Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Crows AFLW side having to train at home by themselves this week with Adelaide's lockdown, while all other clubs can train as normal

However at the start of the year West Coast & Fremantle men's side were not allowed to train despite the state allowing it because the Vic clubs couldn't train

Gotta love consistency, eh?

What a fking joke

Adelaide Crows AFLW side having to train at home by themselves this week with Adelaide's lockdown, while all other clubs can train as normal

However at the start of the year West Coast & Fremantle men's side were not allowed to train despite the state allowing it because the Vic clubs couldn't train

Gotta love consistency, eh?

What a fking joke
It's consistent with things like state leagues and U18 comps going ahead in some parts of the country throughout the year but not others. Advantages were gained for various clubs via those discrepancies too. Everybody just needs to accept such anomalies will continue to arise, up to a certain extent.

If these restrictions on the Crows last into December, then it becomes a worthy debate.

Will the St Kilda women's team be competitive this year?

Without seeing the 2021 fixture you would think the aim would be to improve from 2 wins out of 6 to 4 or 5 wins out of 9 and not to cop any smashings from the top teams.

Six wins would most likely mean finals, five might be close.

freo and north are the 2 best sides

dont cry about it
freo and north are the 2 best sides

dont cry about it
if this was true then the grand final would have been a freo v norf decider,you only beat the pies in the final by 2 points,a game you should have lost and yet you declare no one will CHALLENGE you but freo,ridiculous statement,you will have 3-4 teams challenging you

if this was true then the grand final would have been a freo v norf decider,you only beat the pies in the final by 2 points,a game you should have lost and yet you declare no one will CHALLENGE you but freo,ridiculous statement,you will have 3-4 teams challenging you
That is exactly what I'm insinuating had the season played out

I've been following AFLW pretty closely since the beginning, and I've got NO idea what'll happen this season. North and Freo do look like the two best, but Carlton's right on their heels, and Adelaide will have Phillips, Randall and Scheer back and presumably fully healthy, which should put them back in contention.

Demons should slip a little with all their changes, but most of their best players are still there so they should still be tough, Brisbane were very strong last year and if they ever stop playing such defensive footy will get much better, Collingwood underperformed last year and could upset lots of people if they get it right this year, and hell, the Bulldogs are the most loaded team in the comp for pure talent, they're just so young -- last year they nearly got Freo in the highest scoring game of the season, this year they'll be a lot better.

Some of the expansion teams will be far tougher, I think you'll see radical improvements from Richmond and Gold Coast (GC were already pretty good for an expansion team) and the Saints were already the best expansion team and I reckon could be shock finalists this year, so there won't be any easybeats except maybe West Coast, but even they'll be better.

Plus you still get games in the AFLW where a top team will dominate but kick 1.10 and lose, plus Freo's undefeated record includes a number of games where they just scraped by -- a few goals or umpiring decisions go the other way and the whole season looks different, especially when it's so short and a single loss can kill your chances.

So I'm glad other people are so confident they know what's going to happen. Must be nice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I'm glad other people are so confident they know what's going to happen. Must be nice.
I just hope we have an uninterrupted season myself

I've been following AFLW pretty closely since the beginning, and I've got NO idea what'll happen this season. North and Freo do look like the two best, but Carlton's right on their heels, and Adelaide will have Phillips, Randall and Scheer back and presumably fully healthy, which should put them back in contention.

Demons should slip a little with all their changes, but most of their best players are still there so they should still be tough, Brisbane were very strong last year and if they ever stop playing such defensive footy will get much better, Collingwood underperformed last year and could upset lots of people if they get it right this year, and hell, the Bulldogs are the most loaded team in the comp for pure talent, they're just so young -- last year they nearly got Freo in the highest scoring game of the season, this year they'll be a lot better.

Some of the expansion teams will be far tougher, I think you'll see radical improvements from Richmond and Gold Coast (GC were already pretty good for an expansion team) and the Saints were already the best expansion team and I reckon could be shock finalists this year, so there won't be any easybeats except maybe West Coast, but even they'll be better.

Plus you still get games in the AFLW where a top team will dominate but kick 1.10 and lose, plus Freo's undefeated record includes a number of games where they just scraped by -- a few goals or umpiring decisions go the other way and the whole season looks different, especially when it's so short and a single loss can kill your chances.

Let's play a little prediction game then and have everyone allocate JUST ONE WORD to each team and how they'll go in 2021 (without seeing a fixture yet)

Adelaide - Inconsistent
Brisbane - Underated
Carlton - Threat
Collingwood - Thereabouts
Fremantle - Favourites
Geelong - Mediocre
Gold Coast - Suprises
GWS - Disapoints
Kangaroos - Slips
Melbourne - Implodes
Richmond - Spoon
St Kilda - Improvers
West Coast - Stagnant
Western Bulldogs - Underwhelming

Last edited:
Freo, North, Carlton, Adelaide - top 4

Richmond, Melbourne, WCE, Western Dogs - bottom 4

Here's the team that got Melbourne through to a prelim this year:

MelbourneAFLW - Copy.PNG

The only club to win more often than lose in all four seasons. Kinda suggests to me they'll absorb a few departures ok. Personally, I'd take the collective of Bannan, McNamara, M.Downie/Caris and Lampard over the group of those names in grey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back