Recruiting Draft Watch 2020

Which do you prefer, if you have to choose?

• Nik Cox

Votes: 53 77.9%
  • Zach Reid

Votes: 15 22.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd hope not. 1 of Cox/Reid would be plenty considering we're adding both Brand and Eyre as well. We've still got Bryan, Jones and McBride untried and we've added 2MP. Hooker, Hurley, Ambrose, Stewart, BZT as well.
Hooker is close to the end and OOC
Hurley and Ambrose are both 30 and the injuries are stacking up for Ambrose
Bryan, Jones and McBride are all unproven and really raw
Stewart amd Wright are handy role players, but by no means building blocks
Brand and Eyre havent even been drafted yet.

If Reid and Cox are 2 pf the best 3 players available at our picks, you take both.

Hooker is close to the end and OOC
Hurley and Ambrose are both 30 and the injuries are stacking up for Ambrose
Bryan, Jones and McBride are all unproven and really raw
Stewart amd Wright are handy role players, but by no means building blocks
Brand and Eyre havent even been drafted yet.

If Reid and Cox are 2 pf the best 3 players available at our picks, you take both.
I realise Hurley and Ambrose only have 2 years left and Hooker 1 year and a lot of the others are young and unproven but its a lot of list spots for KPP's. If we're going mini rebuild id like to see us build a balanced list this time. No good having an AA spine with a subpar midfield.

There is a few KPP in our team but Hurley and Hooker are nearly done and after that them you're left with mostly late round draft picks who are yet to really show a whole heap.
The young guys need games to see what they've got. Draft position is irrelevant at the end of the day, they need to be played, and either they make it or they dont.

I could see us going for both Cox and Reid as 2 of our picks then a midfielder or mid/forward in Perkins with our 3rd pick 1st rounder. Then we could still take a midfielder with our first rounder next year. I think its quite reasonable if you consider that 200cm key position players will take a few years and we probably will lose Hooker next year and may end up parting ways with Ambrose/Hurley either next year or the year after.

I realise Hurley and Ambrose only have 2 years left and Hooker 1 year and a lot of the others are young and unproven but its a lot of list spots for KPP's. If we're going mini rebuild id like to see us build a balanced list this time. No good having an AA spine with a subpar midfield.
No use having a quality midfield with lacklustre KPP too. At the moment our young midfielders are much better than out young KPP

A lot of talk about Logan McDonalds elite endurance, I dont think this is a big reason he should be high in the draft. Have to factor in traits like these that are maxed out in junior footy where there will be less advantage at the elite level. Jack Watts had an elite tank but got found out when AFL players could stay with him all day. Another one is being oversized and bullying players at junior level, whereas being able to compete inside with a skinny frame suggests potential to become even better with a few pre seasons

First you get your spine right. Then you just keep on getting your spine right. Always: spine right.

Yeah because the best sometimes have chinks in their armor at 18 whether it’s application, dedication, off field issues etc or sub par performances in their 18s year or sometimes they are too raw and recruiters are worried about them being a bust and #1 is usually a safer pick. Mcdonald doesn’t have any of that he’s a great kid with a wise head on his shoulders, he’s smart and you can see that with the way he plays his footy and he’s had an outstanding draft year you shouldn’t be worried about him being a bust either. So taking all that in to consideration he should be a clear no.1 pick and he’s not atm which is strange because he doesn’t have any red flags. And furthermore half the pool hasn’t played this season yet he made team of the year in the wafl. Best junior forward since buddy out of WA yeah probably there hasn’t been too many.
So because he is the clear number 2 or 3 there are alarms?
As much as I like reading your stuff right now I will stick the guys I know who have worked in recruiting and have been watching the WA kids for 20 plus years.

I actually like reading all the views . You can come across common themes that back your own views or judgment or you can find stuff to look for that you may have missed.

Last edited:
I could see us going for both Cox and Reid as 2 of our picks then a midfielder or mid/forward in Perkins with our 3rd pick 1st rounder. Then we could still take a midfielder with our first rounder next year. I think its quite reasonable if you consider that 200cm key position players will take a few years and we probably will lose Hooker next year and may end up parting ways with Ambrose/Hurley either next year or the year after.
I'd highly doubt this. With Brand & Eyre in the wings we'd be silly to go tall with 4 selections after selecting 2 taller types last year.

