Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
There is some criticism of Dodoro, but the defence of his trading this year and last is strident, and it's not one or two isolated examples.

Again, refer previous comments about Dodoro not valuing his own deal as enough.
There is pleeenty of criticism for Dodoro regarding Daniher. Many believed we should have traded Daniher last year instead of holding onto him. Plenty of criticism for the Shiel trade. Most Essendon fans also believed he unnecessarily made the Fantasia trade complicated.

I don’t have any problems with his conduct regarding the Dunkley trade though except for the length it took to come up with his offer. The final offer of pick 8 and a future second is more than enough. The 3-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley was also enough. Bulldogs just weren’t interested which is fair enough.

You’re misinterpreting Dodoro’s statement. Saying he wouldn’t do the deal if he was Bulldogs doesn’t mean he believes that’s what Dunkley is worth. It means he understands why Bulldogs didn’t trade Dunkley and would do the same for a player like him. A classic case of a player being worth more to a club than the open market considering Dunkley only has 3 quarters of one season last year to even justify a first rounder. There’s a reason why we targeted Dunkley over an Oliver type because he should realistically be cheaper than Oliver. Someone that’s pushed out of the midfield loses value.

Don’t think Dodoro or anyone expected the price to be 2 top 10 picks, which is what a contracted Oliver costs. We offered as high as we could and moved on from it. No issues there. All of Essendon, Bulldogs and Dunkley parted in an amicable way.

Mar 5, 2015
West of Woop Woop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Marconi, Arsenal, GreenEdge
Are you high?

I Literally said that the dogs were entitled to ask a stupid price for him.

Why quote me if you aren’t even going to read what I type?

No wonder this discussion goes around and around.
You keep saying its a stupid price we asked. No it wasnt, certainly it was over what hed be worth in a normal situation, but it was the required price to get him in this siyuation. You keep ignoring the fact hes got 2 years to run on his contract and we were clear going in we wanted to keep him.

Dodo continued to push for the trade knowing hed be paying overs. And in fairness what we asked wasnt unreasonably over. After all Dodo asked for 2 first rounders for Daniher who was on contract (for 1 more year). Dodo himself set that as the standard required to pry loose a required player.

Stop calling it a stupid price. It was the required price. Dodo set up a market situation he wouldnt meet.

The conversation continues because you continue to overlook 2 key things
1. Dodo pursued a contracted player and then refused to pay the required price for him
2. Dodo himself set market expectations by demanding the exact same thing from the swans for Daniher

Yes the price was high, nobody, particularly Dodo should have been surprised by that, after all he set that bar himself. Sam Power didnt buckle, I suspect Dodo relied on that happening.

You keep saying its a stupid price we asked. No it wasnt, certainly it was over what hed be worth in a normal situation, but it was the required price to get him in this siyuation. You keep ignoring the fact hes got 2 years to run on his contract and we were clear going in we wanted to keep him.

Dodo continued to push for the trade knowing hed be paying overs. And in fairness what we asked wasnt unreasonably over. After all Dodo asked for 2 first rounders for Daniher who was on contract (for 1 more year). Dodo himself set that as the standard required to pry loose a required player.

Stop calling it a stupid price. It was the required price. Dodo set up a market situation he wouldnt meet.

The conversation continues because you continue to overlook 2 key things
1. Dodo pursued a contracted player and then refused to pay the required price for him
2. Dodo himself set market expectations by demanding the exact same thing from the swans for Daniher

Yes the price was high, nobody, particularly Dodo should have been surprised by that, after all he set that bar himself. Sam Power didnt buckle, I suspect Dodo relied on that happening.

lol get real mate.

Name me a single other player in the history of the AFL that hasn't won an AA but has for 2 x Top 10 picks straight up. If there even is one there wouldnt be very many.

It was and still is a stupid price. There dogs were entitled to ask for it given he had 2 years left but you are convincing body.

If you think because he didn't publicly mention it, that there were no lies your sorely mistaken. And to see anybody say a list manager would never lie is just plain wrong and stupid.
I bet you think politicians don't lie too huh? 😂

I really don't get why you think dodo would lie about about what the dogs were asking for dunkley?

What does dodo have to gain from it?

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
I really don't get why you think dodo would lie about about what the dogs were asking for dunkley?

What does dodo have to gain from it?
It was more the statment saying why would he lie that tickled my funny bone, and who really knows on here what's true and false but answering your question, one could say to save face for supporters about not getting the deal done, indicating it wasnt his fault why they didn't get the player the made a requested to go his club with a big money contract and brother on the list deal

It was more the statment saying why would he lie that tickled my funny bone, and who really knows on here what's true and false but answering your question, one could say to save face for supporters about not getting the deal done, indicating it wasnt his fault why they didn't get the player the made a requested to go his club with a big money contract and brother on the list deal

yeah that's a very pessimistic view........

Assuming someone is lying just because.........

