News David Noble - New North Melbourne Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Nor quite sure they are being entirely realistic.

Yeah not sure if Ben Buckley is the sharpest tool in the shed, his tenure as CEO of the Football Federation of Australia (FFA) was an unmitigated disaster.

Had to imagine North Melbourne getting out of the bottom 6 In 3 years time.

I trust North haven't blundered the coaching appointment twice in 2 years. Otherwise it would be strange for a club that bans gambling.

Yeah man, we totally knew when we signed Rhyce that a pandemic would develop and force living in a hub that stuffed his mental health.

That’s an absolutely pathetic statement by Buckley. Any reasonable person knows North aren’t going to be anywhere near top 4 in a couple of year. Why even say that?

Your own recent history disproves this.

Nor quite sure they are being entirely realistic.

LOL

He will take 2-3 years just to clean out the current deadwood on his list. You can't draft the 15 new players they need on their list and get back to finals at the same time. Real fantasy land stuff here.

North's list is a 5 year job just to get it back into the finals MINIMUM. Fremantle last played finals in 2015 and we hope to challenge in 2021. Thats 5 years.

Yeah not sure if Ben Buckley is the sharpest tool in the shed, his tenure as CEO of the Football Federation of Australia (FFA) was an unmitigated disaster.

Had to imagine North Melbourne getting out of the bottom 6 In 3 years time.

if this new bloke is able to get them out of the bottom 4 in the next 2 years he'll have done bloody well.

This is a club they couldn't even get the top candidates to apply for the role due to stupid expectations like this. And then they throw some petrol on the fire by repeating an even more outlandish goal.

I guess Buckley has to try and sell some hope to North supporters by saying they are aiming for top 4 in 2 to 3 years even if he doesn't really believe it's possible.

If he just says that North are aiming to get out of the bottom 4 in the next 2 to 3 years that isn't going to sell much hope to North supporters or sell memberships.

Another Fitzroy player becomes a coach! The recent numbers have been incredible for a Club that hasn't featured in the AFL for 24 years.
It goes to show if the afl didn’t completely screw them they had some quality people at the club and could have turned things around it’s makes you sick when you see how much support the afl have given to the suns

Isnt Robert Harvey known as not being the smartest guy around?
That’s an absolutely pathetic statement by Buckley. Any reasonable person knows North aren’t going to be anywhere near top 4 in a couple of year. Why even say that?
well what’s he supposed to say we’re going to be a bottom 4 team for the next 4-5 seasons that would be a great sell to there members wouldn’t it !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 years to get to the stage where we are putting in consistent performances and 3 years to be around the top 4 mark doesn't strike me as being particularly unreasonable. A challenge? sure. But Noble knew that was the clubs intention when he signed on.

We already have a pretty good crop of younger players, bolstered by acquiring Stephenson. We have pick 2 and pick 11 right now which will give us a good boost as well. Our age demographics are actually really good to be quite honest, in part because of the botched Scott rebuild in '16 and from delisting 11 blokes (most of whom were mature aged and either average at best or too old to be any good by the time we'd be contending again) before bringing Noble on board.

The biggest challenge in achieving that goal within 3 years will have been to replace some of our veterans. Taz and Goldy at the very least. At least with Tarrant we have Ben Mckay coming on in spades right now. Xerri is the heir apparent to Goldy, but he's a very different type of ruck with bugger all senior experience.

Fun times ahead!

well what’s he supposed to say we’re going to be a bottom 4 team for the next 4-5 seasons that would be a great sell to there members wouldn’t it !
I think there's a difference between selling hope and pinning the hope on the coaches performance. I think it was just a very poor choice of words. It should have been more phrased around where the clubs want to be, rather than 'David's got two to three years'.

Public has become way to obsessed with the whole '5-10 year rebuild' and cleaning lists with youth.

Got a club that is done with half measures, taking shortcuts and now on a unified path on where it's going, no longer happy with 'good enough'.

I think there's a difference between selling hope and pinning the hope on the coaches performance. I think it was just a very poor choice of words. It should have been more phrased around where the clubs want to be, rather than 'David's got two to three years'.
Maybe that was nobles sell to get the job that he believes he could get there list there within 3-4 seasons

Surely what Ben is talking about is impossible?

I'll stop short of saying it's never been done in the history of the AFL...

Richmond's rise seemed lightning quick but if you look at their results even that was 5+years in the making from their lows.

2007-2010: Ranked between 9th and 15th. Lets call that rock bottom.
2011/2012: 12th.
2013-15: 5th to 8th. ie already on the improve.
2016: 13th. Gave them that last top-up to go on the winning spree since.

2-3year goal for making the 8 is ambitious and unlikely, but possible.
2-3year goal of making the top 4 and challenging for premierships speaks volumes of the disillusions of where they're really at.

It'll take them 2-3years minimum just to get the list heading in the right direction.

I see us bottom 4 next year but think we will be pushing finals the year after in 2022

2023 we need to be pushing top 4 as mentioned by the coach and president

by then our current under 23s will be approaching their peak

Agreed. There's a lot of rising star nominated players coming through that should steady the ship faster than what people think.

Richmond's rise seemed lightning quick but if you look at their results even that was 5+years in the making from their lows.

2-3year goal of making the top 4 and challenging for premierships speaks volumes of the disillusions of where they're really at.

It'll take them 2-3years minimum just to get the list heading in the right direction.

If Richmond can’t do it then no one can.

Totally agree as to much needs to go exactly right and that means nailing every draft pick even the lower priced gems in multiple years.

Having a high pick this season is probably the worst year to have one because the exposed form is not there and this years draft will resemble throwing darts at a board especially after the 2nd round.

Ben is being VERY ambitious IMO and good luck to him but you have to sell hope to the members and he has certainly done that. Any Carlton supporter will tell you that rebuilding is a long roller coaster road and there is no certainties in this game.

Fanciful by Buckley.

They most likely haven't even bottomed out yet (were comfortably the worst team in the comp in the 2nd half of this year, and have now lost Brown, Higgins etc), and Goldstein and Tarrant are coming close to the end, and yet he reckons they could be top 4 within 1-2 years of a very likely bottom spot next year?

Fantasy-land stuff.

They'll be doing well to be out of the bottom 4 in 2 years.

Last edited:
Fanciful by Buckley.

They most likely haven't even bottomed out yet (were comfortably the worst team in the comp in the 2nd half of this year and have now lost Brown, Higgins etc), and will soon lose Goldstein and Tarrant and yet he reckons they could be top 4 within 1-2 years of a very likely bottom spot next year?

Fantasy-land stuff.

They'll be doing well to be out of the bottom 4 in 2 years.
When Benny Gale set the 3-0-75 target, he made it quite clear that unless they fixed up the admin side of the club and focused on achieving the 0 part of the target, the rest could not happen. Buckley seems to think they have the back of house in order and that's why his target is delusional.

I'm looking forward to the future thanks to this ambition! This is why I love the club I support. We have made a goal that seems unrealistic, but can be done if the correct choices are made. GO ROOS!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back