A lot of talk about Logan McDonalds elite endurance, I dont think this is a big reason he should be high in the draft. Have to factor in traits like these that are maxed out in junior footy where there will be less advantage at the elite level. Jack Watts had an elite tank but got found out when AFL players could stay with him all day. Another one is being oversized and bullying players at junior level, whereas being able to compete inside with a skinny frame suggests potential to become even better with a few pre seasons

You mention playing junior football but with Logan McDonald, he has been doing it week in, week out against men in the WAFL all season. That is what makes him so impressive

No use having a quality midfield with lacklustre KPP too. At the moment our young midfielders are much better than out young KPP
A quality midfield with average role player KPPs has proven to win finals and premierships. In saying that, i dont want to ignore the key posts but we need to find out about the ones on the list. There's only so many you can try and develop at one time. I know its only 1 extra but i think 4 KPPs and 1 mid is a bit too unbalanced in 1 draft compared to 3 KPPs 1 tall mid/forward and 1 tall inside mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love to test Collingwoods resolve on McInnes at pick 6 (as 6 will be harder to match amd makes no differemce to us which pick we take him at)

I really like him, and as a 192cm midfielder with elite pace over 20m at the combine, it is worth it the chance they match anyway (which they probably will)
I've been advocating this for a few weeks now. Why do we need to look after other teams when an academy kid would fit us perfectly. McCinnes (Col) & Jones (PA) are two examples in this years draft class.

In saying that, Dodo seems like the bloke who if bid came for Brand at 40 would decide to let him go and no match.

I am no expert but am a lot more interested this year than I have been for a while given our picks and the need to get it right. I can’t remember a young key forward performing as well against men in his draft year as McDonald has. ant555 foj1 what do you gents make of McDonald?
All I can say is those I know in WA think he is one of the better KP prospects for 20 or so years.
I have only seen a few games watching on my computer and highlights so I could not really give a totally informed view but he looks good and has been playing senior footy.

Last edited:
Jack Watts got found out because he was simply an outside player at AFL level.
He never beat anyone up in the under 18’s.

He never beat anyone up in the under 18’s.

Has McDonald done this? I'd love us to have a genuine bully KPF inside 50 finally.

It's been a long time since The Velvet Sledgehammer.

Also Caldwell was a junior boxer; which reminds me of that time Stevie J tried to get in to Melksham then realised he was in trouble when he remembered that Jake could box.

I've been advocating this for a few weeks now. Why do we need to look after other teams when an academy kid would fit us perfectly. McCinnes (Col) & Jones (PA) are two examples in this years draft class.

In saying that, Dodo seems like the bloke who if bid came for Brand at 40 would decide to let him go and no match.
not sure we can afford to let young KPPs go, unless we grab Reid & Cox early.
Which to me feels like a no brainer

2x mids (if we can't get up to McDonald)
Take both academy kids
3rd pick could address any number of needs.

Has McDonald done this? I'd love us to have a genuine bully KPF inside 50 finally.

It's been a long time since The Velvet Sledgehammer.

Also Caldwell was a junior boxer; which reminds me of that time Stevie J tried to get in to Melksham then realised he was in trouble when he remembered that Jake could box.
McDonalds for is WAFL seniors so it is a level up. As I have said, personally I have not seen his games live so I can not really give an exact opinion.

McDonalds for is WAFL seniors so it is a level up. As I have said, personally I have not seen his games live so I can not really give an exact opinion.

The last two guys to consistently perform at that level among men and at a similar age were Daniher and Hogan who both took the piss out of the VFL in 2013. Daniher was a year older but the VFL is a better standard and he was also ruck size (meaning his physical development was always going to be a slower burn).

The mental midgetry of those two aside, it indicates McDonald's form line is particularly significant. Only thing to say is that, at least as far as I understand, WAFL is generally more open than VFL and SANFL. Open footy helps key forwards but I wouldn't place too much significance on that.

who are some from previous years that people here were rooting for? just curious

Luke Parker was the infamous BIG DOG.

The last two guys to consistently perform at that level among men and at a similar age were Daniher and Hogan who both took the piss out of the VFL in 2013. Daniher was a year older but the VFL is a better standard and he was also ruck size (meaning his physical development was always going to be a slower burn).

The mental midgetry of those two aside, it indicates McDonald's form line is particularly significant. Only thing to say is that, at least as far as I understand, WAFL is generally more open than VFL and SANFL. Open footy helps key forwards but I wouldn't place too much significance on that.
From the games I watched this year, the SANFL was much more open and free-flowing than the WAFL. The WAFL was very scrappy this year.

Geez he moves like Jeremy Cameron in that. The big eloping style running gait

Back