Who should replace Michael O’Brien as Victorian Liberal leader?

Who should replace Michael O’Brien as Victorian Liberal leader?

• Peta Credlin

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Peter Costello

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Matthew Guy

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Tim Smith

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Jeff Kennett

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Inanimate Carbon Rod

Votes: 28 42.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the name of the that big mouthed piece of s**t in Federal Liberal cabinet?
The one who always hides behind a whiteboard?
Get her to run.
They should really get hammered in the next election.

Gave me a larf.

FEPc11.md.jpg

Lollololol. Just how incompetent is this fool. What an idiot. Im not sure if he sees us as dumb or if he is just dumb himself

If Fairfax are digging the boots in like this, with a hatchet job veiled as actual relevance, O'Brien's days are numbered.

The reality is that he and Guy are actually the best of an awful bunch and they both know it.

They all look and act like private school nobodies who couldn't cut it in the world of "daddy gave me a job" like their private school alumni.

How is it even possible that they're so bereft of female talent that this is the quality of what has risen to the top?

The Feds aren't much better with people like Tim "Only ever had a Government job and spend all my time saying Government Jobs are bad" Wilson or James "IPA Robot experiment" Patterson. Plus the god-botherers in the eastern metro seats (Tudge, Sukkar, Andrews) who have all turned out to be hypocrites, branch-stackers or completely useless.

You wouldn't let this lot be the local footy club board, let alone your parliamentary leadership team. Victoria is dead to the Libs as much as the Libs are dead to Victoria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Fairfax are digging the boots in like this, with a hatchet job veiled as actual relevance, O'Brien's days are numbered.

The reality is that he and Guy are actually the best of an awful bunch and they both know it.

They all look and act like private school nobodies who couldn't cut it in the world of "daddy gave me a job" like their private school alumni.

How is it even possible that they're so bereft of female talent that this is the quality of what has risen to the top?

The Feds aren't much better with people like Tim "Only ever had a Government job and spend all my time saying Government Jobs are bad" Wilson or James "IPA Robot experiment" Patterson. Plus the god-botherers in the eastern metro seats (Tudge, Sukkar, Andrews) who have all turned out to be hypocrites, branch-stackers or completely useless.

You wouldn't let this lot be the local footy club board, let alone your parliamentary leadership team. Victoria is dead to the Libs as much as the Libs are dead to Victoria.
In retrospect, the Victorian Liberals should’ve done a major clean out of its ranks after losing the 2014 state electio-everything from its parliamentary team to the way they run the party at Liberals HQ.

I wonder if most of the people within the Victorian Liberals have bothered to read a passage from the late John Powers famous 1978 book ‘The Coach-A Season with Ron Barassi’, with this quote: ‘A team that had failed dismally once (they lost to Hawthorn in the 1976 grand final) was unlikely to satisfy Ron Barassi it could succeed on a second attempt. Changes would be made.’ Yet, what happened? The Liberals went to the 2018 state election with virtually the same lineup that lost 4 years before-and got smashed. And the way they are going now, they are no chance of winning in 2022 or 2026.

In retrospect, the Victorian Liberals should’ve done a major clean out of its ranks after losing the 2014 state electio-everything from its parliamentary team to the way they run the party at Liberals HQ.

I wonder if most of the people within the Victorian Liberals have bothered to read a passage from the late John Powers famous 1978 book ‘The Coach-A Season with Ron Barassi’, with this quote: ‘A team that had failed dismally once (they lost to Hawthorn in the 1976 grand final) was unlikely to satisfy Ron Barassi it could succeed on a second attempt. Changes would be made.’ Yet, what happened? The Liberals went to the 2018 state election with virtually the same lineup that lost 4 years before-and got smashed. And the way they are going now, they are no chance of winning in 2022 or 2026.

The problem is that nobody in the Victorian LNP who would put their hand up for state politics and is electable actually exists. They just don't have the cattle if they get rid of the current lot. Newbury and Smith are evidence of this. Safe Liberal seats used to attract good candidates. I don't think the problem is their selection of candidate, more the available pool to choose from.

