nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
Tall defender: Andrews. Grimes can also play tall (as well as short) and hence I'll have him top.

Medium defender: Vlaustin v Haynes. Haynes got the AA spot over Vlaustin this year and was well deserved. Having said that, I wouldn't choose another defender over Vlaustin. He gets my vote.

I'm also a big fan of Stewart's and Moore's (although his haircut is a joke).

p.s. yes I am biased.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Tall defender: Andrews. Grimes can also play tall (as well as short) and hence I'll have him top.

Medium defender: Vlaustin v Haynes. Haynes got the AA spot over Vlaustin this year and was well deserved. Having said that, I wouldn't choose another defender over Vlaustin. He gets my vote.

I'm also a big fan of Stewart's and Moore's (although his haircut is a joke).

p.s. yes I am biased.

If your backline had Andrews, Grimes, Vlaustin, and Haynes....good luck to the opposition forwards.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
If your backline had Andrews, Grimes, Vlaustin, and Haynes....good luck to the opposition forwards.

Imagine if the opposition forwards were Carey, Dunstall, Gary Ablett Snr, Gary Ablett Junior, Stephen Milne and Eddie Betts.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Not quite there yet, and at the risk of being accused of bias, I believe Tom Doedee is on his way to being in the top defenders in the comp.

Not quite there yet, and at the risk of being accused of bias, I believe Tom Doedee is on his way to being in the top defenders in the comp.
Whilst i admit i dont watch a lot of Crows games his intercept work looks top shelf to me. As for shutting down an opponent im yet to really see it but yeah hes def one for the future. Just hope he can get those hammys sorted now

BoundbyKreuze

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
This might come off as biased but;

Intercept: Vlastuin
3rd up: Grimes
1v1: Balta
This may come off a bit biased but Weitering and jones are 3000% better 1 on 1 than balta.

1DDE6857-225F-4E2B-AAC2-510E00B3339F.jpeg
Interesting neither get included in popularity contests like this but they e been playing for one of the worst clubs this decade but they actually DEFEND THE MAN.

Not surprisingly you cherry pick one line of the post to make a smarmy comment rather than address the factual data.

Nice join date btw :thumbsu:
Clearly each team is going to be happy with their respective players but yeah lets address the factual data.

Noah Balta is 2 years younger than Jacob Weitering and 8 years younger than Liam Jones.

So in 2 years time we can more fairly compare Balta with where Weitering is currently at.

None the less both are absolute beauties and both clubs would be thrilled to have them

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Clearly each team is going to be happy with their respective players but yeah lets address the factual data.

Noah Balta is 2 years younger than Jacob Weitering and 8 years younger than Liam Jones.

So in 2 years time we can more fairly compare Balta with where Weitering is currently at.

None the less both are absolute beauties and both clubs would be thrilled to have them

Is this thread qualified by aged? No. The thread title says "Best Defender" and poster BoundbyKreuze was responding to said "1v1: Balta". He isnt and he isnt close.

Hes had some of the fewest 1v1s and his success rate is middling to the rest of the pack. I rate Balta but he isnt in this conversation.

Not surprisingly you cherry pick one line of the post to make a smarmy comment rather than address the factual data.

Nice join date btw :thumbsu:
My "1v1: Balta" reply was clearly as tongue in cheek as my join date, username, avatar, etc.

Pretty sad that I have to explain that but I'd expect nothing less from your mob.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Given the year he had in 2020, Steven May seems a bit underrated, he was very dominant, constantly outmarked his opponents. But he Melbourne.

Back