Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t tell if this is a joke! One of the major complaints about marvel is the shade during day games. Makes it literally impossible to see half the ground live and on tv
The issue is the hard edges created by the rectangular roof overhang (as seen below). To fix this, make the roof more oval like and use glass to help soften the edges.

1605915356805.png

The issue is the hard edges created by the rectangular roof overhang (as seen below). To fix this, make the roof more oval like and use glass to help soften the edges.

View attachment 1015869
Of just get rid of roof on two sides.
two sides hence willbe open aired like old northern stand at mcg.
two sides will be partially undercover.
so remove existing roof structure and replace in that way

Of just get rid of roof on two sides.
two sides hence willbe open aired like old northern stand at mcg.
two sides will be partially undercover.
so remove existing roof structure and replace in that way
They need the roof for concerts and the like, so I don't think removing it would be a better outcome than the present, but the place needs natural light during the day. Glass dome would fix that.

I work at Marvel staduim.
The building was supposed to start end of 2020 but covid must have pushed it back a year.
Plenty of fan engagement and things to do.
Once all the works are completed it will be amazing, just hope it doesn't take away from the actual stadium itself.
It wont be as open anymore as the MCG and others are with all the new buildings surrounding the area.
Something like 40,000 people use the precinct (including southern cross) every day and they wanted to capture some of that with the new 24hr shops etc.
DFO on the other side has fallen off a lot so there's opportunity there.

I work at Marvel staduim.
The building was supposed to start end of 2020 but covid must have pushed it back a year.
Plenty of fan engagement and things to do.
Once all the works are completed it will be amazing, just hope it doesn't take away from the actual stadium itself.
It wont be as open anymore as the MCG and others are with all the new buildings surrounding the area.
Something like 40,000 people use the precinct (including southern cross) every day and they wanted to capture some of that with the new 24hr shops etc.
DFO on the other side has fallen off a lot so there's opportunity there.

Fan engagement needed to cover for the games?
I go to the footy not an event ..

As a full MCC member who goes to the MCG alot, Level 2 in Docklands is still arguably the best seat to watch football in the country. On average it's a much better ground to watch the game at than the MCG with the average view in the cheap seats..

The only comparable spot to L2 at Marvel are the mezzanine balconies of the MCC.

I've never understood the criticism from MCG tenanted clubs supporters, especially given it's convenience to all train lines, the CBD, Crown etc.

With the renno's and upgraded amenities, it will be awesome.

It was designed back around 1995/1996 people forget.

If it was designed now, it would obviously be a lot different, but it's still a great stadium to physically watch the game. You feel like you could mark the ball in some positions on the ground you are that close to the play.

I've never understood the criticism from MCG tenanted clubs supporters, especially given it's convenience to all train lines, the CBD, Crown etc.
1. it's very harsh, a lot of concrete and fluro bouncing off it. Some more natural lighting would help. In the day it's particulary marish
2. Seat availability. GA is only on lvl 3 no matter what (as opposed to the MCG where you can sometimes get GA on lvl 1). Lvl2 is always almost empty because the seats are so expensive. Which means that most fans are on lvl3 completely disconnected from the play. Particularly noticeable at quieter games when the home members don't show up to their seats on lvl1

One problem I have with Docklands that no one really talks about is the temperature of the venue when the roof is closed, in winter the stadium is sometimes colder than outside but in summer, if it's a hot day and forecast to rain, it's like being in a oven. One of the Melbourne BBL derbies I went to had this issue when it was 40 or so degrees before a thundery change came through and because not a lot of fresh, cooler air was coming into the stadium (it only comes through the gates for those not familiar with the stadium's layout), we ended up with the latter scenario. Hopefully this rare ventilation problem gets fixed with the refurb

1. it's very harsh, a lot of concrete and fluro bouncing off it. Some more natural lighting would help. In the day it's particulary marish
2. Seat availability. GA is only on lvl 3 no matter what (as opposed to the MCG where you can sometimes get GA on lvl 1). Lvl2 is always almost empty because the seats are so expensive. Which means that most fans are on lvl3 completely disconnected from the play. Particularly noticeable at quieter games when the home members don't show up to their seats on lvl1
-At smaller AFL club games there is GA on level 1 but because of a smaller ground member seating generally takes up the majority of the bottom level at Marvel. You can of course buy allocated seats on the ground level too.
-With dynamic pricing the teams now have control (for the most part) over the prices for seats on level 1/2 while level 3 remains the same for all in GA areas.
-Cant really do much when 2 teams of 45k+ members show up and majority of them have allocated seats, maybe you should have prebooked.

