Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:
I can’t believe the trade paperwork doesn’t stipulate payment terms??? Either way you’d think pies are in no position to put the dogs under the thumb. Dogs could surely threaten to send him back and it’s the pies problem??
That would be unbelievably messy and i dont think aFL would let it get to that. It would be a terrible look.

All of it just seems so dumb, why even bother going after Treloar if they planned on keeping Dunkley? Why do they deal at the last minute if you haven't even finalised who pays what?
I think the bargain price for Treloar was too tempting to pass up. And that makes sense if you can make it work feasibly.
But when you are still trying to argue over contract payments two weeks after trade week and seek an extension, it probably makes it clear it isnt straight forward feasible and a bit of an impulse buy.

My guess is that their initial public stance at the beginning of trade week was true - They had no interest in trading for Treloar, and even less interest in dealing Dunkley. But as the price for Treloar got cheaper and cheaper, they caved on the former stance, but not really the latter and hoped they could fit everyone in.
From a list management perspective if you can trade your 5th most used midfielder for pick 7 and a future 2nd, and get a AA mid essentially for the price of a second rounder, you do both in heartbeat.

My feeling for why they kept Dunkley is culture. There have been rumours re their poor behaviour in the hub and a well known ITK on Blitz (Fozdog) says they needed to keep Dunkley for his leadership and cultural effect on the club.
If that is the case then i dont understand why you would bother going through the trouble of trading for Treloar considering Dunkley is ALREADY disgruntled for midfield time, and considering Treloars apparent issues with taking feedback according to some Magpies officials on public record

All that being said - i am just some random Essendon supporter on the interwebz, so what do i know
*shrugs*

Wait, so the Doggies have been parading him around when they haven't officially lodged the paperwork? Wow.
I suspect that this is why the other trades after the Treloar one haven't been put up on AFL House's twitter, although Pat Keane sent me a ss of an apparently 'official release' about the Cameron, Caldwell and Hind deals.

If that hypothesis is accurate then it's possible Cameron, Caldwell and Hind are also being paraded around in new colours that haven't been formally ratified.../

Although I don't see why any of those would be a problem, other than if some of the picks involved get on-traded before they're officially had by their clubs.. 🤔

Is Cedric cox worthwhile pursuing? Or is he WA bound as a DFA?

"For all the different reasons and the weight of the reasons as to why he [Dunkley] might consider the move to another club, my discussion with him was that it doesn't matter, all that matters to me and our club is that he's with us." - Bevo

So Dunks, they know you're unhappy, but, whatevs. All that matters is that you're with them. Let that marinate for a while.

"For all the different reasons and the weight of the reasons as to why he [Dunkley] might consider the move to another club, my discussion with him was that it doesn't matter, all that matters to me and our club is that he's with us." - Bevo

So Dunks, they know you're unhappy, but, whatevs. All that matters is that you're with them. Let that marinate for a while.
I hope he negs the crap out of the Bulldogs all season. Just makes the place unbearably toxic that they let him go for next to nothing.

He probably won't though, unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like this s**t going down with the Treloar trade is how we end up nabbing Dunkley

*takes a huge rip from a comically oversized bong*

Hear me out...

The rumours of the 24 hour second trade window might've started when someone in the media got wind of the difficulties with negotiating the final details of the Treloar deal. Both the Dogs and the Pies are close to the salary cap and don't have much room to wrangle Treloar's contract without something giving. The AFL have said there won't be a second trade window but we know they're nothing if not inconsistent.

What if the something that gives is Dunkley? The Dogs must know keeping a player on the list after they have requested a trade is asking for trouble. He doesn't really make sense from a list management perspective as he's now basically their last midfielder picked. Maybe there's some merit to the speculation that he's being held onto for his leadership.

Collingwood might decide that it's worth paying a bit extra to have Treloar off their books completely, and give their 2021 first round pick to the Dogs in exchange for the Dogs taking on 100% of the contract. This would put the Dogs over the cap unless they move on a player, so they trade Dunkley for a token draft pick, having already been compensated by essentially being paid to take Treloar.

Also I wonder if the AFL announced the rookie listing changes in the hope that being able to rookie list any two players on the list without risking another club drafting them might allow both clubs to free up enough cap space to be in a position to reach agreement.

I feel like this sh*t going down with the Treloar trade is how we end up nabbing Dunkley

Hear me out...

The rumours of the 24 hour second trade window might've started when someone in the media got wind of the difficulties with negotiating the final details of the Treloar deal. Both the Dogs and the Pies are close to the salary cap and don't have much room to wrangle Treloar's contract without something giving. The AFL have said there won't be a second trade window but we know they're nothing if not inconsistent.

What if the something that gives is Dunkley? The Dogs must know keeping a player on the list after they have requested a trade is asking for trouble. He doesn't really make sense from a list management perspective as he's now basically their last midfielder picked. Maybe there's some merit to the speculation that he's being held onto for his leadership.

Collingwood might decide that it's worth paying a bit extra to have Treloar off their books completely, and give their 2021 first round pick to the Dogs in exchange for the Dogs taking on 100% of the contract. This would put the Dogs over the cap unless they move on a player, so they trade Dunkley for a token draft pick, having already been compensated by essentially being paid to take Treloar.

Also I wonder if the AFL announced the rookie listing changes in the hope that being able to rookie list any two players on the list without risking another club drafting them might allow both clubs to free up enough cap space to be in a position to reach agreement.
It’s not the size of the bong, it’s the size of the cone and how much of the fun stuff is packed into it. You my friend have the largest cone equipped full of commercial quantity fun stuff!

I feel like this sh*t going down with the Treloar trade is how we end up nabbing Dunkley

Hear me out...

This should have been a longer speech which included a detour into how cool it would be to have Marvel actually do a faithful, scene for scene, animated recreation of the 1993 GF. But otherwise, I’m on board.

It’s not the size of the bong, it’s the size of the cone and how much of the fun stuff is packed into it. You my friend have the largest cone equipped full of commercial quantity fun stuff!
9utqvZb.png

It may have already been mentioned but I read an article, forgot where, suggesting Essendon look at Cam McCarthy.

I thought at GWS he was going to become a star. I take it he has some unfortunate issues between his ears but I’d be ok picking him up as a DFA.

It may have already been mentioned but I read an article, forgot where, suggesting Essendon look at Cam McCarthy.

I thought at GWS he was going to become a star. I take it he has some unfortunate issues between his ears but I’d be ok picking him up as a DFA.
hell to the no

Dodo's fault

Hear me out...

*, Imagine the Dogs go over the salary cap because of bringing in Treloar. Being able to put a few Dogs supporters back in there place would be glorious. The smugness they have is somewhat bewildering.

I floated this idea about a week ago. I don't see why you wouldn't take a chance on a 1. 5 goal again forward. Frees stringer up more if they want to play him mid more often. As a 2nd or 3rd tall. Without the pressure of the 2 1sts stigma that saw him sit out a year I think he could be a handy acquisition. Rookie list him. Pay him base rookie rate with performance incentives and then if he's a bust really nothing lost.

fu**, Imagine the Dogs go over the salary cap because of bringing in Treloar. Being able to put a few Dogs supporters back in there place would be glorious. The smugness they have is somewhat bewildering.
I feel like that at a minimum they must be close enough to the cap as a result of bringing in Treloar that it messes up their future list management as much as it did for Collingwood's. Worst case what Collingwood is offering puts them over the cap in some years.

Why else would they be arguing over a few $100k a year in player payments a week after trade period officially ended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back