Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Jed Hagan in our NGA,

He’s a 2022 Draft eligible kid isn’t he?

Remember Tom Swift was the best 16 yo of his era - Fyfe could not make the firsts at school at the same age.

So good... thought about copying some bits and pieces in here but too many to do that... read it.

Ok just one...

Jaren Carr almost gave us the highlight of the night after flying over a pack at the top of attacking 50 to nearly bring down a screamer, while Conrad Williams raised eyebrows himself showing off his blistering pace when finding open space on the wing.

So good... thought about copying some bits and pieces in here but too many to do that... read it.

Ok just one...

Jaren Carr almost gave us the highlight of the night after flying over a pack at the top of attacking 50 to nearly bring down a screamer, while Conrad Williams raised eyebrows himself showing off his blistering pace when finding open space on the wing.

"It was a lively first half of the match between Fremantle and West Coast, with the game getting off to a quick start thanks to a strong Tryse Rioli mark and goal."

"Yarran hit back for Freo capitalising off of a great passage of play, once again involving Tryse Rioli."

Guaranteed premiership within 3 years once we recruit Tryse :cool:

I like Beatson’s idea about changing the bidding situation. It makes a lot of sense and would certainly take away the false bidding to get a club to match early. For those that haven’t seen it, he’s suggesting that if a club doesn’t match the bid, they then move up the order and get the very next pick.

It looked to me like they wanted to be able to trade their academy players for the next pick in the draft, pretty soon they will be one of the only clubs that can do it so it means their academy will guarantee them access to an extra top player no matter what.

I'm not sure the system was intended to give access to an extra elite player no matter what, if they don't choose to match the already discounted bid value then they are choosing other talent over them already.

I like Beatson’s idea about changing the bidding situation. It makes a lot of sense and would certainly take away the false bidding to get a club to match early. For those that haven’t seen it, he’s suggesting that if a club doesn’t match the bid, they then move up the order and get the very next pick.

Won’t be a problem for clubs outside of Father sons and Northern Academies from next year...

I would rather go the other way to stop clubs like Sydney from using junk selections to match top ten selections, like they’ve done in the past and like they’re planning on doing again this year.

To match a Campbell bid, assuming it’s a top ten pick, Sydney should need to give up at least a late first round pick (plus scraps) to get him. They’d need to trade such pick in but to get something good you should have to give something good, not just a bundle of garbage. It’s the BigFooty three spuds for one gun logic being applied to the draft and it stinks.

Is it just me or are a lot more kids getting injured before getting drafted? The U18s' pace must have really picked up in the last few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney never want to pay reasonable value for their academy kids. Complained incessantly about having to pay anything for Heeny and Mills. They actually came out publicly and told clubs not to make a high bid on Heeney because he isn't as good as people are saying. I totally ignore anything Sydney say about academy bidding.

Surprised you like it, seems insane. System isn’t meant to give you automatic access to elite talent because you have a kid in the NGA. If they don’t rate the kid that high, don’t match the bid and use your picks somewhere else

Surprised you like it, seems insane. System isn’t meant to give you automatic access to elite talent because you have a kid in the NGA. If they don’t rate the kid that high, don’t match the bid and use your picks somewhere else

I don’t see it giving you automatic access at all. I see it as proving the true market value of an academy pick and would certainly take away the false early bids to try and get a club to “overpay” (in points).

Is it just me or are a lot more kids getting injured before getting drafted? The U18s' pace must have really picked up in the last few years.

I’d suggest the pressure to build muscle, a strong core and endurance along with trying to improve speed would have a lot to do with it.

I don’t see it giving you automatic access at all. I see it as proving the true market value of an academy pick and would certainly take away the false early bids to try and get a club to “overpay” (in points).
How many false bids forcing clubs to overpay have there actually been?
Most bids come after their true value in an open draft, eg Tom Green last year.

Roger Hayden coaching the NGA team? What happened to Tendai?

And the Naitanui ‘cult of personality’ continues at the Dirty Birds it seems.

Does give you easy access to top talent regardless of where you finish though, especially for Sydney who have defs had more top 10 academy players than anyone else. No way these picks need more concessions for them.

Any over pay because of a early bid is mitigated by the discount anyway

Roger Hayden coaching the NGA team? What happened to Tendai?

And the Naitanui ‘cult of personality’ continues at the Dirty Birds it seems.

Mzungu is now a development coach for the Freo boys. Him and Hayden swiched roles it seems.

Henry seemed a bit of a false bid, went super early tbh and was Carlton stalling for time knowing we would match

Under the current rules we wouldn’t know. Clubs are having to match because they don’t have much of a choice, but if they were getting the value of the bid in return, then suddenly there’s a choice.

What’s say for example GWS bids on Walker at pick 13. Do we match? We have to weigh up what we think Walker is worth to us and compare it with who we’d get at our next pick, 19 picks later at 32. I doubt we pass and don’t match but was that really his true market value? No, because we were having to compare him to pick 32, but under this suggestion we value him against pick 14, a true comparison to the bid.

Does give you easy access to top talent regardless of where you finish though, especially for Sydney who have defs had more top 10 academy players than anyone else. No way these picks need more concessions for them.

Any over pay because of a early bid is mitigated by the discount anyway

Yeah, I don’t fully understand the discounts etc so maybe I’m missing something. See above for how I see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back