Traded Jeremy Cameron [traded w/ 2x 2021 R2 (ESS/GWS) to Geelong for #13, #15, #20 and 2021 R4]

Who won this trade?

• GWS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Geelong

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Feb 2, 2011
Hell
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers, Celta Vigo, LA Rams
Even Wells himself has been quoted saying there was no way we were ever giving up the 3x1sts for Cameron. It was set to be 2x1sts for Cameron + future 2nd, then he threw in the pick 20 for Essendon's future 2nd round. That's why it rolled over once the Caldwell deal was put away.

It's just a Giants fan trying some mental gymnastics to convince himself they fleeced us.

The deal was good on both ends.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
There is nothing wrong with having an old team if you win. Geelong's challenge over the next 2-5 years is not turning into Hawthorn, who were successful for an extended period then fell in a hole very quickly after topping up.

We have missed the finals once across 14 years. Surely we are near setting some performance record if we havent already?? If we bottomed out it would be well overdue in reality.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
If you look at the net deal nothing changed in fact Geelong paid less than i thought they would.

If you listen to wells he actually was keen in packaging pick 20 for the essendon future second rounder. He felt it was a net gain. I do feel wells played on the fact GWS publicly demanded our first 3 picks and leveraged it to get back the two future seconds.

In probably a more quiet calculated discussion we might not hsve gotten the two seconds back, but after GWS openly stating its 3 firsts or players, i think they felt it was a win regardless of what they had to give back as they were sticking to their original talk and smoking guns.

It probably shows the difference between the best list managers and a middle tier one how this trade eventuated

PrinceCharles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
The fleecing was done as soon as we matched the offer.
No way, Geelong are now sitting pretty with a shot at a premiership next year, plus a first rounder and three second rounders in a much better draft. It's honestly close as to whether you'd prefer the three teens picks this year or the two early seconds next year.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
No way, Geelong are now sitting pretty with a shot at a premiership next year, plus a first rounder and three second rounders in a much better draft. It's honestly close as to whether you'd prefer the three teens picks this year or the two early seconds next year.

The part that really stunned me about this deal is the fact wells actually got two second round picks next year off bottom 8 projected clubs. So two likely early second rounders in a deep draft as part of the process.

The idea of all 3 for nothing in return is what it was made out to be and myself and othet geelong fans would have hated that. The 2 picks coming back has made it quite a suprising deal for geelong and one we are all very pleased with.

I honestly dont know how GWS fans feel about this one, but i have a feeling not great given geelong is very happy. Very rarely is one club happy while the other is happy, so i suspect not.

2 of those three firsts you still expect to draft a decent kid given what's on the board.

If you rate Cameron at 2 firsts it's even. Do I think it was wise? Not really. I believe Geelong has to completely up end the game style that got it to a gf to turn Cameron into a net benefit. Could work out really well but it's huge risk. So to me was Cameron worth the 2 firsts? Probably not but I hope I'm wrong.

I do however buy the argument that drafting highly rated kids this year wouldn't be ideal for the cats. 2 kids who will be stuck in the 2s for most of that time? They get to the end of their draft contracts and ask for a trade we lose them at a deficit anyway. Draft less rated kids next year and they'll hopefully push in as spots open up so it does make sense on that level.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS

Not when given that the rest of the players get older

Interesting that looking at the GF side minus the 2 players retired and the addition of the 3 new players could mean that 16 players are over 28 years old with 9 over 30 at the start of next season in the sides best 22

28 - 29
Dalhaus
Guthrie
Stewart
Cameron
Duncan
Menagola
Rohan

30 +
Dangerfield
Blivsac
Hawkins
Henderson
Higgins
Selwood
Stanley
Smith
Tuohy
This is pretty amazing. According to Cats posters, you go downhill after 27 too.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
The part that really stunned me about this deal is the fact wells actually got two second round picks next year off bottom 8 projected clubs. So two likely early second rounders in a deep draft as part of the process.

The idea of all 3 for nothing in return is what it was made out to be and myself and othet geelong fans would have hated that. The 2 picks coming back has made it quite a suprising deal for geelong and one we are all very pleased with.

I honestly dont know how GWS fans feel about this one, but i have a feeling not great given geelong is very happy. Very rarely is one club happy while the other is happy, so i suspect not.
We’re stoked that we got your 3 first round picks. You can have 2nd rounders.
Especially after the Cats contacted us asking us not to match.
Cheers.

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
2 of those three firsts you still expect to draft a decent kid given what's on the board.

If you rate Cameron at 2 firsts it's even. Do I think it was wise? Not really. I believe Geelong has to completely up end the game style that got it to a gf to turn Cameron into a net benefit. Could work out really well but it's huge risk. So to me was Cameron worth the 2 firsts? Probably not but I hope I'm wrong.

I do however buy the argument that drafting highly rated kids this year wouldn't be ideal for the cats. 2 kids who will be stuck in the 2s for most of that time? They get to the end of their draft contracts and ask for a trade we lose them at a deficit anyway. Draft less rated kids next year and they'll hopefully push in as spots open up so it does make sense on that level.
You campaigners still having a sword fight over this

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
You campaigners still having a sword fight over this

Geelong fans are in denial that Stephen Wells did what he promised that he wouldn't and folded and gave into the Giants demands.

Can see the Giants easily making the 8 again next year and thus one ot their 2nd round picks they got back from GWS will be pushed back into the 40s.

Everyone knows the Giants won this trade (even if only from a PR point of view) and all the assets the Cats for Tim Kelly has been squandered on a restricted free agent.

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Geelong fans are in denial that Stephen Wells did what he promised that he wouldn't and folded and gave into the Giants demands.

Can see the Giants easily making the 8 again next year and thus one ot their 2nd round picks they got back from GWS will be pushed back into the 40s.

Everyone knows the Giants won this trade (even if only from a PR point of view) and all the assets the Cats for Tim Kelly has been squandered on a restricted free agent.
Brace yourself.. 😂

PrinceCharles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Way off the mark as always, DVB.

All?

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
To be honest i dont see what the big deal is. 13,15 and 20 will probably turn into 16,18 and 23. Geelong done ok

The fact they said all along they would not bend under any circumstances and give 3 First Round Picks away is the issue I have with it.

I honestly think they should have given away a battler like Ratagolua instead of a third first round pick, now granted the player has to agree to be traded, but on an open market, Ratagolua would be worth a mid 3rd round pick (at best)

If they win a flag with Jezza, it will be all worth it I suppose, still not convinced a forward line of Hawkins and Cameron can function properly either.. (but then again, I thought the same about Riewoldt and Tim Hawkins)

For an aging list, they are putting all their eggs in the one (Dangerflag) basket.

The fact they said all along they would not bend under any circumstances and give 3 First Round Picks away is the issue I have with it.

I honestly think they should have given away a battler like Ratagolua instead of a third first round pick, now granted the player has to agree to be traded, but on an open market, Ratagolua would be worth a mid 3rd round pick (at best)

If they win a flag with Jezza, it will be all worth it I suppose, still not convinced a forward line of Hawkins and Cameron can function properly either.. (but then again, I thought the same about Riewoldt and Tim Hawkins)

For an aging list, they are putting all their eggs in the one (Dangerflag) basket.
At least there's a basket there to put our eggs in.

Sav might have some flaws but we have woeful ruck depth. Trading him out would have been silly

Back