• WIPE THEM OUT, ALL OF THEM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Has that been announced?
That's Sam Skinner in the pic but.

Why would we be paying him?

According to people here, by gifting him the fair well game, we negotiated him out of paying the last year of his contract?

Surely you aren’t suggesting this is wrong, and we’re actually paying (another) guy no to play for us?

Whether we are or aren't paying him for the final year, we can still move some of his 2020 contract into 2021 this way and pay it outside the cap

Pretty sure when a player retires any further payments are inside the cap

I think the condition on Sydney was stopping them negotiating Buddy's contract to be lower in the event he retired, so the full initial contract needs to be paid within the cap

Right, makes sense. TY

Whether we are or aren't paying him for the final year, we can still move some of his 2020 contract into 2021 this way and pay it outside the cap

Why would we want to be moving his 2020 contract money into next year?

Wouldn't it be more advantageous to have our salary commitments next year minimized to allow for front loading of new signings?

Why would we want to be moving his 2020 contract money into next year?

Wouldn't it be more advantageous to have our salary commitments next year minimized to allow for front loading of new signings?

Because it's inside the cap versus outside the cap

Pretty sure when a player retires any further payments are inside the cap

I think the condition on Sydney was stopping them negotiating Buddy's contract to be lower in the event he retired, so the full initial contract needs to be paid within the cap
Buddy is different because he was a RFA though... and you cannot change their contracts.. or youd have teams getting offering them multimillion dolllar contracts so their current team doesnt match and gets a good compo pick.. only to renegotiate them a few months later to be a much lower contract for the recieving club..

Hopefully Mackay shows enough through the year to get upgraded in 2022.

I've not kept on top of the changes to the rookie list over the last few years, can these guys play from day 1 or do they now need to be upgraded?

Hopefully Mackay shows enough through the year to get upgraded in 2022.

I've not kept on top of the changes to the rookie list over the last few years, can these guys play from day 1 or do they now need to be upgraded?
Can play from Day 1. Kind of pointless having a rookie list to be honest.

I think this actually gives us a genuine incentive not to play Mackay

That's because the more he plays, the more he costs us inside the salary cap. The less he plays, the more of his salary can be paid outside the cap

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this actually gives us a genuine incentive not to play Mackay

That's because the more he plays, the more he costs us inside the salary cap. The less he plays, the more of his salary can be paid outside the cap

In that case, we should also swap Keays with someone who isn't going to play much (ie. Frampton).

Smart move with Gibbs. Makes sense for Davis, as he would normally be delisted if not contracted. Did not think Mackay was going to be moved to rookie list, but good move.

Think you might find there is 17 other “geniuses” doing the same thing.😂
What with "retired" and long term injured players...freeing up a list spot for a train on player or a player in the 2 2021 mid season drafts? What clubs would that be?

Points for our NGA's. Probably means we can trade pick 40 without being caught short.
It's like 30 extra points, not gonna make much difference for matching. It's basically us trading a 4th rounder for Hinge. Brisbane wanted to keep him, he wanted to come here, so they delisted him for us so we can sign him as a free agent and so we wouldn't be forced to take the risk (or use a pick) in the draft to get him since we've already earmarked the PSD for Hately.

Apparently even though Gibbs "retired" because he had/has a contract for 2021 it's required that he still be on our list in some fashion, hence the "administrative purposes" bit. Basically it's to stop a guy retiring, then unretiring and signing for free elsewhere like Mal Michael did when he was contracted with the Lions, retired, then a month later signed with the Bombers.

Can someone explain this to me? I don't understand.

When a player retires their list slot is already opened up, so that can't be the motivation.

What do we gain from putting Bryce on the rookie list next year?

The only thing I can think of is that Bryce technically isn't retired/delisted this year because we can't afford to have his salary payout this year without breaching the cap (which given we won the spoon is.. concerning). So instead he's actually staying on our list until next year so that we can pay him then?

we have to because he’s being paid in full and if he doesn’t remain on the list we’d need to add his $600k to the 2020 maxed cap.

What with "retired" and long term injured players...freeing up a list spot for a train on player or a player in the 2 2021 mid season drafts? What clubs would that be?
Every team is transferring senior players in their last year or 2 onto the rookie list to free up spots for the draft and to save $80k of their salary against the primary cap. We havent thought up something special.
‘Carlton put Eddie on the rookie list today, similar story to Mackay really.

Back