Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

That being said I repeatedly told people here that Alan was not in to H and definitely was not gay . What you all don’t get is that he was only one year out of high school and was just a kid and on the dole . He worked on the coke truck when he was 15 after leaving school then stopped when he was still only 15 same 18 mths before he was taken . The dole in 1979 was about $60 a fortnight that’s $30 a week . In 1979 a point of H was about $40 now you tell me how the hell could he be on H or even playing with it when he was paying mom $15 a week then there was smoke and beer and going out aka (footy ) bus and entry and going to night clubs ( the PJs ) in Salisbury . If he was taking H on top of that how ???

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't think he was using H. But that's based on nothing else but me trusting your view and a bit of instinct.

But, the media have stated he was "starting to experiment". He was hanging in the city a lot. Allegedly Darko introduced Szach to Stevenson. There's rumours drugs were about.

There's also no shortage of teenagers with no money using H. Add to that, it's not likely someone who starts dabbling in H goes home and tells their younger sibling. Then, there's Garry Wayne Place. He says he saw Alan with Darko hanging with Bevo and the boys. He also said he Alan told him he has sex with dudes for drugs.

That's what has been said. I didn't say it. No one here said it. But on all fronts people should be open minded and objective.

Hi Charlie,

I think you said earlier that Garry Place went to school with Alan but wasn’t a friend of his, and they were definitely not mates when Alan was taken.

The police have said that enough of his evidence matches other information so they believed he was credible.

Do you know how he ended up being a witness? Did someone drop him in it? Did he come forward and volunteer his info?

Hi Charlie,

I think you said earlier that Garry Place went to school with Alan but wasn’t a friend of his, and they were definitely not mates when Alan was taken.

The police have said that enough of his evidence matches other information so they believed he was credible.

Do you know how he ended up being a witness? Did someone drop him in it? Did he come forward and volunteer his info?

The cops had a story that Alan was in Elizabeth the week he was missing . Like I said the cops have been chasing their tails for years . The gay community had came up with stories to show that they were helping the cops but were telling stories to cover they butts ( pardon the punt ) . If Alan was anywhere close to home he would have gone home he hated crusty jocks. He was a clean kid that way . This is not just me but even preacher has told the cops the same thing that I did . The bull s**t is so high in all of this that you need wings to stay above it . As I said I know more then the cops as I am not held back by not crossing lines they can’t .

Last edited:

I was with Alan a lot when he went to town and Place was full of it . I put the hard word on him and he ran as he knew he was bull shitting . Why was it that he did not came forward with this story until the media came up with it . I had seen Place over 500 times in the years after Alan’s death at the local shop and talked about Alan if he knew anything he would have said . ( he is a loud mouth) !!! It’s only when $1ml reward was posted he came up with a story and it went against all what mr B said . Note place became good friends with ****** nephew and became by- sexual himself . If anyone was doing the sex for drugs it would have been him . Alan had not talked to place in over 3 years and did not like him . In primary school the hung out but in high school he didn’t want to know him .

What do you know about that c*** Darko?

Did you ever see him around? Was at any court hearings or anything else you went to?

ps How much older was Alan that you?

* c*** = chap.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 years and no I have not seen Darko

What do you make of Mannock?

We all pretty much know who the main players are. Then a couple of months back, ebook comes out and strongly suggests he was a major player. Have you got a view on this?

What about Mr R's husband? The book also says he was a suspect. As far as I know he's not under suppression and has never been named.

What about Storen? His name sometimes gets mention but he's a pedo. He's into pre-pubescent boys and I've seen nothing to link him.

And also Clocker. Who's he?

I keep telling you that H was not something he would have played with . If you don’t get that then go tell your story’s at parties as I have said it to you now a number of times . Stop the bull and look for the truth . I am sick of people asking me the same thing over and over again . You say you knew mom well if you meet mom you should know better then to keep going on about H .
I'm quite offended by that John, simply because I asked my questions with respect to you, your mother, and to Alan.
You have mentioned a few times that Alan didn't do H, in my post I didn't ask if he did it, I asked if he could have hidden that fact from you?
I didn't mention that you lived in Elizabeth, I mentioned that myself and my older brothers lived in Elizabeth after we moved from Glenelg, my brothers were pretty bad when they were out, but saints when they were at home and kept a lot of secrets, older brothers do that.
Two of them were around the same age as your Alan and hung around the 'beats', it wouldn't surprise me if they knew Alan in those days...
I did know your mum quite well, she was a lovely woman who spoke very highly of Alan, but again, that is where secrets come in.
My own son was on speed, but we didn't know, he was a good boy, always polite to me and his dad, but the drugs killed him in the end, although the coroner has it down as an accidental overdose of prescription pain killers, if he hadn't been on the speed and we had known, then we may have been able to save him...
I'm still learning secrets to this day,
But anyway, I apologise if ivé upset you in anyway, that was not my intention. I just wanted to get all the information in the one post instead of being spread over several posts..

