Rumour RedandBluemour - MFC board trade rumours 2020

That's honestly ******* terrible news. Gary Pert's ruthless internal review really helped fix us. I don't see any more competent high-level managers at the club anymore. Bartlett, Pert, Goodwin, Richardson, Mahoney: dream team.

Welcome to the dark side, friend :)

Before I go off the deep end....can someone tell me if we didn't have Richo on our books would we have been able to offer Burgo a better salary?

Rage inside me is boiling at the thought...
I thought family ties in SA were a bigger pull than money necessarily. Bennell's bender also knocked $50k out of our soft cap which didn't help.

It's s**t news, but if our hopes of not being shithouse relied so much on Burgess staying we might as well wind the club up.

Welcome to the dark side, friend :)
Nah I think the team is pretty good, and I don't think Mahoney and Bartlett are that bad, but very annoying that we'll have to wait another year to clear out the coach again.

It's sh*t news, but if our hopes of not being shithouse relied so much on Burgess staying we might as well wind the club up.

It's not so much that, it's just that we let a person who is one of the best at their job in the world walk out the door. Typically Melbourne. Meanwhile are left with the overinflated contracts of Goody and Richo.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It's not so much that, it's just that we let a person who is one of the best at their job in the world walk out the door. Typically Melbourne. Meanwhile are left with the overinflated contracts of Goody and Richo.
What if he was asking for $1 million a season. There's no story or facts yet, or what if he wants to live with his family because of covid. Who knows.

We now have his program as IP at the club, any half decent sports science operator should be able to just implement the same regime.

What if he was asking for $1 million a season. There's no story or facts yet, or what if he wants to live with his family because of covid. Who knows.

We now have his program as IP at the club, any half decent sports science operator should be able to just implement the same regime.

Time will tell. I highly doubt some fitness advisor will take a job and do it the way we tell them to. They'd have to be a total noob or someone with little ideas of their own.

Not to mention Burgos contacts that he has around the world and ability to identify issue before they turn into bigger things.

Didn't we get him from Arsenal or some big EPL club? They'd have truckloads more cash to throw around than us and let him walk to some middling team in a barely known comp in the Antipodes.

I get that it's very us to lose someone so highly qualified so quickly, but sometimes s**t happens. Seems he's moved around a lot in his career so probably wouldn't have had him much longer than next season anyway.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
This isn't confirmed yet. All I can find is a 20-sec clip on Channel 7 Adelaide that says, and I quote,

"A familiar face to the Alberton faithful is set to land at West Lakes. 7 News can exclusively reveal fiutness guru Darren Burgess is back in the mix to join the Crows and join Matt Hass next season."

Here's the latest update I can find on their Performance dept: https://www.afc.com.au/news/826188/arsenal-staffer-to-join-crows-high-performance-team

Let's wait until it's 100% before we melt.

Didn't we get him from Arsenal or some big EPL club? They'd have truckloads more cash to throw around than us and let him walk to some middling team in a barely known comp in the Antipodes.
He said he preferred AFL as he was given more control of the players. At Arsenal Unai Emery's position as manager was shaky so he was released of most of his duties so Emery could have his own guys do more. It didn't pan out too well though as Emery got the ass and Burgess moved on anyway

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I mentioned on Twitter and had a couple people come back saying he’s going nowhere for next year. One person claimed to have recently spoken to someone who was involved at the club. They said he was staying.

Meds

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
You had me going until you mentioned Pickett. You got greedy mate. 😂
I thought if I didn't put that in that you might try taking a swim the wrong way off the Lorne pier. I couldn't deprive the other posters of the opportunity to let you know all about it once Kozzie comes good and justifies the hype. ;)

I thought if I didn't put that in that you might try taking a swim the wrong way off the Lorne pier. I couldn't deprive the other posters of the opportunity to let you know all about it once Kozzie comes good and justifies the hype. ;)

And if he doesn't?

Feb 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
I mentioned on Twitter and had a couple people come back saying he’s going nowhere for next year. One person claimed to have recently spoken to someone who was involved at the club. They said he was staying.
Yeah , I thought I read he will see out his contract and then leave at the end of next season.

You would hope so. Hopefully we can get another year out of him and there can be a handover.
I feel like a couple of years ago a Vic team had an assistant working from Adelaide part time due to family commitments? That might be doable, e.g. once the season is rolling the club could negotiate some sort of FIFO/time split between Melbourne and Adelaide? Might sway him towards staying on a bit longer?

We’ve held chats with GWS this week. Sounds like they went well but we’re probably more of a fall back plan for GWS. That’s all I’ve been told.

There are heaps of rumours that GWS are trying to package picks to Nth for 2, so maybe that’s their primary goal.

My guess (not confirmed) is that we offered 18 & 28 for 10 and a future 4th (tied either GWS or Cats).

If that’s the case, we’d take 10 & 19 to draft (possibly 50 but I think there might be one more signing in there or a spot left free for later).

Charlie_s123

Premium Platinum
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I chose to believe Burgess will honour his 2021 contract B4 going home .
200.gif

We’ve held chats with GWS this week. Sounds like they went well but we’re probably more of a fall back plan for GWS. That’s all I’ve been told.

There are heaps of rumours that GWS are trying to package picks to Nth for 2, so maybe that’s their primary goal.

My guess (not confirmed) is that we offered 18 & 28 for 10 and a future 4th (tied either GWS or Cats).

If that’s the case, we’d take 10 & 19 to draft (possibly 50 but I think there might be one more signing in there or a spot left free for later).
pick 10 & 19 would be a good draft hand to go in with imo

Michelangelo Rucci in Adelaide is adamant that he's not going to Adelaide next year and that he will be honouring the last year of his contract at Melbourne.

Good. So we get Richo and Goody out the door half way thru the year and have plenty of available coin to offer him a new contract.

Perfect. 🤗

Good. So we get Richo and Goody out the door half way thru the year and have plenty of available coin to offer him a new contract.

Perfect. 🤗
If we fall in the hole in 2021 lets send a blank cheque across to Ross Lyon

Back