Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:
If we do trade out two firsts with North Melbourne for pick 2 then we absolutely take McDonald with it. If Logan is selected at one then you 100% go for Ellijah Hollands. The kid looks something special.

I'd then be hoping we can move out the that 3rd original selection for two later firsts, ideally one this year and one next. We end up with one of the best kids in the draft, a later first round selection this year and then two x firsts next year.

Hypothetical of course;

-- Trade 1 --

Essendon out; Pick 6, pick 8 (> North Melbourne)
Essendon in; Pick 2 ([1]Logan McDonald, [2] Ellihah Hollands)

-- Trade 2 --
Essendon out; Pick (> Collingwood)
Essendon in; Pick 14/pick 16 ([1] Nathan O'Driscoll, [2] Finlay McCrae), 2021 Collingwood first rounder

End up;

2020 draft
Pick 2
Pick 14/pick 16

2021;
Essendon first round selection
Collingwood first round selection

I wouldn't mind trying to chase North's second in 21 to pair up with #2, give us much more flexibility heading into 2021.
I think the Collingwood trade has to be the main trade to focus on. Getting an extra 1st next year should be the priority with a bumper draft crop forecast. Would love Hollands but from the vision of Perkins he looks like he could develop into a similarly exciting option for us and not cost us 2 1st rounders.
The only way I see them trading up to 2 is after pick 1 has taken place and only if McDonald is still available.

We’re not giving up two top ten picks for pick 2.
Yeah I'm starting to think we won't be chasing Pick 2 as well.
Brasher made the fairly vacuous comment that "We'll use those three picks", and while that's non-committal in terms of how, Adelaide's unpredictability is the issue I think... unless we rate Hollands and Thilthorpe equally strongly maybe.

If we didnt pony up a couple of top 10s for a proven gun like dunkley, in the position of most dire need, why would we do that for a gamble on pick 2?
Firstly I agree with this, however I think the biggest issue was the Bulldogs insistence that the deal included our future 1st which I'm glad dodo told them to FO. That is a non negotiable for me. Perhaps if JUH wasn't in play then or picks this year would have had a lot more value to them.

If we didnt pony up a couple of top 10s for a proven gun like dunkley, in the position of most dire need, why would we do that for a gamble on pick 2?
All picks are a gamble so whether its 2 top 10s or pick 2, we're gambling either way. Its highly unlikely we find a player as good as Dunkley with any of our picks but there is also a minute chance we can find a player better than Dunkley. Thats the option the club has taken so if our recruiters think that Hollands or McDonald is that player that can be better than Dunkley they'd be contradicting themselves if they didnt trade up to get them. If that player is gone and we hold all 3 picks, i think the recruiters know that while we probably wont get a Dunkley, theyll be backing themselves to plug a few holes with best 22/solid citizens/role players.

I've been saying it's crazy to trade out 2 firsts for 1 player all along. But I'm starting to soften on the stance. From a list and team structure point of view, we look pretty thin in the KPF stakes. Just maybe....
We just gave up a proven KPF (albeit injury prone) for 1 top 10 pick. I say how out for Ben King or the like to come out of contract.

We just gave up a proven KPF (albeit injury prone) for 1 top 10 pick. I say how out for Ben King or the like to come out of contract.
Getting a player like the Kings would be the dream. I like the idea of saying that we can just straight up solve a problem and start a batch of good KPF's developing. Also, if we trade up to say pick 2 (while holding #6), we can put in a cheeky bid on the Sydney guy, and have another dip at one of the Top 5.

I'm not sure I'd want to be the one responsible for pulling the trigger... but there is only one McDonald in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly I agree with this, however I think the biggest issue was the Bulldogs insistence that the deal included our future 1st which I'm glad dodo told them to FO. That is a non negotiable for me. Perhaps if JUH wasn't in play then or picks this year would have had a lot more value to them.
All picks are a gamble so whether its 2 top 10s or pick 2, we're gambling either way. Its highly unlikely we find a player as good as Dunkley with any of our picks but there is also a minute chance we can find a player better than Dunkley. Thats the option the club has taken so if our recruiters think that Hollands or McDonald is that player that can be better than Dunkley they'd be contradicting themselves if they didnt trade up to get them. If that player is gone and we hold all 3 picks, i think the recruiters know that while we probably wont get a Dunkley, theyll be backing themselves to plug a few holes with best 22/solid citizens/role players.
Feels unlikely to me. But fair points. Rather looking fwd to draft night

We could do worse than pick up Robbie Fox. Always thought he was fairly underrated, very surprised he got the chop.

We could do worse than pick up Robbie Fox. Always thought he was fairly underrated, very surprised he got the chop.
Sydney fans are very surprised he got delisted, probably unlucky that he’s out of contract and players like ronke and lew Taylor aren’t.

For a small(ih) defender he'd be worth having a look at.

Still need a quick half back/small defender who can do defensive jobs.

I've never seen anything from Hind that indicates we'd have traded for him because of his defensive qualities.

Last edited:

I've never seen anything from Hind that indicates we'd have traded for his because of his defensive qualities.

We traded for Hind to cover for the line breaking ability of Saad....which we removed by making him play deep and chip sideways..... wait

We traded for Hind to cover for the line breaking ability of Saad....which we removed by making him play deep and chip sideways..... wait
our HB line used to look so good.

McKenna Hurley Saad
Retired - 1 elite game a year - Plays for Carlton

I've never seen anything from Hind that indicates we'd have traded for him because of his defensive qualities.
Hoping we can select the right mature aged guy from the SANFL. Could name 3 who could come in and do a job. Duvaal looks highly promising and the one I like the most. Ask Harlequin Dream about other small/medium defenders in the SANFL.

If we have 6 senior spots open then surely we put a call in to Robbie Fox's agent as a DFA.

Thats a brutal list call and played 14 games this year as a medium defender and started to look decent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back