-At smaller AFL club games there is GA on level 1 but because of a smaller ground member seating generally takes up the majority of the bottom level at Marvel. You can of course buy allocated seats on the ground level too.
-With dynamic pricing the teams now have control (for the most part) over the prices for seats on level 1/2 while level 3 remains the same for all in GA areas.
-Cant really do much when 2 teams of 45k+ members show up and majority of them have allocated seats, maybe you should have prebooked.
I have no issues pre booking for a game that has a crowd above 40k. Marvel is just as good as the G when crowds go that high.

My issue is that the atmosphere is severely lacking when more than 50% of the crowd is on lvl3. It totally disconnects the crowd from the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no issues pre booking for a game that has a crowd above 40k. Marvel is just as good as the G when crowds go that high.

My issue is that the atmosphere is severely lacking when more than 50% of the crowd is on lvl3. It totally disconnects the crowd from the game.

The MCG is exactly the same with 30k. Arguably even worse. The seating is no where near as tiered as Docklands. The worst seats in the MCG don't come close to the worst seats in the Docklands.

At least 25% of the seats at the MCG, you struggle to see a major portion of the opposite side of the ground.

I have probably sat in Medallion Club at least 50 times.

Each time I've bought tickets off of ebay for not much more than the cost of GA ticket. That includes both football and cricket.

It's part of the reason why the ground is also good. A rank and file supporter can't buy tickets to the MCC on a whim.

From what I've read of your posts, it seems your experiences may be influenced by the fact you haven't experienced the best parts of the ground.

Atmosphere is important, there's also something to be said about being able to have a beer on the balconies overlooking docklands and walking 30 steps unencumbered to your seat, center wing, probably in the best viewing position for sport in the country.

Last edited:
One problem I have with Docklands that no one really talks about is the temperature of the venue when the roof is closed, in winter the stadium is sometimes colder than outside but in summer, if it's a hot day and forecast to rain, it's like being in a oven. One of the Melbourne BBL derbies I went to had this issue when it was 40 or so degrees before a thundery change came through and because not a lot of fresh, cooler air was coming into the stadium (it only comes through the gates for those not familiar with the stadium's layout), we ended up with the latter scenario. Hopefully this rare ventilation problem gets fixed with the refurb

Take the good with the bad.

How many games have been played in perfect conditions despite it absolutely pissing down outside since it was opened?

It would be in the 100's.

The roof is a far bigger positive than a negative.

Like I said earlier, the ground was designed 25 years ago. It was designed just after the Great Southern Stand of the MCG.

The MCG is exactly the same with 30k.
With a 30k crowd at the MCG, most people are sitting on the bottom deck because they're more flexible about moving GA downstairs for quiet games. Much better atmosphere. (The fact that we play games in front of 30k people at the MCG is a whole other topic tho).

I have probably sat in Medallion Club at least 50 times.

Each time I've bought tickets off of ebay for not much more than the cost of GA ticket. That includes both football and cricket.
Medallion club is only one half of Lvl2. There's also the other side which are the most expensive seats for the public to buy on ticketmaster (not ebay). $100+ is way too much for most.

When you're talking about football club members who get GA memberships, they've shelled out $200 for the season and get stuck on lvl3, they don't have $50 per game to spend on questionably legally scalped medallion club tickets on ebay. There's a reason why medallion club is almost always empty. If it was such a deal, I'm sure it would always be full!

