Certified Legendary Thread Roos lodge plans for massive Arden St upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

"our plans for the entire frigging suburb?"
The whole suburb - that's impressive. Not bad for a club that can barely keep its football department together. This is a Club which is still only paying down its debts by means of the Box On Campaign which rakes in $280,000 per-year. Since when did North Melbourne Football Club have a City Planning or Civil Engineering Department? Keep the perspective that they are just musing their ideas to try to garner an appeal to the Council. It's not unlike the Western Bulldogs lavish plans to develop Whitten Oval into an 18,000 seat boutique stadium. It's aspirational at best, but not a serious plan that will survive one or two more Melbourne City Council terms much less two State Governments. At best, the Arden Street oval zone will coat tail onto the Arden Station development and will ultimately end up being blocked in by apartments, convenience stores and eateries. Any available land (and there's not much of it available around there) for recreational purposes in the precinct would likely be allocated as public spaces (mainly for children), and certainly not for the North Melbourne FC's exclusive use.

As I said, I know and appreciate your thoughts on the matter and I have mine, just accept that we're not going to agree and leave it there.

Last edited:
And this right here is where we absolutely must cash in. We have the geographical advantage that clubs like STK (not on a train line?), WBD (train line, but 10min from city) don't. We will have this extraordinary population boom in and around our home ground area, three minutes from a significant urban population centre via train. How many of those students, young immigrant families etc, will be NM supporters in 25 years because of our presence there?

As far as I can see our ideas are to make the NMFC synonymous with living in the NM area. One and the same. When kids move into a fashionable inner city suburb with their parents, or when young people move there to start a family, they should grow up going for walks or kicking the footy or doing whatever on Arden Street Oval. Or going to the gym at Arden Recreational Reserve Gym. Swimming at NM pool. All linked to NMFC. We have the opportunity to establish ourselves as titans in the area

You said in your same post that commercial RE developers are sitting on gold mines in the NM area. Why can't we take advantage of this gold mine? Why can't we be as large a beneficiary as anyone else from these developments?

In my view we have been known for so long as the battlers and arguably have prided ourselves on it. I know I feel an enormous sense of pride that I can still go to the footy and watch North play. But I just don't think it has to be that way (ie, that we battle for our patch) anymore. We are financially strong, well run, putting together the core of what I think is our 5th premiership team. We have a new coach who comes so strongly recommended and viewed by the rest of the industry. We have barely any debt and we're sitting smack bang in the centre of what will be a massive and significant development of the area in and around our home ground. We should be loving this, this could set us up until the sun crashes into the earth and we enter a hostile nuclear winter

Somers St (St K) is a 2 min walk from Moorabbin train station on the Frankston line. Which is a good 25-30mins on the train from the CBD stations.

The whole suburb - that's impressive. This is a Club which is still only paying down its debts by means of the Box On Campaign which rakes in $280,000 per-year. Since when did North Melbourne Football Club have a City Planning or Civil Engineering Department? Keep the perspective that they are just musing their ideas to try to garner an appeal to the Council. It's not unlike the Western Bulldogs lavish plans to develop Whitten Oval into an 18,000 seat boutique stadium. It's aspirational at best, but not a serious plan that will survive one or two more Melbourne City Council terms much less two State Governments. At best, the Arden Street oval zone will coat tail onto the Arden Station development and will ultimately end up being blocked in by apartments, convenience stores and eateries. Any available land (and there's not much of it available around there) for recreational purposes in the precinct would likely be allocated as public spaces (mainly for children), and certainly not for the North Melbourne FC's exclusive use.

As I said, I know and appreciate your thoughts on the matter and I have mine, just accept that we're not going to agree and leave it there.

Yeah probably best we do leave it here as what you've written above is just plain inaccurate.

Do any of you ever wonder why there is next to no former player participation at the club?

Do you think they could even identify with the place as it is now?

Do you think their presence might dilute the agendas of the non footballing types who wish to control the direction of the club?

Our history is nothing more than a marketing tool down at that place now. A marketing tool utilised to facilitate non football agendas.

Do any of you ever wonder why there is next to no former player participation at the club?

Do you think their presence might dilute the agendas of the non footballing types who wish to control the direction of the club?

Our history is nothing more than a marketing tool down at that place now. A marketing tool utilised to facilitate non football agendas.
I do wish the club had a lot more going on.

I do wish the club had a lot more going on.

You mean you don't think looking and admiring a politically correct pile of bricks, or kiddies learning english, is the be all and end all of your footballing experience? Are you some kind of troglodyte? You are such an ingrate!

They don't want anyone down there (y'know, the ones who actually built the club these clowns took over) who messes with their non football program.

You can just about guarantee that Noble will be a card carrying acolyte. He wouldn't have got the gig otherwise.

No involvement at all.

Ben Buckley
Glenn Archer
Brady Rawlings
Boomer
Patch

No involvement at all.

Ben Buckley
Glenn Archer
Brady Rawlings
Boomer
Patch

Yep, plus the active media and social media presence of David King, Corey McKernan and Troy Makepeace etc

Yep, plus the active media and social media presence of David King, Corey McKernan and Troy Makepeace etc
the jumper presentations...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No involvement at all.

Ben Buckley
Glenn Archer
Brady Rawlings
Boomer
Patch
Arceri Sr

Missed one.

Also heaps of past North players still work in football at other clubs, and many don't exactly live local.

Seems like a specious argument to me.

For the reasonable ones out there, what things that other clubs do would you like North to do?

From first hand experience the whitten oval cafeteria is a bit meh, and only pretty much caters to the players and some retirees that go in for coffee and maybe a fish and chips on some cheap plastic seats amongst some donated memorabilia..
But they have the benefit of also being a ground on a large plot of land which we do not, along with an attached vic uni campus, so they have a lot more of a practical use for the cafe than we currently do.

The Arden St reserve hasn't existed to facilitate the future of just the NMFC though has it?

And for well over 100 years.

We were a co-tenant of the ground, the rooms and the stands with the Hotham Cricket Club/North Melbourne Cricket Club for over 100 years.

The North Melbourne Baths were built on the site of the current pool 111 years ago.

You seem to think the reserve has always existed purely for the use of the NMFC. We have been sharing it for our entire history.

So why do you take issue with just another co-tenant helping the local community? As has been the arrangement since the 1880's.

You just can’t use logic with some people.
If you don’t evolve in this day n age - you die.

Also I don’t know why you’re quoting non members

Is this any different to other clubs?
Some players might just think of it as a job and move on with their lives after they retire.

Was meaning some former players didn't feel welcome or wanted previously but that has changed.

Do you think it was related to the club's insidious green agenda of becoming a cultural pillar of the developing suburb?
Or was it more of a clash of personalities in some hectic times for all involved

They all came back when we eased up on separating kitchen waste.

Do you think it was related to the club's insidious green agenda of becoming a cultural pillar of the developing suburb?
Or was it more of a clash of personalities in some hectic times for all involved

I think it was related to the fact Scott was a stubborn bastard that didn't want any of the older (and influential) heads butting in where he felt they didn't belong.

There was definitely a dissociation between former players and the club in the recent past.

I don't believe that's currently the case.

Was an issue under Brad no?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back