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
if you ask us nicely, we'll help out on this messy Treloar thing
2x F3s for Dunks ok? :p

Must admit, im surprised it's still going
Dunkley is a dogs player. Put this on ice for a year.

We’ve moved on. We hope dunks has a ripper year and stays. You’ve moved on and get to draft 3 top 10s. Lol what’s there to even talk about?

Oh come on, is it Pessimistic to assume Lawyers, real estate agents, and used car people don't have a reputation that they tell porkies? 🤔🙄

How is any of that related to dodoro/dunkley? Which is who we are talking about?

I don't give a crap if you think Lawyers, real estate agents, and used car people lie? they probably do? They have nothing to do with the discussion?

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
lol get real mate.

Name me a single other player in the history of the AFL that hasn't won an AA but has for 2 x Top 10 picks straight up. If there even is one there wouldnt be very many.

It was and still is a stupid price. There dogs were entitled to ask for it given he had 2 years left but you are convincing body.
It's one or the other. If we were entitled to ask for it, why is it stupid?

It's one or the other. If we were entitled to ask for it, why is it stupid?

why is it one or the other? You are more than entitled to ask for a stupidly ridiculous price for a player who is contracted for 2 years? Like any club is that has a contracted player.

If an Essendon player also wanted to leave with 2 years left than I also would expect them to ask a stupid price.

Because it would only be a stupid price if we expected / wanted to trade him. We didn't, unless it we got an absolute bonanza in return

I am using the term stupid as in the the price was ridiculous overs....

No other player in history (or at least i'm not aware of) has ever gone for straight up 2 x top 10 picks that hasn't even won an AA...

I am using the term stupid as in the the price was ridiculous overs....

No other player in history (or at least i'm not aware of) has ever gone for straight up 2 x top 10 picks that hasn't even won an AA...
Why offer him the contract that you did then? We all know the reported contract offer, I'd take that as the valuation that Essendon placed on him (and then failed to meet in a trade) above and beyond any retrospective analysis that Dons fans have to try and justify their own stuff-up.

Why offer him the contract that you did then? We all know the reported contract offer, I'd take that as the valuation that Essendon placed on him (and then failed to meet in a trade) above and beyond any retrospective analysis that Dons fans have to try and justify their own stuff-up.

I'm not sure too many circa 700k a year players would warrant that trade, like is said no other player in history has gone for that much without even winning a single AA.

Like I said before I don't even think Essendon/Dogs were talking about a value until Dunkley nominated us. i think the dogs originally flat batted it completely.

Last edited:
I'm not sure too many circa 700k a year players would warrant that trade, like is said no other player in history has gone for that much without even winning a single AA.

Like I said before I don't even think Essendon/Dogs were talking about a value until Dunkley nominated us. i think the dogs originally flat batted it completely.
Reports were in the $800-$900k range, plus the list spot and above-minimum deal for his brother who is unlikely to get on a list elsewhere. The leverage is in the fact that Dunkley not only has two years left, but when he does eventually come out of contract, he will not be a free agent, meaning that Dogs will still get a trade package that isn't significantly less than what the Essendon offer was anyway (look what you got for a worse player in Saad). That leverage multiplies onto the trade offer. If he was a free agent when coming out of contract, currently out of contract, or only had one year as opposed to two left, Dogs may have accepted the Dons offer.

The reason that players typically don't go for that much is because players typically don't get traded with two years left and not-a-free agent when OOC, period, because they understand the trade capital they have to pay.

Reports were in the $800-$900k range, plus the list spot and above-minimum deal for his brother who is unlikely to get on a list elsewhere. The leverage is in the fact that Dunkley not only has two years left, but when he does eventually come out of contract, he will not be a free agent, meaning that Dogs will still get a trade package that isn't significantly less than what the Essendon offer was anyway (look what you got for a worse player in Saad). That leverage multiplies onto the trade offer. If he was a free agent when coming out of contract, currently out of contract, or only had one year as opposed to two left, Dogs may have accepted the Dons offer.

The reason that players typically don't go for that much is because players typically don't get traded with two years left and not-a-free agent when OOC, period, because they understand the trade capital they have to pay.

here we go again with this absolute bullshit.

show me a SINGLE report referencing a 900k figure for Dunkley. We did this dance previously for pages and pages with bulldogs supporters and not one of you could prove this figure being reported - it ended up being "oh I heard it on the radio once" & "heard it from some guy on our board who is a trusted source".

the fact is 900k was NEVER reported, not once.

The figure that was actually reported was 600-700k, which was in the final week or so of trade week.

again, like I re enforce. no 600-700k player is worth 2 x top 10 picks, and like ill say it again it was and still is a stupidly ridiculous price for a player that has not got a single AA to his name.

Last edited:

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Some Bulldogs supporters are just upset they couldn't come on here after trade week and gloat they traded a surplus player for two top 10 picks, while also getting one over Didoro.

Back