Opinion Our most exciting player

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2011
Greek Islands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tarryn Thomas. My favourite players in footy tend to be Aboriginal, McLeod, Rioli, C Cameron, Betts etc. Players who play on instinct and have fun. Hopefully Tarryn doesn’t get overcoached and burdened with all that defensive bullshit coaches are obsessed with.

Intothewind

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ive voting for Tarryn. Haven't heard much since he got injured and basically disappeared only to pop up in some street art not far from Arden St.
Second place LDU. He nearly took hanger of all time this year, might have been a fluke but just timed it perfectly and if that's become part of his game, 70m drill passes will be his side trick.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tarryn Thomas. My favourite players in footy tend to be Aboriginal, McLeod, Rioli, C Cameron, Betts etc. Players who play on instinct and have fun. Hopefully Tarryn doesn’t get overcoached and burdened with all that defensive bullshit coaches are obsessed with.

Yep offensive pressure seems more important than kicking goals!

Hopefully Tarryn becomes a mid part time anyway

I think our most important player is going to be Bailey Scott. But it'll in an under the radar kind of way, because he's not flashy, he's just sensible, skilled, and dependable. He's the player I thought had matured the most by a country mile this year. He's going to be very important to our consistency, and I think he needs to be in the side for as many games as possible. He's a bit of the quiet, unheralded glue, and I still say that one day he will be our Captain.

Anyways, TT is my most exciting, but Bailey's my overall fave player.
Great summary of where Bailey is at. Completely agree with you, and I think he'll be a future leader too.

davefromjerra

All Australian
Mar 3, 2005
Magnetic Island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Zurhaar - got a touch of Byron Pickett about him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good thread, just shows we have some real solid youth.
My choice will be Kyron, give him a run without injury and he'll exploded out there.
Curtis will be the next Fyfe, but with attitude, love how he goes about it.
Hope you are right on both mate.....but Fyfe attitude is pretty awesome already. Just goes and gets the ball. Love that.

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Could genuinely be any of Jy, LDU or TT.

Add in Taylor, Larkey, Zurhaar, Bailey, Stephenson, McKay, Hayden, Mahoney and I'm really excited for the future. I don't think there's a better crop of young players at any other club in the league right now.

Gold Coast are probably the closest with King, Rankine, Lukosius, Rowell and Anderson.

Port and Freo have some future stars too but I don't think they have as many kids with the upside ours do.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Absolutely no-one outside of the most one eyed supporter would rank our kids over that of King, Rankine, Lukosius, Rowell and Anderson.

LangdonA

Draftee
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
My list for most exciting players (from what I've seen and just the kids):
1. LDU, Fast, clean and confident, if he has an uninterrupted season next year he will explode onto the scence as an A grade player
2. Curtis Taylor, great one-on-one player with a good kick, nothing more to say.
3. Jaidyn Stephenson, obviously he didn't have a good year but still has that massive upside potential. I also reckon we can cure him from being scared of the contest
4. Jy Simpkin, already an established player and a good ball winner.
5. Nick Larkey, composed in front of goals and averaging 1.4 goals a game is a good effort considering how terrible we were at moving the ball this year.
6. Tarryn Thomas, most upside out of all of these players and had a fantastic first season but dropped off and is a bit slow when it comes to disposing the ball, still has a lot of potential.
7. Bailey Scott, as composed as it gets when it comes to going for set-shots and kicking in general, combine that with his pace and he has potential to be a gun wingman.

GAP

8. Flynn Perez, like this mans physicality because he isn't scared or hurt at all by the contest. For someone that was pick 35 and was out for 18 months he had no right to play any games but he did and showed a lot.
9. Ben McKay, gonna be a gun shut-down defender, not much more to say
10. Kyron Hayden, has it all as a small defender really.
11. Cameron Zurhaar, very impressed with his 2019 season but this year he dropped off, butchered the ball more times than I'd want to admit and felt like he'd go missing alongside his lowered defensive efforts.
12. Jack Mahony, just a good player, that's it really

Our future is in good hands, don't mess this up North.
Do Aidan Corr and Lachie Young get into the side ahead of McKay though?

This thread is hypothesising on potential.

On actual output from our kids Jy is head and shoulders above the rest. He placed in the Syd and if he didn't do his ankle he may well have won it.

LDU is getting there, and TT has shown flashes.

The one we most need to succeed is Souva. IF he can't stand up to the weight being placed on his shoulders we are gonna be real dysfunctional real quick.

There was a time where when Paul Ahern was the most exciting player on our list. Dismantled the Eagles, did some ridiculous s**t against Sydney and was tagged in his 7th game. Then he fell off the face of the earth.

I would suggest until these players hit a level of consistency we're not going to be able to discern potential from reality.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Not at all. Young is a completely different style of player to McKay so not and apples to apples comparison to a 200cm and 100kg KPD.

I see Corr more as the second or third tall defender behind Tarrant and Mckay with much more of a roaming and rebounding brief than McKay. Josh Walker is the one edged out by Corr.

McKay had such a breakthrough year it would be absolute madness not to keep him in the team now.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This thread is hypothesising on potential.

On actual output from our kids Jy is head and shoulders above the rest. He placed in the Syd and if he didn't do his ankle he may well have won it.

LDU is getting there, and TT has shown flashes.

The one we most need to succeed is Souva. IF he can't stand up to the weight being placed on his shoulders we are gonna be real dysfunctional real quick.

There was a time where when Paul Ahern was the most exciting player on our list. Dismantled the Eagles, did some ridiculous sh*t against Sydney and was tagged in his 7th game. Then he fell off the face of the earth.

I would suggest until these players hit a level of consistency we're not going to be able to discern potential from reality.

Reasonable points. Yes, it is hypothesizing on potential but what encourages me about this thread is there is a good cross-section of players getting into the conversation. Valid cases can be made for Jy, TT, Stepho, LDU, Scott, Taylor, Perez, Zurhaar, Larkey, McKay just to name 10, we haven't seen Comben at senior level yet, and in two weeks we will have two or three more very high draft picks on the list.

IMHO I think we've seen enough from LDU to believe he has the most potential upside and could be anything.

As you point out they have to work hard and deliver on it though. We have just delisted two absolute enigmas off our list in Ahern and Mason, who both had amazing attributes and at their best looked like they were going to be stars but just faded away.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Dom Tyson.

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Corr in , Young ?

Plenty of candidates to choose from, and i rate them all, but not much love for Nick Larkey so far, always remember, big men take time, not yet 23yo, and <30 games under his belt, marking and goal kicking technique are A grade, upside is huge, and proven goal kickers are blue chip commodities.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Plenty of candidates to choose from, and i rate them all, but not much love for Nick Larkey so far, always remember, big men take time, not yet 23yo, and <30 games under his belt, marking and goal kicking technique are A grade, upside is huge, and proven goal kickers are blue chip commodities.
Ben Brown says hi.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back