List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then again it might be the same smokescreen we used last year.

Clubs would use a smokescreen. The draft prospects wouldn't. I very much doubt that we've sent Phillips out to do the media rounds and create the illusion that he won't be a Swan.

In any case, his family believe he will be taken by Essendon or Hawthorn and that it's a given. They are the only two clubs who have been in touch with him since his second round of interviews that wrapped up ten days ago. This is generally what happens as the field narrows for each club heading into the draft. So the only way we will get Phillips is if our first or second preference is gone, which is highly unlikely given we have pick 3/4, and it will likely be as much a surprise for him as it is for us.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
McLean definitely deserves a new contract as there is a lot to work with there. Not sure he can be a full time ruckman but I think he would make a good second ruckman and if he can build his tank more he could be more than handy.
And speed. He's as slow as a draft horse. But he has very good agility, his second efforts are superb. There is a lot to work with.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our midfield is garbage , probably bottom 2 imo

We need an A grader mid , hopefully we can draft one to be

I agree. I'm also not as confident as others that we will be able to attract top-end talent at the trade table in the future without over-paying. If we don't fix our midfield, we don't rise up the ladder, and if we don't rise up the ladder, we can forget being a destination club for trade targets.

Western Bulldogs the last few years are proof that you can be bang average down back and up forward, but if you have a quality midfield you can be competitive, contend in finals, and sell your future to trade targets.

Just don't see that happening with our midfield stocks atm. Love Rowbottom, the rest all have question marks over them IMO.

Jack2Jack

Club Legend
May 3, 2011
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Western Bulldogs the last few years are proof that you can be bang average down back and up forward, but if you have a quality midfield you can be competitive, contend in finals, and sell your future to trade targets.

Really? Everyone sees things differently and I view the bulldogs as the complete opposite. They show you can have the best midfield in the world but if your spine is garbage/non existent you'll never be anything but a pretender. The flukey as hell flag masks a lot and even then it only happened because a few KP players pulled their fingers out of their ass for a month.
They've been in no mans land Beverage's tenure...despite having that midfield...7th is literally their best finish at the end of a H & A season....they're definitely not a club to be trying to replicate as far as list management strategy goes.

I think our KP stocks are a far bigger s**t show than our midfield, which at least has some prospects to work with/around, but as for our spine besides McCartin and Melican there's nothing long term of any quality at all. Blakey is a midfielder himself, and McLean shows bits here and there but still less likely than likely for mine.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
who is going to get the ball out of the middle for us?
IMO, doesn't matter.
You take best available, and address needs during the trade period period.

Position matters very little when drafting. If you think Phillips is better than DGB, then sure, but if you take Phillips cause of a need, even if you think DGB is better, then you've lost.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Only reason why we should take Phillips is because he's the best available.

Don't buy this, we have to get a mid bollocks, I rate Phillips higher than DGB, but I would want the swans to go with who they've rated the highest. Position shouldn't matter in the draft.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Don't buy this, we have to get a mid bollocks, I rate Phillips higher than DGB, but I would want the swans to go with who they've rated the highest. Position shouldn't matter in the draft.

I actually asked Bulldogs fans about this a few weeks ago and they universally said that Dalrymple will always prioritise best available over needs. In fact he seems to never take needs into consideration when drafting, at least with the first pick.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

I think Phillips fills a need. We don't have any up coming mid who can win the clearance. McDonald & Phillips fill a bigger need than DGB as we're pretty stacked down back

That is why we are so fond of recruiting half back flankers as they happened to be the best available at that pick.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Go get him Swans!
My pick from the start. Less chance of go home factor as a WA boy compared to the Vic kids that will just run after their second contract.
We will only have to deal with 2 clubs pestering him to go home as opposed to 10 clubs with the highly rated Vic boys. He also will have to deal with the long trips every second week as a WA team player. As he said, he will slot in beautifully & is almost ready to go. It also makes sense as to why we moved Aliir on.
My hard earned is on us taking DGB with our first pick.
I think you are right. I think I would actually bet on this one. He was mentioned by Beeston as anabsolute star in the WAFL. The fact he was put onto Mcdonald after he kicked 3 until half time and kept him scoreless also bodes well. Mcdonald is, seen as one of thee star CHF in the draft and is expected to go 2

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I actually asked Bulldogs fans about this a few weeks ago and they universally said that Dalrymple will always prioritise best available over needs. In fact he seems to never take needs into consideration when drafting, at least with the first pick.

