Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Southampton FC
Or hoard their excess cash for next year's trade period when they will be on the way up and looking for mature top liners to supplement all the stockpiled youth.

If we did splash out for a player using the cap space that would open up, could see use going for any of the following:

Opp supporters, yes, it is pie in the sky stuff. If we had cash to burn could happen.

2021 OOC:
Cripps
Gawn
Oliver
Bontempelli

2022 OOC:
Taranto
Petracca
Nic Nat
Macrae

In saying that, have big re-signings to finish for our guys OOC in 2022.

Ah12

Club Legend
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I hope North bid on Campbell. Either Swannies supporters would be losing their minds if they had to match but i wouldnt be suprised if they passed and North fans end up melting instead 😂

FreeAgent1

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I hope North bid on Campbell. Either Swannies supporters would be losing their minds if they had to match but i wouldnt be suprised if they passed and North fans end up melting instead 😂
If crows take anyone other than McDonald and they bid on Campbell I can see us not matching and then getting him to request a trade back in 2 years. Not ideal list management.....but it is north so who knows

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
We would match without blinking & we will prepare for such a scenario.
Don't underestimate our recruiting staff as rules are often changed after we find a way to get who we want into our club.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Don't underestimate our recruiting staff as rules are often changed after we find a way to get who we want into our club.
I wonder if beatson was directing his comments about dunmy academy bids at the crows. If the crows did bid on campbell or north for that matter it would really stuff sydney around assuming tgey still wanted to match tge bid. They are absolutely expecting in my opinion either dgb or phillips with pick 3 and then get campbell for peanuts along with gulden. To miss one of campbell or dgb/phillips would hurt and maybe it was a veiled crack by beatson

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I wonder if beatson was directing his comments about dunmy academy bids at the crows. If the crows did bid on campbell or north for that matter it would really stuff sydney around assuming tgey still wanted to match tge bid. They are absolutely expecting in my opinion either dgb or phillips with pick 3 and then get campbell for peanuts along with gulden. To miss one of campbell or dgb/phillips would hurt and maybe it was a veiled crack by beatson
Do it , you got so many prediction wrong from 2018 to now , surely this time you are right .

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I absolutely want us to bid on JUH at pick 1, he is the best player in the draft and the VFL's NGA rort means despite being wooden spooners we can't get the best player. We owe the VFL and the Dogs nothing, in fact we owe the Dogs a clip for last years trade.

Clubs just don't put in vexatious bids on players, no club wants to sour relationships for future dealings. We have a track record of bidding in a fair manner about where the consensus has the player in the draft order. Campbell is not the number 2 player in this draft and we won't be bidding on him, we'll be taking McDonald or Thilthorpe.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I absolutely want us to bid on JUH at pick 1, he is the best player in the draft and the VFL's NGA rort means despite being wooden spooners we can't get the best player. We owe the VFL and the Dogs nothing, in fact we owe the Dogs a clip for last years trade.

Clubs just don't put in vexatious bids on players, no club wants to sour relationships for future dealings. We have a track record of bidding in a fair manner about where the consensus has the player in the draft order. Campbell is not the number 2 player in this draft and we won't be bidding on him, we'll be taking McDonald or Thilthorpe.

1567692012832-png.741015

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
If crows take anyone other than McDonald and they bid on Campbell I can see us not matching and then getting him to request a trade back in 2 years. Not ideal list management.....but it is north so who knows
As much as some Crows fans would like this to happen (Crow till I die needs to stop embarrassing us here..) I think there is absolutely ZERO chance Crows would, or should, bid on Campbell.

We don't have a history of bidding on NGA/FS players outside of our talent order, and Campbell does fall outside of this in regards to our picks.

That being said, eDPS does have him rated pretty highly, and North may look to be strategic AND sensible here in putting a bid on Campbell at Pick 3 (after JUH bid at 1). This makes even more sense if North force Swans to match the bid at Pick 3, and then North trade their Pick 4 to Essendon for a few picks of their 1st rounders. This theoretically means that there's a better player at each of those picks if the Swans don't have an opportunity to select a player AND meet a bid down the order for Campbell.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would you match without blinking? Wouldn’t you just pass and take player rated higher on your list?

Oct 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
One would think so. Unless we rate Campbell as the 3rd best player in the draft I can't see us matching.

This, maybe we do rate him that highly, but if not we don't match and take McDonald (assuming Ade take Thilthorpe).
Or we then trade down the draft order, with either Essendon, or another club with multiple first / future firsts in return for pick 3.

Personally I don't see it happening, JUH will be bid pick 1, Ade take either McDonald or Thilthorpe, NM Take Mcdonald or Holland.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
As much as some Crows fans would like this to happen (Crow till I die needs to stop embarrassing us here..) I think there is absolutely ZERO chance Crows would, or should, bid on Campbell.

