Who is your club's Maradona - past or present

Remove this Banner Ad

bunderson

Senior List
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Maradona - genius on field, train wreck off field.

Many issues involving drugs, weight, coaching failures, scandals.....

Who is your club's Maradona (past or present) for all or any of the above reasons?

My club is easy - Cuz.

For port I would have to say Nick Stevens.

Will never be remembered for his footy due to his post career actions in my mind
With respect, Nick Stevens was nowhere near the AFL footballer that Maradona was the footballer.

Fair comparison of field though.

For port I would have to say Nick Stevens.

Will never be remembered for his footy due to his post career actions in my mind
As an aside it feels crazy that he is only 2.5 years older than former teammate Shaun Burgyone, but Steven's has been out of the game for over a decade.

No one?

Maradona reached a stratospheric tier of sporting fame and ability reserved for the likes of Jordan, Federer, Ali, Phelps, Bradman and Bolt.

Athletes of such singular historic significance and ability in international sport, that they become permanently embedded in popular culture. As much as I love the AFL, it doesn't have that reach and footy players don't get the chance to represent the country in global competition. Maradona dragged Argentina post Faulklands, to a historic win against the English on the way to a world cup. He kicked the goal of the century and raised an average La Liga team to the pinnacle of European football excellence. We've had our Buddies and our Abletts, but Maradona is from a different galaxy.

Last edited:
Athletes mean nothing. Hundreds of years from now no one will know their names even if they are on some ancient obscure data base.
The people will be baffled as to why these generations held sporting achievement in such high regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not my club but Gary Ablett Snr so similar to Maradona it isn't funny.

Amazing player but also a rather awful human being with a lot of scandals.
Same thing popped into my head straight away

But Maradonna wasn't an awful human being, more just one with a big coke addiction

Remove this Banner Ad

Back