TV Rights

could have said the same about Optus Sport being only “sokkah”, but if it has a market...

Not really, soccer had a market, people were actually angry that Optus got the rights, barely anyone gives a s**t about what Stan has got.

could have said the same about Optus Sport being only “sokkah”, but if it has a market...

Premier League football is a little bit more popular than Union, and the tennis is on FTA as well.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Premier League football is a little bit more popular than Union, and the tennis is on FTA as well.
Union is a sleeping giant akin to the European soccer. There's a lot of sport that is able to draw a crowd which is why optus sport has been successful (along with good rights). The stan sport deal with the tennis and union, and potentially cricket, will add a string to stans bow as a competitor to Netflix. Also this will be the first fta deal with the union.

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm
Not really, soccer had a market, people were actually angry that Optus got the rights, barely anyone gives a sh*t about what Stan has got.

I’m not a fan, but at least they are making it so I’m not forced to pay for it if I don’t want it. My regular Stan account price remains the same.

I’m not a fan, but at least they are making it so I’m not forced to pay for it if I don’t want it. My regular Stan account price remains the same.

As it should even with this content. It should be about growing their subscriber base not gouging their existing customers for more money for second-rate codes and extra courts at the Opens.

Union is a sleeping giant akin to the European soccer. There's a lot of sport that is able to draw a crowd which is why optus sport has been successful (along with good rights). The stan sport deal with the tennis and union, and potentially cricket, will add a string to stans bow as a competitor to Netflix. Also this will be the first fta deal with the union.

No it's not and I'm a long time supporter of Union, it almost folded this year.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
No it's not and I'm a long time supporter of Union, it almost folded this year.
It is 100% a sleeping giant. I'm not saying its going to be as big as the afl or anything but there definitely a base that is able to grow the support. Just because it "almost went bankrupt" doesn't mean it's not a sleeping giant, it just means it has been managed poorly.

It is 100% a sleeping giant. I'm not saying its going to be as big as the afl or anything but there definitely a base that is able to grow the support. Just because it "almost went bankrupt" doesn't mean it's not a sleeping giant, it just means it has been managed poorly.

Sorry but it's not a sleeping giant. People were saying when the A-League came that soccer was the sleeping giant and the sport would rival AFL and NRL, it hasn't and that's another league that is starved for support in Australia, most soccer fans are into the bigger leagues.

The game has been around for over 100 years and it's in the shadow of the NRL by a fair margin. Unions greatest lure is the internationals.

from what I’ve been told, it launched for the Tzyu fight, but I only learned of it today

Hmm maybe. Weird it wouldn't have been available at launch, it's sport and on foxtel.

It's not a sleeping giant at all and I live in the heartland of Union. People rock up to the pub to watch the Wallabies play but otherwise don't give a s**t about it.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Really hope Optus positions itself as the home of soccer. Get Bein onboard, secure A League rights in partnership with a FTA channel. Nothing beat Matchday Sat coverage on Foxtel with 2-3 A League games leading into PL fixtures. Football needs to be all in one place - like it used to be on Foxtel.

Id cancel Kayo myself personally if that occurred, would only have ESPN left which is FA Cup mostly.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Quality is actually quite good, its been poorly managed but there is definitely interest in the game and the league.

Yep, A League has plenty of interest. Its here to stay forever. Eurosnobs generally trot out the lack of quality / interest line because their expectations are Premier League level.

It would be a huge boost for Optus to win the A League TV rights.

Lack of quality, lack of crowds, lack of interest.

Should I keep going?
Yes please if you can get to something that actually makes the point you're trying to make.

Fox sports has come back to the table to negotiate new rights, the league isn't going to go bankrupt.

The level of players coming in this season is actually quite high due to covid and people wanting to come to aus.

Players are going directly from the A-League to the championship not sure you can say the quality isn't there, but you don't watch it anyway..

Yep, A League has plenty of interest. Its here to stay forever. Eurosnobs generally trot out the lack of quality / interest line because their expectations are Premier League level.

And they trot it out while not actually watching a minute of it which is the most tiresome part.

The separation from the FFA will be good for the game and after another round of expansion should hopefully be in a good spot.

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm

they’d need to take over production too.

Back