From what I've read of your posts, it seems your experiences may be influenced by the fact you haven't experienced the best parts of the ground.
I'vespent my fair share of time in a lot of places the public don't normally get to go to at the G, Docklands and KP. But that's besides the point. When the general public buy tickets, they go to ticketek/ticketmaster, they don't go to ebay to scalp medallion club tickets.

Take the good with the bad.
The roof being shut when it's pissing down is fine. When it's a nice sunny day, keep it open. Better yet, permanent glass dome to be a best of both worlds.

Anyone have a non-paywall proper write up of how exactly the stadium is going to be redeveloped?

Melbourne’s Docklands Stadium will be redeveloped to include a multi-purpose “town square” under designs by Grimshaw with Smartform.

The redevelopment will revitalize the stadium’s eastern and southern entry points.

At the southern end, a community meeting place will be created, which will include indoor and outdoor spaces, as well as new cafes, bars and restaurants to welcome pedestrians from the Southern Cross railway station via the Bourke Street footbridge.

Some walls of the existing stadium will be removed to create a visual connection between the plaza and the playing field.

The redevelopment of Docklands Stadium by Grimshaw with Smartform.

VIEW GALLERY
The redevelopment of Docklands Stadium by Grimshaw with Smartform.

Image: Development Victoria

The plaza will also be able to host events such as markets. Inside the stadium, a host of food and beverage venues will be refurbished and athletes’ changing rooms will be upgraded.

At the eastern end, overlooking Wurundjeri Way, a city-side extension will be created to include function rooms with views of both the CBD and inside the arena. The redevelopment will also include additional bicycle parking facilities and a sensory room, a quiet space that will allow children and adults with autism, dementia, PTSD and other similar conditions to deregulate from sensory overload.

Development Victoria, Sport and Recreation Victoria and the AFL are jointly managing the redevelopment of the stadium.

“The designers have captured our desire to amplify the stadium’s ability to host multiple events across a calendar year and ensure fan experience has been front of mind when designing the upgrade,” said ALF chief executive Gillon McLachlan.

“By renovating the existing structure, it will provide a more environmentally sustainable way of building, as well as ensuring minimal disruption to fans.”

Docklands Stadium was originally designed by BVN (Bligh Lobb Sports Architecture) and Daryl Jackson Architects and opened in 2000. In 2018, the Victorian government allocated $225 million to the redevelopment of Docklands Stadium.

A town planning permit application will be submitted to City of Melbourne shortly and a construction tender will go out in late November. If approved, construction will begin in mid-2021.

Harbour side snubbed in Marvel Stadium upgrade
04 Feb 2021
Harbour side snubbed in Marvel Stadium upgrade Image

By David Schout

The $225m upgrade of Marvel Stadium includes no funds to activate the ground’s waterfront side as originally promised.

After plans released late last year showed upgrades to the stadium’s southern and eastern sides, a government source has since confirmed to Docklands News that the government-funded project, in fact, included no money for the Harbour Esplanade-side of the concourse.

This is despite continued government insistence that the upgrade “offered the potential to reposition Docklands as Melbourne’s key waterfront destination”.

It had been hoped an upgraded harbour side of the stadium concourse would create a more lively Docklands area both on match days and during the week.

“I’m excited about opening up this precinct to the water in Melbourne,” AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan said in March last year.

But upgrades to the stadium concourse — now more than 20 years old — were focused away from the harbour in November’s announcement, and it now appeared the harbour had been snubbed completely.

Rather than an activated waterfront, plans instead focused on a “signature new town square plaza” that would welcome pedestrians arriving on the Bourke Street footbridge from Southern Cross Station, plus a “city edge” stadium expansion that would refurbish public and function areas that overlook on the Wurundjeri Way side of the ground.

Development Victoria (DV), the government’s development arm which is partnering with the AFL on the project, maintained it would still be a win for the local area.

“The Victorian Government-funded upgrade of Marvel Stadium will transform the space into a seven-day-a-week, open and accessible entertainment hub and offers the potential to reposition Docklands as Melbourne’s key waterfront destination,” group head of precincts Geoff Ward said.

The government itself did not respond to questions from Docklands News.

The news is a blow to Docklands small businesses hoping to attract new clientele with the help of infrastructure upgrades.

