List Mgmt. 2020 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
After watching some more footage, I am coming around to Tanner Bruhn if we can trade up to one of Essendons picks, or possibly Adelaide's pick before our first (I'd be happy enough to do 13+15 for 9+ future 3rd or something along those lines) to lock in Bruhn and Chapman with 9 and 10

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Also I'll put it here, I'm sure most of you already have heard but there's strong talk we're interested in Jack Ginnivan, a really smart and crafty General Forward/ Midfielder from Bendigo Pioneers, so it would seem we are looking at needs for our two later picks at the very least

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Also I'll put it here, I'm sure most of you already have heard but there's strong talk we're interested in Jack Ginnivan, a really smart and crafty General Forward/ Midfielder from Bendigo Pioneers, so it would seem we are looking at needs for our two later picks at the very least
Where’d you hear that?

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Just because I have no idea... who are the people in the know? I’d be keen to hear what else they have to say.
Pretty sure I heard Twomey mention it, and on the draft board somewhere, but can't pinpoint exactly who off memory alone

I tend to believe it, position of need and different from what we've already got

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
And to follow on I agree with Giant Strides, which I think I've said a lot recently, that 3 picks between 10-20 is going to be better than 1 top 10 and 1 closer to 20, after Hollands and McDonald those open range players from 4-11 are close and then 12-30ish is close again
I also agree. The other thing we need to do is not then extend their contracts at a ridiculously high level like with Aiden Bonar. It would be great if draftees had to sign a 3:year initial deal.

Last edited:

combaning

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
I also agree. The other thing we need to do is not then extend their contracts at a ridicuosly high level like with aiden bonar. It would be great if draftees had to sign a 3:year initial deal.

First rounders should be a minimum 3 year contract with a "non-negotiable" fourth year trigger (e.g. 10 games first year, 25 games by year 2 or 40 games by end year 3). There should also be pay increment or games bonuses in that 3-4 year contracts so young stars are rewarded sensibly for playing.

Second rounders should be a minimum 3 year contract without the fourth year triggers.

Third round and onwards happy with a 2 year contract.

This would also sharpen recruiters somewhat.

Good discussion.

First rounders should be a minimum 3 year contract with a "non-negotiable" fourth year trigger (e.g. 10 games first year, 25 games by year 2 or 40 games by end year 3). There should also be pay increment or games bonuses in that 3-4 year contracts so young stars are rewarded sensibly for playing.

Second rounders should be a minimum 3 year contract without the fourth year triggers.

Third round and onwards happy with a 2 year contract.

This would also sharpen recruiters somewhat.

Good discussion.
This would be excellent if they are fair dinkum about the draft being the primary equalization tool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Can anyone see us bringing in any more mature players? Anyone heard anything?
If I was Leon I’d be getting in at least a couple of depth players.
Unless we see a dramatic performance turnaround from this side I reckon Leon could be gone by halfway through the season.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Can anyone see us bringing in any more mature players? Anyone heard anything?
If I was Leon I’d be getting in at least a couple of depth players.
Unless we see a dramatic performance turnaround from this side I reckon Leon could be gone by halfway through the season.

We also have a deadline of early in the season for Kelly with regard to his extension.

Things go badly and he won’t hang around I wouldn’t think.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
We also have a deadline of early in the season for Kelly with regard to his extension.

Things go badly and he won’t hang around I wouldn’t think.

The contract that Kelly just has to tick off on from us was given to him when he was one of the best mids in the comp which is no longer the case so highly likely that current offers from other clubs won't be at a better financial level as the offer we have for him. Regardless fairly confident he will stay.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
If we are actually interested in a player like Ginnivan wouldn't mind us making a bid on Gulden with our current pick 15 as after listening to Kinnear Beatson on the road to the draft got the impression there is a chance they wouldn't match if a bid came prior to the second round.
What are your thoughts on Gulden in terms of what he'd bring to us? I had probably thought similar to you - pick him up with maybe that pick #20 (which will obviously slide later) & if Campbell required an early match Swans might choose not to match and hence avoid a penalty in next year's first round - but I've probably cooled on him a touch. Mainly in terms of what position he's suit at the next level.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
If we are actually interested in a player like Ginnivan wouldn't mind us making a bid on Gulden with our current pick 15 as after listening to Kinnear Beatson on the road to the draft got the impression there is a chance they wouldn't match if a bid came prior to the second round.
Gulden... who’s that?

S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Buried in Balquhidder
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good afternoon - I come in peace 😁

I was just curious as to your clubs approach to this year's draft.

Are you happy with the multiple, later first round selections given the compromised nature of this year's youngsters and the established talent that you've lost throughout the Trade and FA period, or are you looking to (as you've done several times before) to move significantly up the draft order?

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Good afternoon - I come in peace 😁

I was just curious as to your clubs approach to this year's draft.

Are you happy with the multiple, later first round selections given the compromised nature of this year's youngsters and the established talent that you've lost throughout the Trade and FA period, or are you looking to (as you've done several times before) to move significantly up the draft order?
I reckon the prevailing view amongst our posters is we back in our multiple picks in the teens and early twenties.
Our recruiters over the last few years have been great. We’ll back them in to get a couple of kids who can work their way in.

S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Buried in Balquhidder
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I reckon the prevailing view amongst our posters is we back in our multiple picks in the teens and early twenties.
Our recruiters over the last few years have been great. We’ll back them in to get a couple of kids who can work their way in.

Thanks for the insightful response - given the players that you've recently lost I just assumed it'd be beneficial for you to try and get back up the pointy end of the draft.

Totally makes sense what you've said however and think our club would be thinking along the same lines with our selections this year also.

Good luck in both the draft and next season as well 😁

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
What are your thoughts on Gulden in terms of what he'd bring to us? I had probably thought similar to you - pick him up with maybe that pick #20 (which will obviously slide later) & if Campbell required an early match Swans might choose not to match and hence avoid a penalty in next year's first round - but I've probably cooled on him a touch. Mainly in terms of what position he's suit at the next level.

Given his size it natural to see him as a small forward but like him as a winger given has a good tank and decent speed and is a very good user of the ball and could aid out link between our mids and forwards. But mainly my thinking is if we are after this type of player getting a guy who is from sydney certainly lessens the chance he would look to leave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back