Player Watch Reef McInnes

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's a TBC on their pick, but they have been more linked to the athletic talls. I think Hawthorn loom as the biggest risk. Literally barely hear anything about them every year and it's so frustrating.
We probably don't hear anything about Hawthorn because normally they don't come into the draft until about pick 50.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
We actually go inside 50 a lot. It’s our delivery that’s the problem. But the other part of the problem is the forward line itself. It’s tough to give good service inside 50 when the forwards don’t work together to create space for each other.

Delivery and also how slowly we move the ball.

When we move the ball fast and aggressively we look really good, but when we stop, prop and handball sideways to blokes under pressure we allow the opposition to flood our forward line then we panick and bomb it to forwards who can't mark in packs... Unless Cox pulls something out.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
Surely if they do that and they don’t rate him at that pick they are taking a risk, and also you build a reputation as more of a campaigner and clubs like the dogs will hold you to account in trade periods in future years.

Here’s to hoping we can trade into the top 10

I don't think it's possible for Dodoro to further enhance his reputation as a campaigner on the trade table - he's already reached the pinnacle.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
He'll keep slowly moving up in these articles until draft night once it fully clicks with reporters that he's a Collingwood NGA product.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hasn't been a secret for 2 years. He was being talked up through the 2019 season when they were projecting him as a potential top 10 pick once he got to show his wares consistently through the midfield in 2020.

Hasn't been a secret for 2 years. He was being talked up through the 2019 season when they were projecting him as a potential top 10 pick once he got to show his wares consistently through the midfield in 2020.
Thank goodness that didn't happen lol

ToonAussie

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
mount eliza
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NUFC: f'stonblues: DukeMBB:Warriors
I'm in the "excited to get Reef" camp and have been for some time thanks to the BF reports.

However, I've watched his highlight packages and some full games that have been posted and he's not, from them, someone to use a top 10 pick on - imo.

I know that if bidded on in the top 10 we only need to match the bid with a pick in the teens - but I'd be reluctant to do that based on my viewing.
Look at the All-stars game from last year, he's solid but doesn't do anything outstanding. He doesn't hit the stoppages in that game - he's more intent on stopping his opponent.
Strangely, considering his draft camp results, he doesn't look quick but seems to get around the ground OK!

I'm video-only certain that he won't attract an early bid as most experts are predicting.

I'm in the "excited to get Reef" camp and have been for some time thanks to the BF reports.

However, I've watched his highlight packages and some full games that have been posted and he's not, from them, someone to use a top 10 pick on - imo.

I know that if bidded on in the top 10 we only need to match the bid with a pick in the teens - but I'd be reluctant to do that based on my viewing.
Look at the All-stars game from last year, he's solid but doesn't do anything outstanding. He doesn't hit the stoppages in that game - he's more intent on stopping his opponent.
Strangely, considering his draft camp results, he doesn't look quick but seems to get around the ground OK!

I'm video-only certain that he won't attract an early bid as most experts are predicting.
Its all about potential. He was younger to most players so his development was less plus his injury. I think one day we'll look back at this point and point, and think.... what a bargain.

Earlier this year some people had him at pick 7-8 before covid. If he played footy this year, he would have put himself in top 10 contention.

Last year, Freo matched a bid for their NGA player, Liam Henry. Pick 9. Played 3 games, but don't believe its something they regret. Nor would we.

Tall fast and lots of room to develop, feeling an early bid is coming.
Jonathan Marsh was tall, fast and had plenty of room to develop in his draft year too.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Jonathan Marsh was tall, fast and had plenty of room to develop in his draft year too.

So was Bontempelli. I don't recall anyone saying Marsh had huge scopes for development because he didn't get a chance to play midfield.

Why, just so we are forced to match it, clubs are loath to bid on players as they know the favor will be returned, you are such a positive energy

If a club bids it'll be because they want him at that pick, no club is going to bid out of spite and potentially ruin their own drsft, that's so dumb.

Forethought

Team Captain
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Reef isn’t 18 till 12th Dec this year making him one of the youngest in the draft.

if you look at the power draft rankings all the Draft picks prior have an average age 8 months older than Reef. That’s huge.

Probably still has growing to do so plenty of upside.

So was Bontempelli. I don't recall anyone saying Marsh had huge scopes for development because he didn't get a chance to play midfield.

If a club bids it'll be because they want him at that pick, no club is going to bid out of spite and potentially ruin their own drsft, that's so dumb.
Bontempelli also had shown significant development in his draft year as a midfielder though, which McInnes hasn’t had.

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

I'm saying Essendon won't bid on him

Back