Remove this Banner Ad

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Could always trade them for picks next year which is meant to be a better draft. Meant to be 2018 like. A super draft

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't think GCS can delist more players next year for those pick if the so call pre listing must be on senior list next year . The delisting players to allocate draft pick is back next year . 10 rookie list players wont be there forever also. Most GCS rookie list players don't play a role like Jayden short , Baker or mihochek, Marshall, Callum Wilkie , they either get delisted ( heron type) or allocate for harbrow type of players toward the end of their career.

Last edited:

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We have to do some shuffling between senior and rookie lists if players like Budarick and Rosas have to go on senior list. I posted my view on it yesterday in this thread. I believe, at present, SUNS got 36 players on the senior list.

Possibly we could bet better players with pick 27, 37 than what's left after Jeffrey, Davis from our academy. For sure, we can create spots for these picks besides pick 5. Personally, I feel in general SUNS fans overestimate our academy kids.
Yeah, could probably get better players at 27, maybe also 37 than other academy players.

But if we have list spots to fill wouldn't we be better off taking Lake/Pescud/Fyfe who might be rated picks 40-60 (that we can get for free)
and trading 27/37 this year for a better pick next year?

We could potentially upgrade our second to a late first rounder OR upgrade our 4th to a second rounder next year in an apparent stronger draft.

Got to consider the list in terms of 2-3 year rather than just the current year.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Yeah, could probably get better players at 27, maybe also 37 than other academy players.

But if we have list spots to fill wouldn't we be better off taking Lake/Pescud/Fyfe who might be rated picks 40-60 (that we can get for free)

We could potentially upgrade our second to a late first rounder OR upgrade our 4th to a second rounder next year in an apparent stronger draft.

Got to consider the list in terms of 2-3 year rather than just the current year.
Agree, the smart play is to take the free locals and try to develop them. At a minimum we then have local kids running around in the 2nds

trade the picks and get whatever we can for next year

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast

My view is SUNS should get the best available talent regardless where it comes from and only pre-list players who have a good chance to make it in AFL.

If all pre-listed players have to me moved in their 2nd year on senior list we are running into problem in 2021. Let's say this year we draft only pick 5 and fill the rest of our rookie list concessions with academy kids - Davies, Jeffrey, Lake, Fyfe, Pescud, Gore. That's 6 senior spots we would have to find in 2021 even before considering spots needed for national draft selections. A new batch of academy kids coming in would affect rookie list. It is also reasonable to expect that AFL will start reducing our list concessions. Let's say in 2021 we go from 50 to 47.

So you would have to clean up all rookies and demote/delist a lot of players on senior list. SUNS would end up with a lot of kids on senior list with a decent chance not being able to contribute and not make it.

I am probably completely wrong but I predict SUNS will only pre-list Davies, Jeffrey and possibly one more academy kid. Total 3 like last year. With pick 5 that would be 47 players total on the list. SUNS would still have spots to possibly add 1-2 players in rookie, pre-season, mid-season drafts.

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
Wouldn't be against Trengove as a back up ruck and key defence option. Would be much better than Zac Smith.

Dec 3, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Lake is a must get imo. Got the central districts (sanfl) blood in him now, like Dew, like Holman. But the way Holman attacks the opposition, Lake attacks the ball. Very natural clearance player and has tested exceptionally well.

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

Baygirl1977

Debutant
Oct 13, 2020
Redland Bay
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Lake is a must get imo. Got the central districts (sanfl) blood in him now, like Dew, like Holman. But the way Holman attacks the opposition, Lake attacks the ball. Very natural clearance player and has tested exceptionally well.

The problem is that he is a bit of a turnover merchant and his 2km time was quite poor for a midfielder. We are already getting Davies (who is a much better version) so may be worth looking at other positions like a goal kicking key forward. He also hasn''t really embraced the academy (missing the game v lions and the combine in QLd) like other NT kids, I believe if we are taking another NT kid Rusca or Lui may be better options

Dec 3, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The problem is that he is a bit of a turnover merchant and his 2km time was quite poor for a midfielder. We are already getting Davies (who is a much better version) so may be worth looking at other positions like a goal kicking key forward. He also hasn''t really embraced the academy (missing the game v lions and the combine in QLd) like other NT kids, I believe if we are taking another NT kid Rusca or Lui may be better options
What was his 2km time? He seemed to cover the ground and was prominent around the contest.

His kicking isn't a strength, admittedly, he uses his pace, strength and agility to get clear to break lines, that's his game. He was also strong overhead which is important for midfielders who rest forward.

