2021 best 22 (and sub)

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Whiting's Lions best 22 taken from Shako 7 link

BRISBANE
A reasonably settled line-up following two years in the finals, but the Lions have some tinkering to do and decisions to make. Joe Daniher's acquisition means they'll go with three genuine talls in the forward line, with Daniher to support Oscar McInerney with a few minutes in the ruck. The big questions revolve around defence and the midfield. Grant Birchall should be eased out of the 22 to make way for incoming Nakia Cockatoo, while it wouldn't surprise to see Brandon Starcevich move his bigger frame into the midfield at some stage, but perhaps not in 2021. Jack Payne and Marcus Adams would vie for a third tall defender in certain match-ups, while reliable Mitch Robinson and Ryan Lester have players nipping at their heels and will need to hit the season at their best. – Michael Whiting

B: Brandon Starcevich, Harris Andrews, Noah Answerth
HB: Daniel Rich, Darcy Gardiner, Nakia Cockatoo
C: Mitch Robinson, Jarryd Lyons, Hugh McCluggage
HF: Cam Rayner, Dan McStay, Lincoln McCarthy
F: Charlie Cameron, Joe Daniher, Eric Hipwood
Foll: Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Dayne Zorko
I/C: Ryan Lester, Callum Ah Chee, Jarrod Berry, Zac Bailey

EMERG: Jack Payne, Rhys Mathieson, Cam Ellis-Yolmen, Keidean Coleman

Round 1 2021

B: Birchall, Andrews, Lester
HB: Starcevich, Gardiner, Rich
C: Robinson, Berry, McCluggage
HF: Zorko, Hipwood, Rayner
F: McCarthy, Daniher, Cameron
Foll: McInerney, Neale, Lyons
Int: McStay, Bailey, Ah Chee, Ellis-Yolmen

1st Qualifying final 2021

B: Answerth, Andrews, Gardiner
HB: Rich, Payne, Starcevich
C: Bailey, Berry, McCluggage
HF: Cockatoo, Hipwood, Rayner
F: McCarthy, Daniher, Cameron
Foll: McInerney, Neale, Lyons
Int: Fullarton, Robertson, Zorko, Coleman

Ely Smith to play 6-8 games and win a contract extension.
Hinge, Prior, T. Berry, McFadyen all play senior footy 2-4 games.
B Smith debuts.

BRISBANE
A reasonably settled line-up following two years in the finals, but the Lions have some tinkering to do and decisions to make. Joe Daniher's acquisition means they'll go with three genuine talls in the forward line, with Daniher to support Oscar McInerney with a few minutes in the ruck. The big questions revolve around defence and the midfield. Grant Birchall should be eased out of the 22 to make way for incoming Nakia Cockatoo, while it wouldn't surprise to see Brandon Starcevich move his bigger frame into the midfield at some stage, but perhaps not in 2021. Jack Payne and Marcus Adams would vie for a third tall defender in certain match-ups, while reliable Mitch Robinson and Ryan Lester have players nipping at their heels and will need to hit the season at their best. – Michael Whiting

No way is CEY in our best lineup.

BRISBANE

Is it just me or is this a really exciting line up?

No way is CEY in our best lineup.
CEY is a depth player who to me is no longer in our best 25. He was tried as an onballer and in the forward line and played OK but was largely ineffective. His main weakness is that he is too slow so can’t lay a tackle unless they are right next to him. When he was brought into the game for our last finals game instead of Coleman he as ineffective and probably showed he will not be part of our team during finals time. To me he is a role player and can only play on the ball where he can block for other more effective players. He would now fall into the best 25- 30 category.

Is it just me or is this a really exciting line up?
Yes it is a fairly good team from Whiting.
But i imagine most on this site would come up with something similar. One to three changes from his side i guess.
Whiting's changes from Lions v Richmond final
Out: Martin - Birchall - Coleman
In..: Daniher - Cockatoo - Answerth
Be interesting to see who is named round one but a lot can happen in 16 + weeks.
I am not predicting injuries as such just natural improvement by players trying to break into the team
Also age just catches up quickly on some but not so much on others.
We have a few swing players that can play multiple positions well.