The basic salary of an MP is $180k.

No member of the LNP who is electable is making less than that on the old-schoolboy network. That's a middle-management professional wage. Houses in Brighton cost $2m. You need to be making more than $180k to afford to live in Brighton. Newbury probably still lived at home with the parents or was renting.

So the only potential candidates they get are the bottom of the class people from private schools and now an influx of religious nutters. Neither of whom are particularly electable groups outside of safe Liberal/religious areas. Competent small business people who make up the rest of the party aren't interested in party politics enough to run for office either.

And it was this group of people which came up with the campaign platform at the last election of "afraid of made-up gangs" and "they're teaching gay at schools".

I reckon Sir Henry Bolte would be turning in his grave if he heard just how bad the Victorian Liberals are right now.

The problem is that nobody in the Victorian LNP who would put their hand up for state politics and is electable actually exists. They just don't have the cattle if they get rid of the current lot. Newbury and Smith are evidence of this. Safe Liberal seats used to attract good candidates. I don't think the problem is their selection of candidate, more the available pool to choose from.

The basic salary of an MP is $180k.

No member of the LNP who is electable is making less than that on the old-schoolboy network. That's a middle-management professional wage. Houses in Brighton cost $2m. You need to be making more than $180k to afford to live in Brighton. Newbury probably still lived at home with the parents or was renting.

So the only potential candidates they get are the bottom of the class people from private schools and now an influx of religious nutters. Neither of whom are particularly electable groups outside of safe Liberal/religious areas. Competent small business people who make up the rest of the party aren't interested in party politics enough to run for office either.

And it was this group of people which came up with the campaign platform at the last election of "afraid of made-up gangs" and "they're teaching gay at schools".

the pre-selection doctoring of both parties is a factor too

libs having the evan's take over branches to load up with their happy clapper mates, alp having that Somyurek creep do a rinse and repeat of old school alp branch stacking techniques to get his own little powerbase up

this s**t allows idiots to get compliant minnows in who support their own corruption

I'm not sure they are actually bereft of female talent, but the state of the party room is such that only IPA lizards from the eastern suburbs can become leader. I think Roma Britnell has an impressive CV and actually cares about people in her community, but she isn't likely to get to the top.

the pre-selection doctoring of both parties is a factor too

libs having the evan's take over branches to load up with their happy clapper mates, alp having that Somyurek creep do a rinse and repeat of old school alp branch stacking techniques to get his own little powerbase up

this sh*t allows idiots to get compliant minnows in who support their own corruption

Do we really know there are better candidates being overlooked? There are only 10,000 members of the ALP in Vic, or something around that. Excluding Council, there's something like 100 representatives (state and Federal) out of all of that.

So 1% of party members are MPs/Senators. If you add in their staff, that's probably 5-10% of the party membership, the rest probably mostly union members. So hardly a big variety of people to choose from in pre-selection.

The LNP is probably about the same, but instead of Union members, it's rich old people who earn way more than an MP's salary (probably why they rort so much)

Do we really know there are better candidates being overlooked? There are only 10,000 members of the ALP in Vic, or something around that. Excluding Council, there's something like 100 representatives (state and Federal) out of all of that.

So 1% of party members are MPs/Senators. If you add in their staff, that's probably 5-10% of the party membership, the rest probably mostly union members. So hardly a big variety of people to choose from in pre-selection.

The LNP is probably about the same, but instead of Union members, it's rich old people who earn way more than an MP's salary (probably why they rort so much)

a lot of people only join the party prior to running. its a bug bear at branch level

remember in the alp unions still control 50% of the preselection vote

So what is Labor's excuse for rorting? They're the ones who created systemic rorting to steal an election.

which elections are you claiming the alp has stolen (this is much bigger than pre-selection bullshit via branch-stacking)

which elections are you claiming the alp has stolen (this is much bigger than pre-selection bullshit via branch-stacking)

2014 - Red Shirts. Electorate officers signing false timesheets to campaign in key marginal seats they weren't supposed to be in. It was a deliberate strategy to steal an election.

I don't really care who disagrees with my assessment.

Back