List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely different situations. Rantall came back to football and played in the TAC Cup and the U-18 National championships.

This bloke hasn't played football since he was 12 years old. No club is going to give up a list spot for that. This is the exact scenario the Cat B rookie pathway should be used for.

it would be good for the opportunity to go to new zealanders, americans, gaelic players of course, papau new guineans like the GC Suns are trialling

This guy is also coming back to footy? and ff those competitions ran this year he could have participated?
18 and lives in melbourne. if he isn't worth a spot atm those pathways will be back next year and he can prove his worth like any other and clubs will look again next draft
regardless could be subject to the bidding system.

Fox was one of our best players. Ditching him is ludicrous. Severely under valued by Horse who used him everywhere like Dawson, Allir and others.

We might end up having to get DGB simply because we would not offer Allir a fair contract.

I would miss Fox. Our list is in a very different place to where it was in 2013. We're not exactly chockers with senior players who aren't either perennially injured, on the wrong side of 30, or not great to watch.

And what kind of message would it send to the playing group if you can elevate yourself from a NEAFL stalwart to a regular member of the 22 - and a very good contributor at that - and still be snubbed for an award you deserved, then ousted from the team/list? That hard work... doesn't pay off.

The list is different every year. But the basic tenants remain the same - improve the list where possible

If you're gonna ditch Fox it's basically saying that anyone over the age of 25 shouldn't be given a contract to a developing team. Which is absolutely nuts.

Not sure I agree with this. I think from a culture perspective seasons like Fox’s this year need to be rewarded with a contract. Same with Clarke. Show improvement and you get extended. Now if he’s hit his ceiling and doesn’t continue to improve, well fair enough then.
But your rookie listers and lesser profile types need to see persistence and improvement rewarded.

A rookie list player is still a contract. I only suggested we may do it for list management purposes to move the pieces around for maximum list benefit.

Not sure I’ve suggested ditching Fox.

A rookie list player is still a contract. I only suggested we may do it for list management purposes to move the pieces around for maximum list benefit.

Not sure I’ve suggested ditching Fox.

can we put jpk on one? It is as ludicrous.

No, it isn't. One is the captain of the club, the other is a fringe player on our best team.

one was integral to better performances and the other a cooked player out of step with the game plan.

it would be good for the opportunity to go to new zealanders, americans, gaelic players of course, papau new guineans like the GC Suns are trialling

They do go to them, constantly. Geelong themselves have an Irishman as a at B rookie. Nabbing blokes from other sports is just as legitimate as recruiting internationals. Particularly as international travel is so restricted right now.

This guy is also coming back to footy? and ff those competitions ran this year he could have participated?

No, he literally couldn't. There was a global pandemic mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One year was the story v 4 from Port. He will be a top 10 player with them because Hinkley does it better.

Hinkley Win/Loss = 99-71 (58%) Top 8 4x, Top 4 1x, Minor Premier 1x, Grand Final 0x, Flags 0x

Longmire Win/Loss = 134-79 (63%) Top 8 8x, Top 4 5x, Minor Premier 2x, Grand Final 3x, Flags 1x

They do go to them, constantly. Geelong themselves have an Irishman as a at B rookie. Nabbing blokes from other sports is just as legitimate as recruiting internationals. Particularly as international travel is so restricted right now.

No, he literally couldn't. There was a global pandemic mate.

Im totally aware..
Its legitimate
Its within the rules

its still arbitrary and ultimately unfair.
they could still be subject to the bidding system and clubs should pay an associated draft cost.

Yes....
and as said, if those competitions did go ahead he coulldve participated.. just as he could participate next year..

Im totally aware..
Its legitimate
Its within the rules

its still arbitrary and ultimately unfair.
they could still be subject to the bidding system and clubs should pay an associated draft cost.

Yes....
and as said, if those competitions did go ahead he coulldve participated.. just as he could participate next year..
I do think it is reasonable to expect players selected through the draft process to be accessible to all clubs participating within the draft. A nomination and bidding system like the academies would seem appropriate to me.

Maybe nobody else would be interested in which case he would probably take it.

He more than admirably performed a role for us this year but if we are moving forward I’d hope we would push the likes of Fox out of the team.
There are others who are less useful and with no better upside. Must admit I am a fan.

Fox was one of our best players. Ditching him is ludicrous. Severely under valued by Horse who used him everywhere like Dawson, Allir and others.

We might end up having to get DGB simply because we would not offer Allir a fair contract.
Aliir had a year to run. No doubt he told us what Port had offered him. 4 years on good $. My assumption is that either the length or the $ or both were more than we thought he was worth. That plus a pick was enough to tilt the board. Such is life. No disrespect on any side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back