Prediction Who should we take with pick 2?

Who do you want at pick 2?

• Riley Thilthorpe

Votes: 16 6.6%
  • Elijah Hollands

Votes: 111 45.7%
  • Logan McDonald

Votes: 86 35.4%
  • Will Phillips

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Denver Grainger-Barras

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If we were concerned with replacing Brown we would have kept him.
So who kicks the goals? Thomas, Ziebell !!! Our big need is a big forward or do we go with Tom Campbell. Plenty of reasonable mids at about pick 11.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So who kicks the goals? Thomas, Ziebell !!! Our big need is a big forward or do we go with Tom Campbell. Plenty of reasonable mids at about pick 11.

We need star mids, not reasonable ones.

I don’t think a key forward is as pressing need as an elite midfield.

We need star mids, not reasonable ones.

I don’t think a key forward is as pressing need as an elite midfield.
Agree and think the club is very confident in Charlie Comben - think he could have a second season similar to that of max king (who also missed his first season with injury) if he gets given a go from early on

pump games into him and fast track the rebuild

Smoocher

Premiership Player
Feb 9, 2013
Sporting capital of the world
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Magpies
A big forward is only as good as the midfield feeding him.

No doubt that Logan will be heading back to Perth in two years unless he settles down with a good local lass.

Has to be PHILLIPS.
Cunnington with Pace.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

I reckon we’ll be looking for goals to come from multiple sources, not just one target.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Agree and think the club is very confident in Charlie Comben - think he could have a second season similar to that of max king (who also missed his first season with injury) if he gets given a go from early on

pump games into him and fast track the rebuild

As long as he is physically ready to play. We‘ll balance the pump games into him with rest and VFL if necessary.

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
Wow, Phillips sure has gotten better in the last week. Now he has the vision and hands of Cunners, the burst speed of Judd, the goal kicking of Martin, the leadership of Hodge bloody hell it’s amazing the Crows aren’t sprinting to the stage now to scream out his name.

I don’t know anything more than any of you, and don’t claim to be a better judge, but when I see Phillips I see a Joel Selwood type, with less foot skills.
When I see Hollands I see explosiveness, size, sublime kicking skills and the potential to be the best player in the game.

I think in 2021 Phillips will have a better season than Hollands, I think at the end of their careers Hollands will be head and shoulders above everyone else in this draft class.

Martin/Danger/Bont/Fyfe/Petracca....I hope like blazes we pick Hollands and we get one of them. The way this game is won now, is by superstars having superstar performances.

I’m no expert and I am not knowledgeable on the young kids like some, but Holland’s appears to be the one or Phillips .
We need to be careful not to draft too many midfielders who cannot adjust to other positions. This is a trap as gun junior midfielders can take time to get to their preferred position.
Holland’s has that forward/ potential midfielder mix

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wow, Phillips sure has gotten better in the last week. Now he has the vision and hands of Cunners, the burst speed of Judd, the goal kicking of Martin, the leadership of Hodge bloody hell it’s amazing the Crows aren’t sprinting to the stage now to scream out his name.

I don’t know anything more than any of you, and don’t claim to be a better judge, but when I see Phillips I see a Joel Selwood type, with less foot skills.
When I see Hollands I see explosiveness, size, sublime kicking skills and the potential to be the best player in the game.

I think in 2021 Phillips will have a better season than Hollands, I think at the end of their careers Hollands will be head and shoulders above everyone else in this draft class.

Martin/Danger/Bont/Fyfe/Petracca....I hope like blazes we pick Hollands and we get one of them. The way this game is won now, is by superstars having superstar performances.

You saw Hollands' before he ripped his ACL to shreds. I imagine club medicos from the top five will be keenly asking about his progress.

I'm a Phillips fan just because he's an out and out midfielder. Like Hollands, who knows what he would have done this year if he had the opportunity to play.

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We currently have no first round draft key forwards. Comben is our highest pick as a forward and he has no exposed senior form, is skinny & injury prone. Larks was a very late pick just finished his second season. Ziebell, Tyson, Cunners, LDU, Jy, Polec, dumont, Jed, were all first round pick mids. We will get another first rounder mid at 11. It is a BGO to get a first round tall fwd if we can.

Im rather embarrassed in admitting this, i hadnt looked at Thilthorp highlights before late last night. I thought most on here rated him around the 4-8 range, so didnt bother.

