Footy Banners

Remove this Banner Ad

lmeyrick

Draftee
Nov 24, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
I am currently working on a book that is looking at Footy Banners over the years. There are some amazing photos and stories since when they were first introduced in the VFL in the late 1930s to what they are today.
There are a couple of banners of interest that I would love some help in getting to the bottom of the story behind them. The Hawthorn Grand Final banners of 1988 and 1989 are of particular interest: both featured a big black woman that in today's society, wouldn't be seen as politically correct.
It would be great if there are anyone with knowledge of that period that could share what the thinking was behind those banners to ensure the facts are included.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 1.43.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 1.43.54 PM.png
    897.2 KB · Views: 90

I am currently working on a book that is looking at Footy Banners over the years. There are some amazing photos and stories since when they were first introduced in the VFL in the late 1930s to what they are today.
There are a couple of banners of interest that I would love some help in getting to the bottom of the story behind them. The Hawthorn Grand Final banners of 1988 and 1989 are of particular interest: both featured a big black woman that in today's society, wouldn't be seen as politically correct.
It would be great if there are anyone with knowledge of that period that could share what the thinking was behind those banners to ensure the facts are included.
Thanks in advance.

I imagine from your research you are aware of a magazine style publication ‘ A run through guide to the runthroughs’ (or similar) from around 30 years ago? It was mostly just photos of banners and really a kids book, but there may be some photos which would prompt further research.

I imagine from your research you are aware of a magazine style publication ‘ A run through guide to the runthroughs’ (or similar) from around 30 years ago? It was mostly just photos of banners and really a kids book, but there may be some photos which would prompt further research.
Hi Randall, yes I am aware of that book and have found it very helpful. There has been some great stuff from the last 30 years to build on.

If you want a recent story, I'm responsible for the great Tendai Mzungu's emergency 100 game banner controversy. I could share the secret details (it's actually a pretty crazy story) and have some photos around too.

If you want a recent story, I'm responsible for the great Tendai Mzungu's emergency 100 game banner controversy. I could share the secret details (it's actually a pretty crazy story) and have some photos around too.
Thank you Allikat. My colleague who I'm writing the book with has been looking into this story. It would be great to connect with you.

You mean this secret story?

PS. Great work on getting it done!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back