Questions i find asking: is the overall team better or will get better with
Coleman's inexperience over Answerth/Birchall (Bailey/Ah Chee to go back)
Payne's inexperience over Lester/Birchall
Do we have another wing that can be nearly as good defensively as Robbo but more damaging going into our forward 50 and out of defense.
Not sure where they plan to play Cockatoo but likely plays if fit by round 1.
Is Zorko's injury going to get better. Can surgery fix his issue

Yes it is a fairly good team from Whiting.
But i imagine most on this site would come up with something similar. One to three changes from his side i guess.
Whiting's changes from Lions v Richmond final
Out: Martin - Birchall - Coleman
In..: Daniher - Cockatoo - Answerth

Tell me that's not a win, particularly with Stef not quite the player he used to be.

Be interesting to see who is named round one but a lot can happen in 16 + weeks.
I am not predicting injuries as such just natural improvement by players trying to break into the team
Also age just catches up quickly on some but not so much on others.
We have a few swing players that can play multiple positions well.

I wouldn't anticipate too much changing. The 22nd spot is probably gonna be dependant on player form and opposing team; Lester would be a lock for third tall currently but Adams or Payne could overtake him by round 1; starting Cockatoo at HB seems consistent with inside word posted here and that backline suddenly has a lot of speed.

Questions i find asking: is the overall team better or will get better with
Coleman's inexperience over Answerth/Birchall (Bailey/Ah Chee to go back)
Payne's inexperience over Lester/Birchall
Do we have another wing that can be nearly as good defensively as Robbo but more damaging going into our forward 50 and out of defense.
Not sure where they plan to play Cockatoo but likely plays if fit by round 1.
Is Zorko's injury going to get better. Can surgery fix his issue

- Probably depends on who we're playing but I'd favour Answerth personally. Would like Coleman in the 22 too but cannot pick someone to drop for him
- Reckon Lester easily atm but Payne's prelim was game changing. He was superb and against a small with pace and he not only quelled his opponent's game he still offered intercept marking. Want him in the team but not sure if he starts. I personally think for team development Birchall should play more 2s games, regardless of how much he offered for some games this year
-No. :(
- Seems HB. Was flagged pretty early here and if Fish suggests it, I trust he was made to think it from the Club
- I hope so. I honestly thought he was playing possum for a while. Times he seemed to move perfectly but as the season continued not so much. He brought soccer to his game with the amount of times he would just kick for territory rather than try and win the ground ball. We don't rely on him like we have in the past but if we could get him close to his max consistently then it's a massive win. Would still rather he play more HF than mid unless his form is like 2017.

I'm excited about the less heralded players like Tom Joyce, Madden, Brock Smith and McFadyen to come from nowhere and take a first 22 spot.

Coleman and Payne did it this year, I want to see more..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm excited about the less heralded players like Tom Joyce, Madden, Brock Smith and McFadyen to come from nowhere and take a first 22 spot.

Would personally love it to be McFadyen and Rayner upping his tank to take more mid time.

Yep agree.

There are often a couple that come from a distance back to cement themselves in the best 22 by year’s end.

Starcevich was tipped in the preseason to be that player last year - now he’s one of the first on the team sheet. Coleman’s not quite there but if he continues to progress the way he has been, he’ll make it impossible for the selectors to leave out.

Hopefully Hinge knocks on the door that bloody hard this year that it falls of its hinges to earn some more senior footy.

I was surprised to hear from one of our in the know posters that the Sydney game was viewed as unremarkable. Thought it was massively positive. I don't know dick though.

I was surprised to hear from one of our in the know posters that the Sydney game was viewed as unremarkable. Thought it was massively positive. I don't know dick though.
He had very efficient disposal in that game and had a hand in a few goals so IMO i thought his game was very efficient IMO.

Deven Robertson will be that guy I reckon. He'll be as good as Bailey and Starc.

Last edited:
People need to remember that McFadyen did his acl and will miss a significant portion of next season.

Might not see him at all next season.
Wasn't it pretty early in the year? For some reason I thought it was at the start of the season so assumed he would be back in training and reserves early in the season

Wasn't it pretty early in the year? For some reason I thought it was at the start of the season so assumed he would be back in training and reserves early in the season
Weekend of the 4th/5th of July. Went for Surgery later that week I believe.

While a player can be back at full training 12 months later, it’s often 24 months before a player is at full speed again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back