Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foxtel showing VIC v WA from 1986. I still say SOG was the best level of footy the game has seen.

I have fond memories of racing home from school for the WA games which usually started around 3:30 - 4 pm our time (for unknown reasons).

Had forgotten how good Maurice Rioli was - talk about a Rolls-Royce.
You look at some of the names to miss out on that 1986 Vic side. No doubt they were at different points of their careers and guys that made it deserved selection, but some big names nonetheless.

The likes of Daicos, Hawkins, Wallace, Lockett, Flower, S. Madden, Johnston, and Langford were all in the squad.

And Ablett didn't play that year either. I'm not sure why.

You look at some of the names to miss out on that 1986 Vic side. No doubt they were at different points of their careers and guys that made it deserved selection, but some big names nonetheless.

The likes of Daicos, Hawkins, Wallace, Lockett, Flower, S. Madden, Johnston, and Langford were all in the squad.

And Ablett didn't play that year either. I'm not sure why.
Some of that had to be down to the madness of Sheeds. I’m sure playing Justin ahead of Simon was some sort of motivational ploy and Sheeds will tell us it reinvigorated his career.....or something.

No Plugger either.

Foxtel showing VIC v WA from 1986. I still say SOG was the best level of footy the game has seen.

I have fond memories of racing home from school for the WA games which usually started around 3:30 - 4 pm our time (for unknown reasons).

I'd love to see it return in it's proper glory, none of this All Stars crap where it means nothing for the SA/WA etc teams to play for a jumper that has no soul or meaning. True state vs state was great.

Some of that had to be down to the madness of Sheeds. I’m sure playing Justin ahead of Simon was some sort of motivational ploy and Sheeds will tell us it reinvigorated his career.....or something.

No Plugger either.
Despite being the previous year's premiership coach I think its common knowledge that Sheedy had maybe a bit too much sway over selection that year.

I remember even as a kid watching the Big V run out onto Football Park and thinking that there is probably a couple of Bomber players too many running around out there. Outstanding game though.

How about Ablett in '84, kicking 8 from a flank?

I remember hearing (i think) Gerard Healy saying that he was in the goal square on his own, and Ablett was about 50 out & how he was annoyed that Ablett didn't pass it to him - until the ball went over his head for a goal...

Apparently some of the Big V guys (who hadn't seen him play yet) were saying during the game "How good is this bloke?"

I remember hearing (i think) Gerard Healy saying that he was in the goal square on his own, and Ablett was about 50 out & how he was annoyed that Ablett didn't pass it to him - until the ball went over his head for a goal...

Apparently some of the Big V guys (who hadn't seen him play yet) were saying during the game "How good is this bloke?"
Looked a class above the elite...and had only played a handful of VFL games at the time.

I remember that game well. He was definitely a guy that had other footballers shaking their heads.

Speaking of Gerard Healy.....watching this game I realised he was much better than I recalled. He would go very nicely in any modern day midfield - hard runner, could win it inside or get it on the outside and very good by foot.

Despite being the previous year's premiership coach I think its common knowledge that Sheedy had maybe a bit too much sway over selection that year.

I remember even as a kid watching the Big V run out onto Football Park and thinking that there is probably a couple of Bomber players too many running around out there. Outstanding game though.
Yep - you always suspected your Shane Heards and Stephen Clarke’s probably were a tad lucky.

I remember that game well. He was definitely a guy that had other footballers shaking their heads.

Speaking of Gerard Healy.....watching this game I realised he was much better than I recalled. He would go very nicely in any modern day midfield - hard runner, could win it inside or get it on the outside and very good by foot.
That Swannies midfield was a good one back then. Round, Healy, Williams, and Mitchell. Murphy on the wing was a really good player too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if these big poncho AFL players are still content with how the pay deal has gone down. Quite a few decent or talented players who aren't on AFL lists right now because of the list cuts.

Only had to take pay cuts from the top end and this could have all of been avoided, wouldn't it?

I wonder if these big poncho AFL players are still content with how the pay deal has gone down. Quite a few decent or talented players who aren't on AFL lists right now because of the list cuts.

Only had to take pay cuts from the top end and this could have all of been avoided, wouldn't it?
I gotta ask mate....what exactly is a “big poncho AFL player” ?

8.5% off players with longer contracts and 3.5% off players with only year to run works out as those who can most afford it typically being the ones essentially loaning 5% of their wage to their club for 2021. Bit rough for the coaches to take a way bigger haircut than the players though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back