons. I hope it leaves a minimum two year buffer between the end of BCS and BrBa. Tuco is a season away from leaving prison and was out for a few years before BrBa, so that feels the right point in time to end on.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I also couldn't help but compare young Kim carrying the big cello miles home with Jimmy a few eps later walking the 7mill.

I do feel a bit sorry for Howard, although it is consistent to his tonal role in the show.

I can't imagine Nacho surviving. I'd like for him to somehow kill Lalo and then turn around and a newly-released Tuco or boxcutting Gus (kill the killer of Lalo) is standing there ready to have their way with him. The BrBa universe needs some doomed folks.

Kim Wexler seems to be splitting in two at the moment, not dissimilar to Jimmy/Saul, but maybe her break badness goes beyond mentor Jimmy in the final season? A little bit codependent and Macbeth-ish. Saul is uncomfortable with this change in her, but I suspect it is a side he has always seen and recognised. For now he feels guilt for leading her down this twisted path and maybe doesn't fully trust her, as if she is probing the depths of his wickedness. Maybe they both just have the right alter ego makeup to pursue new identities. Saul himself is a lot less likeable and more consistently a dick in this season, as if Chuck's death removes the core need for pretence approval, and now with Kim's evolution he just takes that further. She has more of a self-destructive bent and he is her enabler.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Kim is unimaginably attractive for a woman closing on 50.
1612421455960.png

Her first screen gig was on Homicide: Life on the Street. S6E8 "All is Bright". Episode comes directly after "Subway", the famous episode with Vincent D'onofrio, just before Bayliss's offscreen holiday fling with Medical Examiner Cox and then the gay restaurant ep with Peter Gallagher. Also happens to be the second television directing credit for Matt Reeves (between film The Pallbearer and co-creating Felicity)

Attachments

• 1612421454999.png
    1612421454999.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
So what are we looking at?

Feb 2022 airing?

I reckon the middle of next year would be even more likely.

Season 5 took 5 months to film (April to September 2019 before airing in Feb 2020). 10 months. Season 6 has 13 episodes so it could be a 13-14 month turnaround. It will be worth the wait.

Last edited:
better call saul needs a big finish just so it can be regarded as a reasonable spin off and not a long boring dud with numerous side stories that went no where and saul often acting like a sad sack just so it could justify a plot point of having him lose when it seemed he had won (Breaking bad also sometimes suffered from this but better call saul has taken it to a whole new level).
What utter garbage, you have no idea.

Just finished watching s5 and it’s a classic, brilliant tv.

Back