We don't have a history of bidding on NGA/FS players outside of our talent order, and Campbell does fall outside of this in regards to our picks.

That being said, eDPS does have him rated pretty highly, and North may look to be strategic AND sensible here in putting a bid on Campbell at Pick 3 (after JUH bid at 1). This makes even more sense if North force Swans to match the bid at Pick 3, and then North trade their Pick 4 to Essendon for a few picks of their 1st rounders. This theoretically means that there's a better player at each of those picks if the Swans don't have an opportunity to select a player AND meet a bid down the order for Campbell.
take a hike..how the hell is that me embarrassing anyone to suggest that a bid might come for a guy that is extremely highly rated and he IS extremely highly rated by those who watch these kids like ol Mutineer. Beatson was quite pointed in his displeasure at what he sees as dummy academy bids. If you are really a crows supporter, you will know that if the club rates a player that is academy linked, they will bid - unless there may be some sort of incentive not to

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
take a hike..how the hell is that me embarrassing anyone to suggest that a bid might come for a guy that is extremely highly rated and he IS extremely highly rated by those who watch these kids like ol Mutineer. Beatson was quite pointed in his displeasure at what he sees as dummy academy bids. If you are really a crows supporter, you will know that if the club rates a player that is academy linked, they will bid - unless there may be some sort of incentive not to
It sorts itself out. Perhaps you are right & the Crows bid on him & we don't match. Young Campbell becomes a Crow for a few years.
Then the go home factor kicks in before he is at his prime.
Every action has a reaction, be it immediately or at a later date. If the Crows rate him as a pick 1 then I guess you take him & that would leave us in an equally good position to take the next best rated player in the draft. We could then swap next year's first rounder with Gold Coast's first rounder this year (pick 5) leaving us with 2 top 5 picks to use now & in two years take Campbell back with a far worse pick for you than the pick 1 you will use on him now.
We will match anything over our first pick 3.

Now having said all this, we don't have such bad a relationship with the interstate clubs as the bad feelings you, a Bigfooty poster, may have for us.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
It sorts itself out. Perhaps you are right & the Crows bid on him & we don't match. Young Campbell becomes a Crow for a few years.
Then the go home factor kicks in before he is at his prime.
Every action has a reaction, be it immediately or at a later date. If the Crows rate him as a pick 1 then I guess you take him & that would leave us in an equally good position to take the next best rated player in the draft. We could then swap next year's first rounder with Gold Coast's first rounder this year (pick 5) leaving us with 2 top 5 picks to use now & in two years take Campbell back with a far worse pick for you than the pick 1 you will use on him now.
We will match anything over our first pick 3.

Now having said all this, we don't have such bad a relationship with the interstate clubs as the bad feelings you, a Bigfooty poster, may have for us.
Its got nothing to do with it..it is purely as simple as if the club rates the player they will bid. I am not saying they are bidding but something has got up Beatsons nose for him to come out and make comments like he did. Sydney would have to then work out IF a bid came in as to whether they want to match it or not..no doubt they will have their own strategy

as for taking him back in 2 years time..how often does that work out - we have been on the arse end of it

Oct 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Its got nothing to do with it..it is purely as simple as if the club rates the player they will bid. I am not saying they are bidding but something has got up Beatsons nose for him to come out and make comments like he did.

You might be on the money, but you are looking at the wrong player imo.
The concern is Gulden goes much earlier than expected and leaves us with a significant deficit to what will likely be a high pack next year in the first round.

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
Same s**t everytime a Swans Academy pick comes thru. They get talked up and up like getting them would be an absolute gift for us.
Campbell on form in a normal season would normally be a mid-late 1st rndr and Gulden maybe 30's. Good kids to pick but we are talking a different league entirely to the top 5.
The only reason a guy like Campbell is being talked up is coz the marketplace hasnt seen much of the vics in the top 30 this year. Recruiters go off what they see.

No chance ANY club rates Campbell high enough to risk their top 5 pick to bid on him. Unlikely even a top 10 pick. All clubs will have their preferred players and by the time the draft comes along they will have their order book with all manner of options covering taken and now unavailable. Unlikely they will even concern themselves with Campbell. IFFFF they see him pick 8-10ish++ then yes, they might start to become interested. Similar to Green at GWS last yr who was rated much higher than Campbell is this yr.

If you think your club would pass over a McDonald Phillips DGB Hollands Thilthorpe type for Campbell then its best you send them some better drugs pronto.

Beatson's little wish list was more of a shot across the bow, hoping to dissuade any possible shenanigans from clubs with top 10 picks. He claims he would inform another club if he had an actual intention to bid on one of theirs. He cannot expect others to play nice and sweet simply coz he might. Doesnt mean he cant shine an early spotlight on it though which he has now done. He got the press for it he wanted.

Back