List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Delistings

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
And thats KK done.

Real shame for the guy, I saw a lot of him early at the Suns and he looked a gun in the making.

Thank * for that, without doubt the single dumbest signing of the last 40 years, do we still have to carry his ridiculous contract in the cap this year?

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I thought that was Preuss ...
He’s top 10, look no further than the fact he’ll be playing somewhere else next year, but signing a bloke with chronic head injuries to a 3 year contract at above league ave for all accounts is a whole other level of stupid

KK would perfect for us if he was fully fit. :(

I had high hopes when we got him with May, but looking at the big picture it was a horrible mistake.

This is why you need a bloke like Burgo in your corner I feel. He'd have to contacts and be able to advise the club on decisions like this.

KK was thrown in as steak knives. If we were able to get him on the park and back to his good form it would of been a big win, it didn’t work out, it’s no big loss though.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
KK would perfect for us if he was fully fit. :(

I had high hopes when we got him with May, but looking at the big picture it was a horrible mistake.

This is why you need a bloke like Burgo in your corner I feel. He'd have to contacts and be able to advise the club on decisions like this.
1 year at league minimum, happy roll the dice, 3 years at 400k was ******* criminal

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I'd like to see the stat of players who were delisted who move onto other clubs. I would think there's been <10 play even 100 games at a new club in the last decade.

Jarryd Lyons and Mitch Robinson two that come to mind. Almost all the time clubs get vindicated when they give someone the flick.

I'd like to see the stat of players who were delisted who move onto other clubs. I would think there's been <10 play even 100 games at a new club in the last decade.

Jarryd Lyons and Mitch Robinson two that come to mind. Almost all the time clubs get vindicated when they give someone the flick.
Menegola

I also think you’re seeing more players become journeymen. Hickey, Hogan, Lyons, Polec, McKernan all on club 3+ and that’s off the top of my head.

booshboy

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Josh Kennedy.

you're right though, it is an anomaly

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Menegola

I also think you’re seeing more players become journeymen. Hickey, Hogan, Lyons, Polec, McKernan all on club 3+ and that’s off the top of my head.
Talking about delisted players though. Menegola a good one. Can't think of much else still.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Just had a bo peep and there were more successes in the 90s/00s
Bell, podsiadly, Milne, Harley, Rodan, C.Bolton etc.

I think clubs have gotten alot better and won't dump someone without trying everything to get the best out of em.

Just had a bo peep and there were more successes in the 90s/00s
Bell, podsiadly, Milne, Harley, Rodan, C.Bolton etc.

I think clubs have gotten alot better and won't dump someone without trying everything to get the best out of em.
I think you’re also seeing a lot more trade-for-nothing-picks things. If a player is set to be delisted then clubs will try to get something for them even if it’s shrapnel. Lewis, Scully trades good examples.

HB17

Debutant
Aug 17, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Brett Bewley delisted by Freo, who plan to pick him up again in the rookie draft.

I know its extremely unlikely but I'd be happy to swoop in and get him with our pick ~50. Has got a beautiful left foot on him and elite endurance, would slot in nicely on the opposite wing to Langdon, or at the very least create some healthy competition for that spot.

HB17

Debutant
Aug 17, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Eggmolese-Smith delisted by the tigers surprises me, thought he was really impressive when given a chance this year, lovely kick. would be a good pickup for someone

Nice user of the ball, but his defensive side of the game from the small snippets I've seen needs some serious work. IIRC his game against Port Adelaide was an absolute shocker with defensive errors and fumbles, and might have gone some way into to stamping his papers.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think you’re also seeing a lot more trade-for-nothing-picks things. If a player is set to be delisted then clubs will try to get something for them even if it’s shrapnel. Lewis, Scully trades good examples.
Blokes who haven't been able to give 50+ games of good service to a new club. Like I said I'd like to see the statistics.
Lewis was a 4x premiership player who we picked up for experience but ultimately barely got a good year of footy out of

Scully has been absolute trash at Hawthorn.

In fact if you can even get 50 games out of a delisted player ATM it seems to be a miracle.

The average AFL player would be lucky to get 50 games from when they're drafted so not getting 50 from a DFA isn't entirely remarkable. This link (albeit just a Reddit user's stats) says the median (in 2017) career games is 19. Half of the blokes to have played 1 AFL game didn't get to 20.

If they give a couple of seasons worth of solid service (25-30 odd games say) that'd still be handy until a better option comes along.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Our very own Josh Mahoney played for Collingwood and the Dogs from 1997-2000, then spent three years in the wilderness before joining Port in 2004. Played 67 games including the flag.

In a more recent example, Tim Membrey has had a very solid career after 1 game at Sydney.

But on the whole, I'd actually say that picking up players from state leagues has seen much more success that delisted free agents.

De Boer and Sam Reid have been solid enough for GWS. Play their roles although not stars.

Sam Collins was delisted by Freo and now a gun for GC.

With cut list sizes I’m not sure we should be drafting 4 18 year olds, 3 I think is enough. With picks 18, 19, 28 and 50 we should trade one out for a future pick to improve our draft hand next year. Currently 2021 we have picks 34, 48 and 57 based on 2020 ladder positions

West Coast this years first pick is 62, but 2021 have 12, 31, 35, and 40

We should look to trade pick 50 this year for their pick 40 next year, they still have 3 picks before that pick. We take picks 18, 19 and 28 to the draft

Or we trade pick 28 this year for their pick 31 next year, we take 18, 19 and 50 to the draft this year.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The average AFL player would be lucky to get 50 games from when they're drafted so not getting 50 from a DFA isn't entirely remarkable. This link (albeit just a Reddit user's stats) says the median (in 2017) career games is 19. Half of the blokes to have played 1 AFL game didn't get to 20.

If they give a couple of seasons worth of solid service (25-30 odd games say) that'd still be handy until a better option comes along.

Ok but that's from new players, now you're talking about blokes who've already been considered in the best 80-100 every year.
Menegola and Collins are 2 excellent players, both have that they went back and played 2nd tier for a few years before being picked again.

My whole point was (me included) of the 50-100 players delisted every year you'll get lucky if one or 2 play another 50 games at a club.
Statically id bet you're more likely to find games out of a random player in the rookie draft.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
* completely forgot we drafted Max King 6 years ago lol.

Back