Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Norths rebuild commenced in 2016, and to suggest that it's something we've decided to undertake as of now is just plain wrong mate.

North Melbourne powerbrokers Brady Rawlings and Glenn Archer hit back at Wayne Carey comments
Powerbrokers Brady Rawlings and Glenn Archer have rubbished claims the embattled club is an “absolute shambles” and detailed their plan to rebuild North Melbourne in an exclusive interview with Mark Robinson.
Mark Robinson, News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

MR: Arch, the belief is Brad Scott said ‘we need to rebuild’ early in 2019, but the club said ‘no we don’t’.

GA: No, he said that in 2016, and that’s when the rebuild was supposed to start, but the rebuild wasn’t a rebuild.

Seriously mate, do you just purposely ignore everything that contradicts your narrative, or do you actually not read this s***?

We're all north melbourne brethren and sisters here but let's not be in denial - we are rebuilding.

There's no other way of looking at it. We just shoved out our spearhead and our recent 2x B&F. You don't just do that for the feck of it.
Geelong keep giving me more reasons to hate them...

We're all north melbourne brethren and sisters here but let's not be in denial - we are rebuilding.

There's no other way of looking at it. We just shoved out our spearhead and our recent 2x B&F. You don't just do that for the feck of it.
That's true, can't be denied; on the other hand, the bounce can happen quickly - we've still got a good older core in Tarrant, Goldstein, and hopefully Cunners and JZ if they can regain fitness. If that happens, it wouldn't take much for some of the younger ones to blossom and we're on the way back

Mark Stevens doing his Confucius impersonation.
He makes me laugh with his self importance.

That's true, can't be denied; on the other hand, the bounce can happen quickly - we've still got a good older core in Tarrant, Goldstein, and hopefully Cunners and JZ if they can regain fitness. If that happens, it wouldn't take much for some of the younger ones to blossom and we're on the way back

Agree, I'm not forecasting at all just agreeing with the sentiment that the list direction is unadulterated rebuild.

You don't trade out Shaun Higgins if you hold any aim of maximising your short term ladder position.

A coherant post from you?

200 (6).gif

I'm scared, Hold me

Agree, I'm not forecasting at all just agreeing with the sentiment that the list direction is unadulterated rebuild.

You don't trade out Shaun Higgins if you hold any aim of maximising your short term ladder position.

We traded Higgo because he's been a loyal servant and we couldn't garauntee him anything beyond 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recall when Pagan took over in 1993 and went on the Footy Show and said we expect to make finals 'this year'.

He got mocked by Sam and the boys - nekminnet we were playing finals on the way to 2 flags and the title of team of the 90's!
Good to know Sam's been a buffoon for two decades.

Norths rebuild commenced in 2016, and to suggest that it's something we've decided to undertake as of now is just plain wrong mate.
I wouldn't call what we have been doing rebuilding, just taking players via the draft as clubs do each year without a clear dedication to get the more than usual amount of young talent onto the list. I think up until now it has been business as usual.

This year has been our first clear indication that we are looking to add more early picks to increase the young talent pool. In the last few years we seem to have hit gold with some middling picks (Larkey, Taylor, Scott) and a rookie (Zurhaar) which has helped significantly but we haven't made any real effort to increase our number of picks, or their position in the draft until this year. That we have a decent base of young players should not discount that we still need, over the next two years, do our utmost to improve our draft position as the likes of JZ, Cunners, Taz and Goldy will be gone in 24 months. A significant challenge still lies ahead of us, in development of the players we do have and in the recruitment of high level talent.

For context, for the period 2016 - 2019 we have taken 15 players in the ND with an average pick position of 40. For the period 2012 - 2015 we took 22 players in the ND with an average pick position of 44.6. So 7 more players during the pre-2016 4 year period during non-rebuild phase than 2016 - 2019.

Building sustainable success
“Long-term sustainable success” was a common theme in David Noble’s first media conference on Monday.

By Rob Burton - North Media - Just now

231120_noble.jpg

“Long-term sustainable success” was a common theme in David Noble’s first media conference on Monday, but the new North Melbourne coach won’t be setting any ceiling on the team’s more immediate fortunes.

Noble said he was keen to get started and had wasted no time in reaching out to the Roos’ playing group.
“I’ve already started making contact with a few of the players over the weekend,” he said.

“I’ve been extremely impressed with the demeanour and the manner in which they’ve handled themselves, and the energy they’ve provided me over the weekend.”

Excited by North’s playing list, Noble welcomed the addition of the likes of Jaidyn Stephenson and Atu Bosenavulagi in recent weeks.

“I think it’s (the list) in good shape, I really do. I watched a lot of the footy and there were some really good signs,” he said.

“What I delivered in the meetings I was involved with was all the good aspects of the game I liked and what I saw. We’ve got some good talent, we’ve got a good blend of youth and we’ve got some good experience that’s still there, the skipper (Jack Ziebell) and ‘Goldy’ (Todd Goldstein), Robbie Tarrant and Ben Cunnington.

“We’ve got some good experience there and we’ll help our young guys graft off those guys.

“They’ve (the list management team) done a terrific job in the trade period bringing in some speed … it was one of the areas I was a little concerned about in the initial deliberations, around the speed and movement out of the midfield, but I think they are in really good shape.

“We’re on the long-term growth, we want to build those guys’ skill-sets up so over the period of the time they are going to learn.

