Prediction Delisted free agency – Which players find new clubs?

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Toby Wooller 193/89
James Parsons 190/83
Mitch Riordan 187/80
Fraser Turner 186/81
Matthew Parker 190/80
Ryley Stoddart 185/82

That's the short list, but it's ever expanding, better than late picks North Melbourne.
You also forgot Ed Philips.
Club committed to taking 1-2 picks to mid season draft and only has like 5 spots left for the draft so not sure how many if any will get picked up.
I could see philips coming to north for the pace and run injection but I'm really not sure how many others get a gig.

To name some:

Matthew Scharenberg - good player when fit, would fit into a lot of AFL backlines
Noah Gown - not sure if there's something I'm missing here but has good numbers at VFL level and might develop into a good key forward
Jacob Kennerley - was highly credentialed and was close to making an AFL debut before this season
Jackson Ross - good goalkicker at VFL level, might have upside
Heath Shaw - might be done but with the soft cap cuts I think he could be a good playing coach for next season (and it'll help take his career to coaching)
Oscar McDonald - he's been awful in recent times but used to be decent and could provide OK defensive coverage
Fraser Turner - victim of depth I think, seems well credentialed and has the potential to be an AFL player
Ed Phillips - has a skillset that could appeal to certain clubs and is still young
Logan Austin - probably missing something here but I thought he looked good when he played
Ben Ronke - has had top-class games and can provide decent pressure, still young-ish
Lewis Jetta - might be retiring but if not he's still AFL standard IMO and should at least provide short-term impact for a club
Jackson Trengove - still decent depth, especially given he can fill multiple positions that are tough to fill

I also think a lot of the ex-Lions guys are borderline AFL standard or at lest are decent depth, reckon Skinner's a good fit for a club that needs talls and I feel like Allison and Cox have a bit of untapped talent.

Some of the North delistees could add decent depth (Daw), seemed like untapped talents (Ahern) or might be a decent roleplayer in the right circumstance (Williams) too.

I don't expect all of them to get picked up but I can see a few of them doing so.
Appears I was wrong about Ronke, he'll likely be kept on.

On this season's form Fox would definitely help a lot of clubs. I think he's a quality defender.

Savage is someone who I think is still AFL standard too.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Seems like there are some half reasonable names amoung the delistings this year. Opporunities for a lot of clubs to improve their depth significantly.

I would've thought guys like Robbie Fox would've found a new home during the trade period had Sydney known list sizes prior.

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I have no idea why we got rid of Fox after this year. Left alone in defence and flourished. I hope he gets picked up.
Influx of more young talent? Salary cap problems with Buddy on $1.5mill in 2021? Having an early clean out of players who won't be in your push up the ladder?

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Gallucci
Savage
Fox
E. Phillips
Durdin
Kennerley
O'Riordan
Scharenberg
O. McDonald

All of the above, a chance to get picked up IMO. Fox, Savage and E. Phillips should be near certainties

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Gallucci
Savage
Fox
E. Phillips
Durdin
Kennerley
O'Riordan
Scharenberg
O. McDonald

All of the above, a chance to get picked up IMO. Fox, Savage and E. Phillips should be near certainties
Surely someone takes Mason wood?

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Influx of more young talent? Salary cap problems with Buddy on $1.5mill in 2021? Having an early clean out of players who won't be in your push up the ladder?
Yeah potentially, I'd have thought a solid, calm defender who sets up a lot of plays would be useful in a developing team but I guess the club thought with Rampe back in the team and McCartin moving back there wouldn't be a spot for him.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Surely someone takes Mason wood?

Mmm I'm not too sure tbh. Very injury prone and hasn't got the resume behind him for someone to take the risk. Undeniably has the talent, but has played very few games for someone who's 27 and who'll be 28 next year (average of 8 games per year across his career - given most players start at around 19)

Wouldn't be surprised if he was picked up, but also wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't sorta thing

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
Delisting Fox is a shortsighted error.
Performed at a v solid level for a mob that won few games. May have even had some trade value.
Perfect depth and at the perfect age right now....and could pressure any list for a best 22 slot next season.
To win a flag you always need to bolster those guys who may seem 23-28th on the list...but become vital throughout the season.

Stupid season this one. My mob is starting to mirror that with stupid decisions.

Big fan of Egg. Surely with Saad and McKenna gone Ess bring him in. Would combine welll off half back with Ham.

Should make a play for Fergus Greene to go with them.

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Should make a play for Fergus Greene to go with them.
Would they, could they, Robbie Fox?
Would they, should they, Cedric Cox?

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Surprised Jones got delisted. Was very convincing in the reserves. A chance to get picked up.

Very stiff. Was regularly our best player at Box Hill - a couple of niggles stopped him getting a call up a few times. Played 1 Senior game, was OK, got dropped and now delisted. Only 21. These reduced list sizes definitely resulting in a few clubs moving on players they normally wouldn't.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Word going around Jacob Townsend to Gold Coast.

Back