Not too upset about his lack of involvement in the academy, he is 17 years old, moved interstate so that he could put his best foot forward and play in the sanfl u18s, and reserves. That shows a pretty decent commitment to his footy from the kid. He looked better then Powell, and Edwards in the same match. He is a player.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Agree, the smart play is to take the free locals and try to develop them. At a minimum we then have local kids running around in the 2nds

trade the picks and get whatever we can for next year
And then trade multiple second Rd to Brisbane or Eagles next year . The local kids became the next heron and Dawson . This list managers are useless , if they are not good enough let them go to Southport or Adelaide league , can always use a draft pick on them later as mature age players. GWS , Brisbane and Sydney don't just draft academy players just because they are local .

Last edited:

The primary list must have no fewer than 36 players and no more than 38, with the Suns also capped at 38 primary list players.

However they will be able to have nine category A rookies on their list and also two category B rookies.
40 players.

+ 2 in trade period
+ 1 live pick.
+ 6 academies possible.

Last edited:

Baygirl1977

Debutant
Oct 13, 2020
Redland Bay
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What was his 2km time? He seemed to cover the ground and was prominent around the contest.

His kicking isn't a strength, admittedly, he uses his pace, strength and agility to get clear to break lines, that's his game. He was also strong overhead which is important for midfielders who rest forward.

Not too upset about his lack of involvement in the academy, he is 17 years old, moved interstate so that he could put his best foot forward and play in the sanfl u18s, and reserves. That shows a pretty decent commitment to his footy from the kid. He looked better then Powell, and Edwards in the same match. He is a player.

It must have been more than 6.38 which was the last released time, a good mid should be under 6.30. Just dont think he is good enough to prelist and believe he is an inferior player to Fyfe, Nicholls, Pescud, Gore and Johnstone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My view is SUNS should get the best available talent regardless where it comes from and only pre-list players who have a good chance to make it in AFL.

If all pre-listed players have to me moved in their 2nd year on senior list we are running into problem in 2021. Let's say this year we draft only pick 5 and fill the rest of our rookie list concessions with academy kids - Davies, Jeffrey, Lake, Fyfe, Pescud, Gore. That's 6 senior spots we would have to find in 2021 even before considering spots needed for national draft selections. A new batch of academy kids coming in would affect rookie list. It is also reasonable to expect that AFL will start reducing our list concessions. Let's say in 2021 we go from 50 to 47.

So you would have to clean up all rookies and demote/delist a lot of players on senior list. SUNS would end up with a lot of kids on senior list with a decent chance not being able to contribute and not make it.

I am probably completely wrong but I predict SUNS will only pre-list Davies, Jeffrey and possibly one more academy kid. Total 3 like last year. With pick 5 that would be 47 players total on the list. SUNS would still have spots to possibly add 1-2 players in rookie, pre-season, mid-season drafts.
Yeah I hadn’t considered rookie and senior spot list.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah, let’s just pick up a goal kicking tall forward in the 3rd round!
Simple!
In all seriousness - you have any suggestions as potential players along this line?

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I want Sam Taylor , Ricardi , Callum Wilkins , Marshall , Baker , Pickett , Jayden short , Nathan Broad type of pick up not heron , Crossley , sheer,nutting ,Joyce etc .Every year GC academy players just overhyped but end up delist after two to three year . I only rated three academy players after Bowes -Buddarick , Alex Davies and pescud. Pescud should play another year with the Nab squad or mid season draft .

Last edited:

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Hey guys, I've heard a bit that you guys are willing to trade out your first pick this year.

1. Is this true? If so why?

2. Would Sydney's future first be enough to make a deal? If not, what would?

Thanks for any answers

Hey guys, I've heard a bit that you guys are willing to trade out your first pick this year.

Thanks for any answers
I don't believe its the case of trading OUT, but more interested in trading upwards.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool

Thanks for any answers
I am happy to trade out , if pick 5 don't have the player GCS want , but all depend on who the recruiters want for pick 5 and what players available . Next year draft is stack with midfielders so i Doubt GCS will pass if DGB ,Thirthope and Holland still around . As for Phillip not much to said , he is Bodsy favourite ..

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Victorian Draft bolter.. sneaky chance to the Hawks.
Would change up the top super 5!

And gives Suns a extra option of choosing between 2 of the supposed super 5 instead of whoever was left.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
I reckon we are gonna surprise us with who we take

I don't think we will do much in terms of a surprise pick.

Cameron, unlike ******* Clayton, doesn't seem to overreach when he has a decent draft pick and just takes best available rather than passing on a Merrett or a Matt Crouch for Jack Leslie.

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't think we will do much in terms of a surprise pick.

Cameron, unlike ******* Clayton, doesn't seem to overreach when he has a decent draft pick and just takes best available rather than passing on a Merrett or a Matt Crouch for Jack Leslie.
1606185354555.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back