They were not as exposed to the go home factor as us. I would bet that it’s part of the decision in who to select.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
He looks mobile enough to play HBF on a medium forward.
The big question IMO is how we structure our back 7 (including an interchange). Do we vary it for different opponents?
Let's take Richmond. I think we have three to take Riewoldt (Rampe, McCartin, Mills) but who takes Lynch. My money would be on Brand or McCartin, leaving Rampe to go loose with Mills on Riewoldt. NOW for the big one - who's on Martin? Midfield/forward. Tag? Probably too strong for Clarke. I'm guessing Hewett, being strong enough and probably a bigger tank.
With Lloyd and Cunningham there are not a lot more spots. Gould yet to debut. Fox, COR.
If we take DGB who does he replace and when?
Not saying we shouldn't take him but he might not play seniors for a while.
He will play seniors from pretty well the start. He has already gained 4 kilos, he is now 82, by the time the season starts he will be 85-90. Not only that he played the whole, not just a few games, the whole of last season in the, Swan District WAFL seniors. He played against men at 78 and beat them. He has a wonderful leap.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I think Phillips fills a need. We don't have any up coming mid who can win the clearance. McDonald & Phillips fill a bigger need than DGB as we're pretty stacked down back
Huh? I never said he doesn't fill a need, what I was trying to say is that filling a need is one of, if not the last thing that should be taken into consideration.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Beatson seemed to like Bruhn.

Personal view is we will go tall with 3 and then we will trade back into the first 10 using our 2021 1st with Gold Coast or Essendon (provided Campbell bid is after) and grab someone like Bruhn (or even Phillips if he has dropped).

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Gee it'd be good to see the club spend next year's pick on GC's pick so we can grab Phillips AND DGB (if that's who they are planning on).

Then I want them to spend next year's second on the ruck Neale after we take Gulden.

Accelerate the rebuild. Throw the chips on the table and go for it.

Phillips at 3

DGB at 5 If taken then grab Thillthorpe / Zac Reid

Campbell at 7-9

Gulden at over 23

Neale at 29 (Overs but GWS have so many picks they're most likely to give one up more so than any teams in the early 30s)

Don't have the list spots I guess, but would love to see it.

Jimbo OZ

Team Captain
Jan 19, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
I like Phillips too and I agree that we need help in the midfield but we are getting Campbell and Gulden. Don’t write off Gulden as a future in and under star. I’m also keen to see the forgotten man, Chad Warner, with a season of development.

For me, I will be thrilled with McDonald/DGB, Campbell, Gulden.

Dan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney

Personal view is we will go tall with 3 and then we will trade back into the first 10 using our 2021 1st with Gold Coast or Essendon (provided Campbell bid is after) and grab someone like Bruhn (or even Phillips if he has dropped).

Why do you think we double dip in the first? Maybe something like Carlton with Stocker? Speed the rebuild up.

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Gee it'd be good to see the club spend next year's pick on GC's pick so we can grab Phillips AND DGB (if that's who they are planning on).

Then I want them to spend next year's second on the ruck Neale after we take Gulden.

Accelerate the rebuild. Throw the chips on the table and go for it.

Phillips at 3

DGB at 5 If taken then grab Thillthorpe / Zac Reid

Campbell at 7-9

Gulden at over 23

Neale at 29 (Overs but GWS have so many picks they're most likely to give one up more so than any teams in the early 30s)

Don't have the list spots I guess, but would love to see it.

I think we would look back at it as a mistake if we traded out of the first round next year. Every chance we are picking at the pointy end again.

It's a shame you can't put protections on picks like in the NBA.

Last edited:

you reckon this will really happen , trade back in?

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Why do you think we double dip in the first? Speed the rebuild up ala Carlton with Stocker?

Because I think the idea that next years draft will be strong is in itself a risk. The top end talent from this draft will be gone and next years 18 year olds also missed a year of development this year so have no top age form to go off. Yes some will jump that didn’t have the chance to this year but you’re playing in ifs and buts. The 19 year olds normally get an extra year of development (VFL/SANFL/WAFL etc) but you don’t see that many taken that have suddenly made the leap.

And yes speed up the rebuild, get in the mid and tall we need from the top end of the draft.

From next year I’d also be hoping we are looking to the free agency pool to start adding the finishing pieces and I think we will largely be done with the draft regeneration (assuming we get the selections right).

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
you reckon this will really happen , trade back in?

I think it’s a chance of happening.
I think Essendon is a real target with 3 in a row. But Gold Coast also a chance as they need to give chances to the kids they’ve got already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back