Free Agency James Frawley [joins St Kilda as a delisted free agent]

SaintJunior

All Australian
Mar 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Superannuation contract, smart move by Frawley
Yes I call it the Harley Bennell fund.

Could be worse could be paying Tom McDonald a mint to run around at Casey Fields.

Kozzie_Magic

Senior List
Nov 7, 2020
Bigfooty t/as Aust Antifa - Endorsed by chief
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yes I call it the Harley Bennell fund.

Could be worse could be paying Tom McDonald a mint to run around at Casey Fields.

Do you call it the Harley Bennell fund because you couldn't think of a witty or funny reply?

SaintJunior

All Australian
Mar 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Do you call it the Harley Bennell fund because you couldn't think of a witty or funny reply?
No not all if, just pointing out that plenty of players play on past their use by date and plenty of clubs give players the opportunity to.Harley Bennell being your most recent example of such. Just pointing out you are a bit clueless or wear blinkers.

Was your comment about Frawley because you are still bitter and twisted that he walked to the Hawks.

Would rather take a risk on Frawley potentially being washed up than paying big money for the likes of McDonald to run around in the VFL.

Kozzie_Magic

Senior List
Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
No not all if, just pointing out that plenty of players play on past their use by date and plenty of clubs give players the opportunity to.Harley Bennell being your most recent example of such. Just pointing out you are a bit clueless or wear blinkers.

Was your comment about Frawley because you are still bitter and twisted that he walked to the Hawks.

Would rather take a risk on Frawley potentially being washed up than paying big money for the likes of McDonald to run around in the VFL.

Nah, I think you were just trying to troll, but very badly lol your comment about McDonald playing in the VFL proves it

Although I think it was bloody ordinary of you to attack Bennell like that and isn't it against the rules to derail a thread and attack the posters club?

Seems like you failed on all accounts

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Superannuation contract, smart move by Frawley

He will not be on a huge contract and so it is hardly a "superannuation" contract.

But he has made his grandmother extremely happy. The Frawley Clan has deep connections with St Kilda. Plus was it his dad who said that he can resume barracking for the Saint's again now that his son is at the Saints?

Also given Roughead's involvement in gaining Frawley one suspects that some non-playing duties will be part of the appeal.

Kozzie_Magic

Senior List
Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
He will not be on a huge contract and so it is hardly a "superannuation" contract.

But he has made his grandmother extremely happy. The Frawley Clan has deep connections with St Kilda. Plus was it his dad who said that he can resume barracking for the Saint's again now that his son is at the Saints?

Also given Roughead's involvement in gaining Frawley one suspects that some non-playing duties will be part of the appeal.

Yep, smart move, he's effectively retired but getting more money. Nathan Jones is doing the same this at Melbourne, but it's still pretty much a superannuation payment contract. Not sure why the other guy got so upset

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yep, smart move, he's effectively retired but getting more money. Nathan Jones is doing the same this at Melbourne, but it's still pretty much a superannuation payment contract. Not sure why the other guy got so upset

It would seem that you and I have a different definition of what a superannuation contract is. To me that it implies a large payment to set you up for life.

Whereas Frawley will be on less money that he was on. Still healthy compared to what the average Joe is on, but not a largesse to set him up financially.

If he has not already set himself after his years at the Dees and Hawks, then one or two years at the Saints will not really help him.

From what he has said he believes he is still capable of playing at a good level and wants to do so. He will receive ok money, but nothing flash. This is not him "cashing-in" on his career.

Kozzie_Magic

Senior List
Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
It would seem that you and I have a different definition of what a superannuation contract is. To me that it implies a large payment to set you up for life.

Whereas Frawley will be on less money that he was on. Still healthy compared to what the average Joe is on, but not a largesse to set him up financially.

If he has not already set himself after his years at the Dees and Hawks, then one or two years at the Saints will not really help him.

From what he has said he believes he is still capable of playing at a good level and wants to do so. He will receive ok money, but nothing flash. This is not him "cashing-in" on his career.

