News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Put it this way, we either:

A) demolish the stand and re build it with Gov help (the same conditions every other club has had) and stay at PRO, or

B) Relocate completely like the Pies, Hawks, Dee's and many others

Option B.

Leave the stand at punt rd and relocate the club like those above to a bigger space where we can have bigger facilities and an MCG size training ground.

That's the best option.

And their old, actual home ground is there for all to see.... and how many people actually look at it bar the 5k who watch the VFL and those who livr around it

I would rather the JDS is knocked down and we stay at PRO than to drive down PR everyday and see an empty ground and know we now train out of some sh*t eastern suburbs facility
Heyyyyy go easy on the Eastern Suburbs slagging...

You realise that the entire facility isn’t being named after William Cooper?
It will be same as it is now, whichever corporate partner is willing to pay the most is who will have naming rights.
It’s just one building where all the community projects will be placed that is the William Cooper building.
They’re not replacing the Jack Dyer stand with the William Cooper stand
Can you or anyone shed some light on what connection William Cooper has with either Richmond or Aussie Rules in general?

Why not?
It makes as much sense as demolishing the Jack Dyer stand.
Imagine the uproar if we vacate Punt Road as you suggest and the Pies decide to takeover.
They'll rename the JD stand to the Tony Shaw stand.

Option B.

Leave the stand at punt rd and relocate the club like those above to a bigger space where we can have bigger facilities and an MCG size training ground.

That's the best option.
Why don't we just swap grounds with AFL and make the MCG our headquarters. We have enough members and supporters to fill it for home games while Punt Road is about right to accommodate crowds for a North v Gold Coast match. The down side is that we'd never hear the end of opposition supporters complaining about our home ground advantage for finals. Oh wait, we already do.

A whinge and hysteria for suggesting supporters are considered. The new development at the Swinburne centre killed access for basic members, post game.

The fear is the new JDS development will kill them completely.
You’re saying we should have kept the old Richmond social club , didn’t even know it was still open prior to the upgrade . I’d like to think there’ll be broader ops for supporters to eat and drink at Punt rd , whether that ll be in the prime function beyond social club members I’d doubt it , we ll see I spose

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A whinge and hysteria for suggesting supporters are considered. The new development at the Swinburne centre killed access for basic members, post game.

The fear is the new JDS development will kill them completely.

they didnt kill anything. prior to the redevelopment the social club was closed, and off limits to regular members because we lost our liquor licence years ago (off mem due to overcrowding)

they didnt kill anything. prior to the redevelopment the social club was closed, and off limits to regular members because we lost our liquor licence years ago (off mem due to overcrowding)
Is it feasible to build a public bar in PRO that could hold about 100 people and operate?

It would be great to catch up with people at the Tiger Bar, than another gentrified Richmond pub

Or is it in the too hard basket?
Post game it would be impossible to get in - but on a non game Saturday afternoon it could be neat

Is it feasible to build a public bar in PRO that could hold about 100 people and operate?

It would be great to catch up with people at the Tiger Bar, than another gentrified Richmond pub

Or is it in the too hard basket?
Post game it would be impossible to get in - but on a non game Saturday afternoon it could be neat

this is pure speculation, but its probably something they wouldnt want to do

logistically you have the issue being on the "wrong" side of richmond. if you go to the pubs in this area outside game day, they are usually pretty empty. and these are the ones you dont have to do a runner across punt road to get to

Can you or anyone shed some light on what connection William Cooper has with either Richmond or Aussie Rules in general?
Our club is committed to working towards reconciliation with First Nations people and is heavily involved in the celebration and support of First Nations people in and out of the game.

I’d say considering a big part of the new facilities is the KGI which is all about providing opportunity and supporting First Nations people, and the BH Foundation is also about proving opportunities and support for marginal areas of society, William Cooper is a pretty fitting choice?

Community is the backbone of sport, I don’t understand why culture and community need to be exclusive to sports?

What does Otterbox have to do with the fabric of Australian Rules football and Richmond football club? They pay us some money and their logo for phone cases is plastered all over our gear and signage around punt road?? Why is $$ more sport related than community and culture?

Benny, Peggy and the board have set us up for the next 100 years. No exaggeration.
The new stand will no doubt be named after some of our greats. But we can’t have them all. Just too many. But to honour both the past and present I think we should name 1 end of the goals after Michael Roach and the other Jack Riewoldt. I would have suggested Richo but I believe his name will be on the stand. And bring the JD statue inside.

He was a community leader, his name is going on the community centre

Benny, Peggy and the board have set us up for the next 100 years. No exaggeration.
The new stand will no doubt be named after some of our greats. But we can’t have them all. Just too many. But to honour both the past and present I think we should name 1 end of the goals after Michael Roach and the other Jack Riewoldt. I would have suggested Richo but I believe his name will be on the stand. And bring the JD statue inside.
Read the fine print, TM.
The state government grant funding is conditional upon naming the venue after a political activist with no footy history.
Conditional.
It is, literally, a political quid pro quo.
Turning our footy oval into a political statement.
giphy-downsized.gif

Option B.

That's the best option.
Yea like the saints Seaford facility say out out in campbellfield and watch the club fade into oblivion , of all the stupid ideas I’ve heard , that tops it . I wouldn’t mind us purchasing a parcel of land on the Gold Coast hinterland that we could use as a pre season training venue and rent out the rest of the year , that’s prob a bit left of centre for most

Read the fine print, TM.
The state government grant funding is conditional upon naming the venue after a political activist with no footy history.
Conditional.
View attachment 1016375
Ask not what the Richmond FC can do for you , ask what can you do for the Richmond FC

Read the fine print, TM.
Conditional.
View attachment 1016375

It is conditional but that’s ok. After reading everyone’s comments I now understand it’s just 1 section of PRO. The programs they’re going to have are fantastic and beneficial to so many. I admire everyone’s passion but we must understand that we are MORE than just a football club now. Just watch other clubs try to copy us. We are so far ahead of the pack it’s not even funny. B. Gale is a visionary. Put your trust in him and the cups will overflow.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back