Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

As I wrote earlier I was told we would try and package in a deal with Brown or Higgins.

His salary off a terrible year has meant that's going to be very difficult.

Wasn’t there talk that we’ve payed quiet a bit of his contract and is on around 4-500k for the remainder of his contract

If there is no interest this trade period, hold onto him, make sure he plays every game next year and pump his value right up.

We need more picks next year also, so no need to clear everyone at once.

Yes no absolute need to sell low considering a poor year etc..

But I'd argue we are doing that with Brown and Higgins but we won't go there obviously.

Which is why you make the deal possible by agreeing to pay most/if not all his salary to ensure other clubs are interested and offer us something decent

If there is no interest this trade period, hold onto him, make sure he plays every game next year and pump his value right up.

We need more picks next year also, so no need to clear everyone at once.
My understanding is still yes, he is unwanted.

If no interest (limited so far) he will stay.

don't :clapping: judge :clapping: jaidyn :clapping: stephenson :clapping: on :clapping: one :clapping: season:clapping:

jared polec tho....

A new coach with a new game plan and a revitalised playing list could play more into Polec's strengths. I look forward to seeing him change some perceptions.

A new coach with a new game plan and a revitalised playing list could play more into Polec's strengths. I look forward to seeing him change some perceptions.

Jared just has to concern himself with performing the role asked of him. If he does that he won't find himself dropped from the team.

Always seen polec as a support player; good player but depended on how the team is going and just bolsters the current attributes of the side.
Ergo looks good when we're winning but style doesn't really help in a losing side or when we're trying to come back from a big deficit.
Saw the same thing with him at Port and was a good pickup for North at the time because we were pushing for finals etc.
Not sure he offers much to the team outside of a general player doing his role and would probably rather have drafted a winger and played scott on the other side. Shame we couldn't have of offloaded him to somebody; might have been a better deal for both parties as polec wants to play finals.

Elephant in the room of 2020 was that our ball movement and offensive play (the latter a traditional strength for the last decade) was poor, like really poor, under Shaw.

For whatever reason Polec got hung out to dry. Elephant in the room II was no matter how much people want to attack Brad Scott revisionist style (and hell I wasn't his number 1 ticket holder) - he didn't seem to run into these relationship conundrums with players.

It's all a clear slate again now for Jared. Maybe being a bit older and having approached the awkward territory of shopping for club 4 (if it was ever raised) will make him change into more of a leader or guiding hand for the flock of young players forming on the list.

We implement a game plan that's a bit more free flowing and isn't:
1. not so stop-start and
2. long down the line at every opportunity

Then that's when we'll see the best of Jared.

He had a poor year but there were plenty who were worse.

A change of game plan and coach will probably be a world of good. Whoever it is I hope they can get the best out of Polec, because when he is on, he is a game breaker.

One concern I have is that with Higgins gone he may see a bit more attention in the form of taggers ect. He hasn't dealt with them particularly well in the past so hopefully he can add to that side of his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. not so stop-start and

I think we will. Brown out and intentionally moving to a much faster, mobile and flexible forward line will naturally encourage and support that approach changing significantly without such a huge risk of being hurt on the rebound.

Great interview with Noble on Fox Sports - Was asked about Polec.

"I don't want to focus on deficiencies - ofcoarse we will, but my key focus is to focus on my players strengths"

"Jared is a great runner, great user of the footy inside 50"

"There are things he has to work on, but those strengths are something I really want to get the most out of"

I'm paraphrasing, but can just tell Polec is gonna flourish under this guy. He's an attacking weapon if used correctly.

1. not so stop-start and

Then that's when we'll see the best of Jared.

He had a poor year but there were plenty who were worse.

A change of game plan and coach will probably be a world of good. Whoever it is I hope they can get the best out of Polec, because when he is on, he is a game breaker.

One concern I have is that with Higgins gone he may see a bit more attention in the form of taggers ect. He hasn't dealt with them particularly well in the past so hopefully he can add to that side of his game.
re stop start game plan, it wasn't just our wish to play that way. We seemed to be extremely vulnerable when it was played in a fast and open manner. Clubs were clearly instructed to play on quickly against us and it often worked. Hence why we increasingly reverted to this stop start rubbish.

I agree that this style wasn't really suiting Polec, but fixing it may prove quite complex, as we don't really want huge scores kicked against us, as much as we are building for the future.

re stop start game plan, it wasn't just our wish to play that way. We seemed to be extremely vulnerable when it was played in a fast and open manner. Clubs were clearly instructed to play on quickly against us and it often worked. Hence why we increasingly reverted to this stop start rubbish.

I agree that this style wasn't really suiting Polec, but fixing it may prove quite complex, as we don't really want huge scores kicked against us, as much as we are building for the future.

The gameplan simply devolved as the season went on, until towards the end when we clearly re-adjusted and focussed a bit more on offensive waves running through the middle.

If memory serves the way we were playing worked pretty well at the start of the year, but then when Larkey got injured we were seemingly expecting it to only be short term and so plugged other blokes into his role (Campbell, Xerri, Josh Walker) but it was pure s**t. Then throw in Cunners issues and the Hub and everything else about the gameplan went to s**t. Brown never got started and then got injured. Larkey came back proppy and then got worse on top of that. Jy's ankle went bad and he played with a bung leg for a half dozen games. Eventually we just put kids in key posts but played ultra defensive seemingly said "* it" to actually winning games.

What a s**t ******* year it was, never want to see a replay of any of those games.

Oh well. Fingers crossed and we're over most of our injury woes and the kids got a lot of benefit out of being given a lot more responsibility in their future roles.

As to Polec... I don't even know any more. I really like the things he does well, but I get filthy at some of the easy things he does badly. I really wanted, and want, to see better from him on a few fronts but at the same time I understand now that isn't overly likely and we're probably better off just getting his pure offensive game fully online and covering for him defensively instead of trying to round out his rough edges.

I’m sensing the Jared Polec train is pulling out of the sidetracks...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some of us never got off that train ...

🤪... a couple of BF mates and I have been stuck in the sidings,smoking Woodbines for a few months, wondering if we’d ever get rolling again.

Was a good pickup, still IS a good pickup. He's just been used incorrectly, I've yet to see anyone use him as well as Ken Hinkley did.

Sure he's a cat and a defensive liability, but Noble specified Polec as an example of weaknesses to work on but the strengths are the focus, and he's a quality outside running wingman with a deadly kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back