Superannuation payment is just a bonus payment for doing little work. His performances have clearly been falling away the older he gets so it won't surprise anyone if he continues that way.

Also, he decided to retire then changed his mind, so mentally he's more than halfway there.

But it's good for all parties, Frawley's slowing down, getting another payment to basically give leadership, he doesn't have to put in too hard, Saints gets a leader, and it's a feel good story.

Not sure why the angst

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
He's not just there to give leadership, he's there to play if Howard in particular misses any games and also possibly/probably if (or when) Carlisle misses.

I dare say he would still be at Hawthorn next year if they hadn't gotten the opportunity to get Hartigan in for a longer term than Chip would have given them.

Plenty told us last year that Ryder was "cooked" and he ended up being terrific for us (including BOG in a final), so we'll see how Chip goes.

Kozzie_Magic

Senior List
Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
He's not just there to give leadership, he's there to play if Howard in particular misses any games and also possibly/probably if (or when) Carlisle misses.

I dare say he would still be at Hawthorn next year if they hadn't gotten the opportunity to get Hartigan in for a longer term than Chip would have given them.

Plenty told us last year that Ryder was "cooked" and he ended up being terrific for us (including BOG in a final), so we'll see how Chip goes.

Apart from the fact that he retired lol

Good for Chip getting some more cash in his pocket

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Superannuation payment is just a bonus payment for doing little work. His performances have clearly been falling away the older he gets so it won't surprise anyone if he continues that way.

Also, he decided to retire then changed his mind, so mentally he's more than halfway there.

But it's good for all parties, Frawley's slowing down, getting another payment to basically give leadership, he doesn't have to put in too hard, Saints gets a leader, and it's a feel good story.

Not sure why the angst

It is not angst. I just disagree with the use of the term as it seems to being used. And I doubt very much that Rats will put up with a mental freeloader, or someone turning up to training to put in half-arsed efforts such as you think would be acceptable. Rats has clearly flagged that he is all about raising standards.

Superannuation payment is just a bonus payment for doing little work?

• Odd usage for mine as super is just part of your overall salary package, and part of the total cost of an employee. You might as well label say a company car as a bonus payment.

But putting this aside in 2021 what work exactly will Frawley do less of?
  • Will he train less? = No
  • Will he play less? = Probably not for while he will most likely not be in the seniors most weeks, he will be playing at Sandy when he does not
  • Will he do less offield work? = If anything I would expect that he will do more and that part of what he will do will help train the many young defenders at St Kilda.
Then with $$$ = Will be paid less or more? = Less.

So overall Frawley will earn les money for roughly the same amount of physical work, but possibly more mental work.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Apart from the fact that he retired lol

Good for Chip getting some more cash in his pocket
It wasn't his idea to retire. Hawthorn pushed him out the door. Chip said he had thought he was still going OK and had another year or two in him.

Which is also what most in the thread about his retirement on the Hawthorn board here said about him as well.

Kozzie_Magic

Senior List
Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
It is not angst. I just disagree with the use of the term as it seems to being used. And I doubt very much that Rats will put up with a mental freeloader, or someone turning up to training to put in half-arsed efforts such as you think would be acceptable. Rats has clearly flagged that he is all about raising standards.

Superannuation payment is just a bonus payment for doing little work?

• Odd usage for mine as super is just part of your overall salary package, and part of the total cost of an employee. You might as well label say a company car as a bonus payment.

But putting this aside in 2021 what work exactly will Frawley do less of?
  • Will he train less? = No
  • Will he play less? = Probably not for while he will most likely not be in the seniors most weeks, he will be playing at Sandy when he does not
  • Will he do less offield work? = If anything I would expect that he will do more and that part of what he will do will help train the many young defenders at St Kilda.
Then with $$$ = Will be paid less or more? = Less.

So overall Frawley will earn les money for roughly the same amount of physical work, but possibly more mental work.

Yep, he's getting a bonus contract after deciding to retire, call it whatever you want, i call it a superannuation payment

Back