Discussion State League Guernseys

Remove this Banner Ad

There was some talk about the old West Torrens Eagles Guernsey earlier in this thread. Generally there seems to have been 4 main Guernsey designs worn by West Torrens. It looks like in some years the colours were inverted, but that might just be the black and white photos playing tricks?

The origins of West Torrens were the Port Natives, who were a break away from Port Adelaide and played in a junior association in the 1893/94 seasons. They formed a club to join the SAFA in 1895 called The Natives. The Natives adopted the royal blue with gold band from shoulder to hip for their first season and continued in the blue and gold with the name change to West Torrens in 1897 and ended in the sash Guernsey in 1990, when West Torrens played their final game before merging with Woodville.

It's hard to tell early years exactly what was worn, but it seems to go something like this:

Royal Blue with Gold Bands from shoulder to hip (premiership 1924 & 1933) - 1895-1907ish & 1923-1936 & 1974-1976

Plain Royal Blue - 1908ish-1911ish & with small gold Eagle between 1971-1973

Royal Blue with Gold Sash (premiership 1945 & 1953) - 1912-1922 & 1937-1954 & 1977-1990

Royal Blue with Gold Eagle - 1955-1970

IMG_2863.JPG

There was some talk about the old West Torrens Eagles Guernsey earlier in this thread. Generally there seems to have been 4 main Guernsey designs worn by West Torrens. It looks like in some years the colours were inverted, but that might just be the black and white photos playing tricks?

The origins of West Torrens were the Port Natives, who were a break away from Port Adelaide and played in a junior association in the 1893/94 seasons. They formed a club to join the SAFA in 1895 called The Natives. The Natives adopted the royal blue with gold band from shoulder to hip for their first season and continued in the blue and gold with the name change to West Torrens in 1897 and ended in the sash Guernsey in 1990, when West Torrens played their final game before merging with Woodville.

It's hard to tell early years exactly what was worn, but it seems to go something like this:

Royal Blue with Gold Bands from shoulder to hip (premiership 1924 & 1933) - 1895-1907ish & 1923-1936 & 1974-1976

Royal Blue with Gold Sash (premiership 1945 & 1953) - 1912-1922 & 1937-1954 & 1977-1990

View attachment 889429
I reckon they might have been black with yellow "braces" to start with - WWT wore it in an SANFL heritage jumpers photo out the front of the Adelaide Town Hall in about 1995. I'll check my records and post some pictures in the next day or so.

"The origins of the team which went on to carry the name of West Torrens into the SAFA and SANFL date back to 1894, however, when a group of Port Adelaide players, unable to get a regular game, elected to form a breakaway side known as Port Natives. This team, which wore red and white playing uniforms, was affiliated with the Adelaide and Suburban Association in 1894 and the following year was admitted to the SAFA, when it changed its colours to black and gold. After a season under the Port Natives monicker during which it finished last, followed by a season simply as Natives, when it came second from last, the club members unanimously agreed a name change to West Torrens in 1897 to coincide with the inception of district football. By this time, the club had also adopted the blue and gold colours that would become its trademark". (https://australianfootball.com/clubs/info/West+Torrens/326)

Last edited:
I reckon they might have been black with yellow "braces" to start with - WWT wore it in an SANFL heritage jumpers photo out the front of the Adelaide Town Hall in about 1995. I'll check my records and post some pictures in the next day or so.

"The origins of the team which went on to carry the name of West Torrens into the SAFA and SANFL date back to 1894, however, when a group of Port Adelaide players, unable to get a regular game, elected to form a breakaway side known as Port Natives. This team, which wore red and white playing uniforms, was affiliated with the Adelaide and Suburban Association in 1894 and the following year was admitted to the SAFA, when it changed its colours to black and gold. After a season under the Port Natives monicker during which it finished last, followed by a season simply as Natives, when it came second from last, the club members unanimously agreed a name change to West Torrens in 1897 to coincide with the inception of district football. By this time, the club had also adopted the blue and gold colours that would become its trademark". (https://australianfootball.com/clubs/info/West+Torrens/326)

I believe some of this information is wrong, even though it is the official information the club presents.

I found some Trove articles on the beginnings of the club.

Port Natives Football Club accepted in to Adelaide & Suburban Association for 1893 season.

Port Natives decision to apply to join South Australian Football Association.

The new Natives Football Club accepted in to SAFA for 1895 season wearing dark blue & gold band from shoulder to hip. I believe this is the year that should signify the beginning of the club. West Torrens 1895-1990.

The other Port Natives of 1895 (not West Torrens but a renamed Albertons club). I believe this is where some confusion has set in with regards to the very early beginnings of the club.

The change in name from Natives to West Torrens - same club.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Few changes for the 2021 SANFL season.
Bryce Gibbs will be running around in a Blue & White Puma jumper next season.

Westies have a deal with New Balance/JS sport identical to the GC and Saints set up.

Guessing AFC and Port will be with O’Neills and Macron.

Sturt and North might stay with Sandy Nelson TeamWear.

Haven’t heard anything re Norwood (ISC in 2020) or Eagles (xblades in 2020)

View attachment 889429

They are for the statisticians provided by the AFL for the second tier comps, they don’t know who all the state league players are so having the number on the front helps as the back of a guernsey isn’t always visible. They were mandated in the NEAFL in 2014, which is when Champion Data started doing all the stats for games - I assume it was earlier for the other leagues.

So many of these number panels on the front of jumpers are completely pointless.

They are for the statisticians provided by the AFL for the second tier comps, they don’t know who all the state league players are so having the number on the front helps as the back of a guernsey isn’t always visible. They were mandated in the NEAFL in 2014, which is when Champion Data started doing all the stats for games - I assume it was earlier for the other leagues.
TAC Cup had front numbers for a long time, my dad used to take photos of the Western Jets for a newspaper and it was great for him cause he wouldn’t have to wait until the player turned around to get a photo of their back for their number. The VFL lagged behind a little on this but they picked it up a couple years ago, certainly later than 2014.

I was referring to the boxes around the number that cut into the design.

We were with ISC last year, hopefully we're back with Nelson, they are quality guernseys.

Yup. Twigged after I posted. Bays are the other team still with Sandy.

Also forgot about Centrals. I’m guessing they’d stick with Jax.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back