Goldie size with 3x times the skill. A deadset pack smasher, whats the endurance like?
I haven't looked at them either. I'm a bit over KPPs. We have had good ones recently and it hasn't won us a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gumbleton - Hamstring injuries and issues arising from them killed his career
Patton - ACL's/other injuries killed his career
Jesse Hogan - Looked bloody good before going off the rails off field. You can't predict this sort of thing and on talent alone the guy should have been a top 3 forward in the comp.

Maybe I'm on my own with this one but I thought Hansen was very good defender for us for 3-4 years.

Watts is the only player from the list you provided that bombed without a reason outside of his control.

The best talls in the AFL over the last 15 years are basically all first rounders.
Except Ben Brown.

Also Hogan... How is his situation out of his control?

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au

Phillips is the safe option- will pretty much be a guaranteed 250 games player with a consistent level.
We need to go for a player that has the ability to be top 5 player in the comp.

My top 5

Hollands
DGB
Phillips
McDonald
Thrilly

Phillips is fast and his vision and hands are great, on par with Cunnington IMO.

He is overly focused on his handballs and doesn't seem to be an elite or even instinctive kick. It's the only knock on him and maybe if he was a better kick he'd be in that top two or three picks for this year.

His pace is unreal, his use by hand is too and the other impressive thing is his attack on the ball. I love it, it stands out among this year's players. The only exception or person ahead of him on that front seems to be Campbell. Who is also an elite kick and very fast as well.

How does Hollands stack up in that area? It's hard to tell from his highlights.

That attack on the ball/desire to win the contest is really important IMO. Haven't seen much of it in Hollands highlights. Well ... Not on loose/ground balls anyway. He attacks the all well in the air. Some of the marks Perez took this year were really strong contested marks and Hollands did that well. So he may be excellent at attacking ground balls too.

Frankly I'd rather Selwood over Dangerfield. Dangerfield seems too comfy onfield IMO. Seems to go when he wants to. Selwood goes at every opportunity. (Unless he has the chance to appeal for a free.)

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
Phillips is fast and his vision and hands are great, on par with Cunnington IMO.

He is overly focused on his handballs and doesn't seem to be an elite or even instinctive kick. It's the only knock on him and maybe if he was a better kick he'd be in that top two or three picks for this year.

His pace is unreal, his use by hand is too and the other impressive thing is his attack on the ball. I love it, it stands out among this year's players. The only exception or person ahead of him on that front seems to be Campbell. Who is also an elite kick and very fast as well.

How does Hollands stack up in that area? It's hard to tell from his highlights.

That attack on the ball/desire to win the contest is really important IMO. Haven't seen much of it in Hollands highlights. Well ... Not on loose/ground balls anyway. He attacks the all well in the air. Some of the marks Perez took this year were really strong contested marks and Hollands did that well. So he may be excellent at attacking ground balls too.

Frankly I'd rather Selwood over Dangerfield. Dangerfield seems too comfy onfield IMO. Seems to go when he wants to. Selwood goes at every opportunity. (Unless he has the chance to appeal for a free.)
Vision and hands my all time rankings.
1)Diesel
2)Cunnington
Daylight
3) Cable
4) Mitchell

Phillips is good by hand, but not close to Cunners good. It’s just what Phillips does best, because his kicking is suspect, and fundamentally technically poor.
Fixing kicking technique after years and years of muscle memory is just about impossible.

Phillips is the safe option- will pretty much be a guaranteed 250 games player with a consistent level.

It's an interesting question.

Do we think the cake has largely been assembled and do we risk the cream now? Can we take a gamble on super high upside, but limited exposure, or do we go for the lower ceiling but surer bet as we see it?

How long are we giving Anderson in the inside role? How many years does Cunnington have left? Will we delist Tyson at the end of this contract? Can LDU completely own it on the inside?

Lots of questions, zero answers.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Considering what we have currently I'd rather take a steele, fyfe or Bont type.

Vision and hands my all time rankings.
1)Diesel
2)Cunnington
Daylight
3) Cable
4) Mitchell

Phillips is good by hand, but not close to Cunners good. It’s just what Phillips does best, because his kicking is suspect, and fundamentally technically poor.
Fixing kicking technique after years and years of muscle memory is just about impossible.

But about changing kicking technique - I did it in my 30s. (But I could always kick fairly straight to begin with and can learn new physical techniques quickly. Most of it was fundamentally sound.)

But his kicking looks all kinds of wrong. Like head to think his way thru it before each kick. Ironically that implies he may have no muscle memory for kicking and it may be fixable.

Personally I'd be chasing Campbell and Hollands this draft if it was all up to me and possible. Ie trying to get picks two and three. But I still like the way Phillips attacks the ball.

Back