I'm quite offended by that John, simply because I asked my questions with respect to you, your mother, and to Alan.
You have mentioned a few times that Alan didn't do H, in my post I didn't ask if he did it, I asked if he could have hidden that fact from you?
I didn't mention that you lived in Elizabeth, I mentioned that myself and my older brothers lived in Elizabeth after we moved from Glenelg, my brothers were pretty bad when they were out, but saints when they were at home and kept a lot of secrets, older brothers do that.
Two of them were around the same age as your Alan and hung around the 'beats', it wouldn't surprise me if they knew Alan in those days...
I did know your mum quite well, she was a lovely woman who spoke very highly of Alan, but again, that is where secrets come in.
My own son was on speed, but we didn't know, he was a good boy, always polite to me and his dad, but the drugs killed him in the end, although the coroner has it down as an accidental overdose of prescription pain killers, if he hadn't been on the speed and we had known, then we may have been able to save him...
I'm still learning secrets to this day,
But anyway, I apologise if ivé upset you in anyway, that was not my intention. I just wanted to get all the information in the one post instead of being spread over several posts..

Well then stop relating what happened to your son to this . We as a family have never been shy of telling each other anything . If you knew mom she was not one to pull punches and we all did not keep things from her . The reason why I put my foot down on you was you have said this secret stuff over and over . What happened to your son is sad and I have understanding of the pain you are in but it is a far cry from what happened here . Your son died from a OD Alan was murdered they are to different things and I knew Alan very well . We slept in the same room for 14 years well just under and spent a lot of time together talking about everything .

Well then stop relating what happened to your son to this . We as a family have never been shy of telling each other anything . If you knew mom she was not one to pull punches and we all did not keep things from her . The reason why I put my foot down on you was you have said this secret stuff over and over . What happened to your son is sad and I have understanding of the pain you are in but it is a far cry from what happened here . Your son died from a OD Alan was murdered they are to different things and I knew Alan very well . We slept in the same room for 14 years well just under and spent a lot of time together talking about everything .

Your son died once and once only Alan has been killed a million times by what people have said about him in the media and in the streets . Your son took drugs and Alan didn’t like them because of the way it made him feel . Alan liked beer smoked cigarettes and smoked dope a few times . Like I said he was just a kid and what kids do now to what they did back then are two different things . How old was your son ? Alan was 16 going on 17 a kid and in 1979 things were a lot different to even things in the mid 80s . Hich Hiking was something lots of people did back then . My dad would pick up hikers all the time and hiked it back from Queensland once . Things changed after the boys were killed here , everything changed in SA after that .

Look I have not walked away from any questions at any time here and I will tell everyone what really happened and what Alan did and didn’t do but if I have replied please don’t go on and on and on asking the same thing !! If you do you may not like what I will say . So please ask what you want to know with out insinuating things or think you know same thing you don’t or why would you be asking me . I am happy to tell you all the truth nothing more . Like I have said I forgot more about this the anyone remembers and I am not held back by being a cop so I have crossed lines they can’t to find out the truth myself and same good mates have helped . I have the full story of it all and I don’t try to make Alan look white and clean cut .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do not know

Are you aware and/or surprised at the recent revelations about Colin Manock? There have been calls for a royal commission and if there is, it might impact the findings on your brothers murder.

I don't know how you might feel about that but imagine you might view any progress or shift to be positive?

Hi Charlie, I'm not sure if this has been asked before, do you know who Clocker is and what role he played? And what he is up to now? Thanks.

Hi Charlie, I'm not sure if this has been asked before, do you know who Clocker is and what role he played? And what he is up to now? Thanks.

I don’t know that name and in saying that he was not in on it all . The family or group of ped gays who know each other from before 1972 knew how to keep there mouths shut . The only one who talked was mr b and he was the youngest one . Before 1972 remember gays were locked up so they kept thing quiet .

I don’t know that name and in saying that he was not in on it all . The family or group of ped gays who know each other from before 1972 knew how to keep there mouths shut . The only one who talked was mr b and he was the youngest one . Before 1972 remember gays were locked up so they kept thing quiet .

Thanks Charlie. Apparently he was a young man who worked at the clock shop and still uses the nickname “Clocker”. I was just wondering if we know him by any other name but if you haven’t heard of him he must have managed to stay out of it.

Thanks Charlie. Apparently he was a young man who worked at the clock shop and still uses the nickname “Clocker”. I was just wondering if we know him by any other name but if you haven’t heard of him he must have managed to stay out of it.

No problem happy to help you out . Like I said I am happy to tell you all I know as long as it is a question and not a insinuation cobber .

He did sports reporting for 7 (which became ch10).

No idea when he stopped doing tv work.

Seemed a fairly innocuous type.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back