Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson - dropped vs Geelong & misses out again vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Rhys is not coaching and we have moved 11 blokes on so I think its going to be less of a problem in 2021.

Faster less predictable ball movement, often through the middle to an open, smaller forward line that has multiple targets will be the way to go - especially at Docklands.

Will need all the mids and flankers to work hard both ways and rotate often - this will be Noble's test.
I take it you where not a Shaw fan or at least his game plan.

You fool. I know AFL coaches that think he is scared of contact. It’s fact. If you can’t see it then your a fool. Why do you think Collingwood let him go so cheaply.

they let him go cheaply because they ****ed up their salary cap and desperately needed to offload him, anything else is spin

they let him go cheaply because they f’ed up their salary cap and desperately needed to offload him, anything else is spin

Personally I reckon he was a 'problem child' in the same vein as some of the classic Collingwood rat pack. Not sure how 'bad' he is, but this is Buckley's Collingwood we're dealing with here, Stephenson having a single midweek beer with his mates would probably be enough to make Bucks lose his s**t.

The hefty contract in a tight cap seemingly not matching up to this year's output would have been the biggest factor, but throw in Buckley's shortcomings as a coach and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Stephenson was on his shitlist and one of the blokes he wanted out anyway.

tl;dr between a bad year on the field from Stephenson, the contract length and money, and Bucks being a control freak who can't deal with folks that aren't football robots then we get this end result.

Last edited:
Jaidyns “off-field issues” pale in comparison to JDGs.

Collingwood f***** their cap & Jaidyn had both a big contract and interest from other clubs.

If you think they wouldn’t have gotten rid of Cox and kept Stephenson, if any club was willing to absorb Cox and his $600k contract, you are seriously mistaken.

You fool. I know AFL coaches that think he is scared of contact. It’s fact. If you can’t see it then your
they let him go cheaply because they f’ed up their salary cap and desperately needed to offload him, anything else is spin
You beat me to it. But totally agree with your post.
I don’t reckon there’s a filth fan who is happy about letting him go

Personally I reckon he was a 'problem child' in the same vein as some of the classic Collingwood rat pack. Not sure how 'bad' he is, but this is Buckley's Collingwood we're dealing with here, Stephenson having a single midweek beer with his mates would probably be enough to make Bucks lose his sh*t.

The hefty contract in a tight cap seemingly not matching up to this year's output would have been the biggest factor, but throw in Buckley's shortcomings as a coach and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Stephenson was on his shitlist and one of the blokes he wanted out anyway.

tl;dr between a bad year on the field from Stephenson, the contract length and money, and Bucks being a control freak who can't deal with folks that aren't football robots then we get this end result.

it's not a coincidence that these guys keep coming out of collingwood. maybe it's the club culture, maybe it's all the media attention and the biggest footy club ever thing, but it's clearly toxic to young men's development. it might even be an advantage for a smaller club that guys can focus on the game without being put on impossible pedestals by the footy industry.

Whatever happened or didn't happen at Collingwood is in the past.

I'm only interested in how he behaves and performs for us in future.

too right!

21yo acting like a idiot when pissed at a footy club, who would have thunk it?!

Perfect set up if you ask me did the dumb s**t (at Collingwood) and got a kick in the arse, now he moves on grows up and rips it up for the rest of his career.

Thanks Bucks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood’s desperation to trade Stephenson related at least in some part to his lack of professionalism in the Magpies hub as he endured a torrid third season.

But Ziebell said he could not fault him when he spent time at the club in his senior TAC Cup year as part of the AFL academy group.

“No one is perfect but (Stephenson) is a serious talent. He can kick serious goals and the way he started last year and the year before, kicking three or four goals in a quarter, if you can do that you have some serious talent,” Ziebell said.

“The boys did a fantastic job convincing him to come across and he actually spent two weeks here four years ago, and he was staying with Sam Wright and he was rapt with him and his training and demeanour. So we couldn’t be happier to land him.”

Collingwood’s desperation to trade Stephenson related at least in some part to his lack of professionalism in the Magpies hub as he endured a torrid third season.

But Ziebell said he could not fault him when he spent time at the club in his senior TAC Cup year as part of the AFL academy group.

“No one is perfect but (Stephenson) is a serious talent. He can kick serious goals and the way he started last year and the year before, kicking three or four goals in a quarter, if you can do that you have some serious talent,” Ziebell said.

“The boys did a fantastic job convincing him to come across and he actually spent two weeks here four years ago, and he was staying with Sam Wright and he was rapt with him and his training and demeanour. So we couldn’t be happier to land him.”
“Serious” quote from captain jack

DN: I had a good chat to Jaidyn Stephenson, and I do see him in a midfield/wing role. I really like what he has to offer.

1606089923082.png

Last edited:
I still keep forgetting we added him to our young group.

Everytime you remember it just adds another dimension on what we can achieve at this draft also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back