“We’ve got some young talent and we are going to the draft this year, we’ll probably go to the draft again next year.”

Noble said he wanted fans to identify with the club’s brand, leaving “proud” after every game.

“We’ve got to set a path around long-term sustainable success,” he said.

“We’re not going to chase wins just for this year, we’re going to chase wins every single time we’re out on the paddock, but we need to do it in a manner that’s sustainable, and is going to hold up under finals pressure.

“We’ll teach, we’ll educate, we’ll let them (the players) fall over and fail and we’ll pick them up and move forward.”

Building sustainable success
“Long-term sustainable success” was a common theme in David Noble’s first media conference on Monday.

By Rob Burton - North Media - Just now

231120_noble.jpg

“Long-term sustainable success” was a common theme in David Noble’s first media conference on Monday, but the new North Melbourne coach won’t be setting any ceiling on the team’s more immediate fortunes.

Noble said he was keen to get started and had wasted no time in reaching out to the Roos’ playing group.
“I’ve already started making contact with a few of the players over the weekend,” he said.

“I’ve been extremely impressed with the demeanour and the manner in which they’ve handled themselves, and the energy they’ve provided me over the weekend.”

Excited by North’s playing list, Noble welcomed the addition of the likes of Jaidyn Stephenson and Atu Bosenavulagi in recent weeks.

“I think it’s (the list) in good shape, I really do. I watched a lot of the footy and there were some really good signs,” he said.

“What I delivered in the meetings I was involved with was all the good aspects of the game I liked and what I saw. We’ve got some good talent, we’ve got a good blend of youth and we’ve got some good experience that’s still there, the skipper (Jack Ziebell) and ‘Goldy’ (Todd Goldstein), Robbie Tarrant and Ben Cunnington.

“We’ve got some good experience there and we’ll help our young guys graft off those guys.

“They’ve (the list management team) done a terrific job in the trade period bringing in some speed … it was one of the areas I was a little concerned about in the initial deliberations, around the speed and movement out of the midfield, but I think they are in really good shape.

“We’re on the long-term growth, we want to build those guys’ skill-sets up so over the period of the time they are going to learn.

“We’ve got some young talent and we are going to the draft this year, we’ll probably go to the draft again next year.”

Noble said he wanted fans to identify with the club’s brand, leaving “proud” after every game.

“We’ve got to set a path around long-term sustainable success,” he said.

“We’re not going to chase wins just for this year, we’re going to chase wins every single time we’re out on the paddock, but we need to do it in a manner that’s sustainable, and is going to hold up under finals pressure.

“We’ll teach, we’ll educate, we’ll let them (the players) fall over and fail and we’ll pick them up and move forward.”

f*** i love this guy

DAVID NOBLE ON…

The make-up of the Roos' list…

"I think it's in good shape, I really do. We've got some good talent, we've got a good blend of youth, some good experience that's still there with the skipper (Jack Ziebell), Goldy (Todd Goldstein) and Robbie Tarrant, (Ben Cunnington) and we'll help our young guys graft off those guys. They've (list management) done a terrific job in the Trade Period bringing in some speed, I think it was one of the areas I was a little concerned about in my initial deliberation."

His role…

"I don't want to have any involvement in the footy area from (head of football) Brady's (Rawlings) perspective. I want to make sure the assistant coaches feel really confident they've been delegated authority. I won't be taking main training sessions, I'll have an input and there'll be certain aspects I want to get right in there, but we hope to bring some experience in from our assistant coaches.

How he informed Lions coach Chris Fagan of his move to Arden Street…

"I went around, gave him a ring, knocked on the door and we had a cup of tea and he said, 'What's going on?' And I said, 'This is going on'. He just had the biggest grin, like a Cheshire cat and said you absolutely have to have a go at it. We've coached against each other at TAC Cup … at AFL reserves and now we're coaching against each other at AFL senior level.

How he wants the Roos to play…

"I'd like to kick goals, I want to score and want a hard edge on defence to us as well. We need to build a platform of capacity to play finals long-term, that's the avenue we need to go down."

Paul Roos' role ongoing at the club in 2021…

"I think we can absolutely utilise his knowledge and experience, he's coached two clubs. For me he'll be a great sounding board, I'm sure he'll be a counsel for me a number of times. He'll be great for our assistant coaches. He worked with Johnny Blakey, he can help out there. He'll be a great mentor for some of our players. He can help us out internally, Brady will be able to use him, I'm sure (chairman) Ben (Buckley) will be able to use his acumen with the board."

The search for the remaining assistant coaches…

"We've got two left. We're just coming up with a list at the moment to see what's available, the type of coach we need. We want some great characters who are going to come in and build that relationship, that foundation of honesty, trust. We've got a forward and midfield line that are available. We're in a hurry but we don't want to rush the decision. Whether or not we can get people we ideally would like, we're not sure yet but we'll try our best to get the right people in."

Whether the Roos will use pick two or trade it for multiple selections…

"We'll still have that discussion. Pick two's great, we haven't had that high of a pick for a while but the option's there. We had a quick brief this morning on list management, the guys are well down the path with some of their strategy which I'm absolutely on board with. If it happened to be that we're able to split it out and it gives us an advantage where we can take some extra picks, then well and good. If not, we'll take the talent that's there."

Coaching against his son John at Collingwood…

"I watched him this year, I found myself a couple of times in the box just tracking him a little bit. He's an attacking half-back, we might need to play a defensive forward on him."

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back