The AFL purchased Marvel Stadium (then Etihad Stadium) in 2016 and in a 2018 deal, the Andrews Government committed $225 million to the stadium upgrade.

In return, the AFL committed to hosting the Grand Final at the MCG until at least 2058, quelling strong interest from rival AFL states.

A town planning permit application for the redevelopment has been lodged with the City of Melbourne and, if approved, construction could reportedly start in the middle of 2021.

It’s understood that plans for Harbour Esplanade edge of the stadium are still wrapped up in negotiations with the public and private sectors, with a new functions space rivalling the Crown Palladium still central to the plans.

But plans regarding the future of AFL House are still up in the air, with the proposed move to the NewQuay West site near Ron Barassi Snr Park understood to be “extremely unlikely” to happen •

In the works
  • A restructuring of the eastern and southern sides of the stadium’s exterior, with the venue to be opened up to Melbourne’s bustling CBD or City center;
  • The sitting bowl area will remain undisturbed but new and upgraded internal spaces will be created for bars and restaurants, with some internal walls to be removed to open them up to the field of play. More spaces will also be provided for fans to catch up with friends pre-, during and post-match;
  • A signature new ‘Town Square Plaza’ will be developed as an extension to the stadium near the Bourke St footbridge on the Southern side, with a combination of indoor and outdoor spaces that will be capable of hosting community gatherings and markets as well as hospitality businesses open to the public. There will be a provision of converting this space into ticketed areas for AFL matches and concerts. Some stadium walls will also be removed to provide a visual connection to the field of play;
  • Overlooking Wurundjeri Way, a ‘City Edge’ stadium extension on the Eastern side will include function rooms with views of both the arena and Melbourne’s CBD (Central Business District) as its backdrop;
  • Two new larger video screens are to be hung from the roof at either end of the stadium, while upgrade lighting and technology will be implemented throughout the stadium for better viewing the nuances of the game;
  • External and internal LED lighting and LED video screens throughout the venue will enable home clubs to fully integrate their branding when hosting events at the arena;
  • Athletes will also be supported with upgrades to the team facilities with state-of-the-art changing rooms; and
  • Additional bicycle parking space will be created for fans in order to promote sustainable transp

View attachment 1015869

You could see that before it was built just the model at AFL house had shadows with a strong light over it. Clear roof doesnt stop sound for concerts. he AFL owns a stadium which is compromised away from its own sport. Perth stadium would be the Ideal

Only in melbourne Docklands.

• stadium precinct upgrades facing the city/rail yards not the water in other words a shopping centre, how are they going right now?
  • A big wheel eye which and fantastic tourist views of:
    • An elevated freeway over a drainage ditch
    • A shopping centre which is practically on its knees financially

I predict It will be another place people don't go, and only serve to make it harder for those entering/leaving the ground

""

• A signature new ‘Town Square Plaza’ will be developed as an extension to the stadium near the Bourke St footbridge on the Southern side, with a combination of indoor and outdoor spaces that will be capable of hosting community gatherings and markets as well as hospitality businesses open to the public. There will be a provision of converting this space into ticketed areas for AFL matches and concerts. Some stadium walls will also be removed to provide a visual connection to the field of play;
----------------------------------------

So manufacture sell out game and then charge people to be under the roof but being able to see squat? sounds par for the course

Keep noticing North home games, why are the conditions so dewy/slippery at the beginning of games? And towards the end of the game the better team starts to dominate i.e crows on the weekend.
Do sprinklers come into play? Any insight into this surely I'm not the only one who has noticed this. Even against port, conditions were slippery during the beginning of the game and then as the game went on, port began to dominate.

Keep noticing North home games, why are the conditions so dewy/slippery at the beginning of games? And towards the end of the game the better team starts to dominate i.e crows on the weekend.
Do sprinklers come into play? Any insight into this surely I'm not the only one who has noticed this. Even against port, conditions were slippery during the beginning of the game and then as the game went on, port began to dominate.
Havent paid attention to North games yet. So day or night games? Roof open or closed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back