Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Interesting listen 2020 Draft Preview

Key out takes:

1. ADEL will take a tall because it's a talls Draft

2. These guys have us taking Thilthorpe (1) & Tanner Bruhn (9) ......Thilthorpe partly because we're a conservative club

3. Confidant ESS trade picks#6 & #7 for NORTH's pick #2 ....for a KPF .....if this happens any chance FAITH had with his Thilthorpe prediction will have disappeared

If ESS take McDonald .....Thilthorpe won't get past NORTH

4. Humans can rationalize any prediction, which in hindsight is proven to be a foolish view ......happens every Draft

5. Again said the primary role of KPF's these days is to bring the ball to ground

5. Tanner Bruhn
Best position:
Inside midfield/general forward
Height, weight: 182cm, 73kg
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Projected draft range: 3-15
Preseason ranking: 5
Rationale: One of the standout talents in this draft and would be higher if not for his ACL injury in 2019 and meniscus tear this year.
Strengths: Precise kick, composure with ball in hand, evasion, agility, speed, versatility to play forward or through the midfield, wins first possession at stoppages, contested ball winning, scoreboard impact.
Weaknesses: Injury history, with ACL and torn meniscus in successive years in the same knee, limited recent exposed form.

Is anyone else concerned that if we pick Thilthorp or McDonald, they will turn out like all the other key forwards taken in the top three over the past ten years?
Moreso with McDonald .....but history says it's much riskier than a Mid

So do you take the risk associated with a tall ...or the risk with Hollands ACL ?

That's your opinion, I mean a 6ft6 running machine who's a ground level freak is a terrible selection
That's your opinion, I mean a 6ft6 running machine who's a ground level freak is a terrible selection

I think we will be taking RT, we can’t be disappointed with that.
My only concern was that I wanted it confirmed that he is primarily a forward.
The plus with him is he can play ruck if needed, becoming another mid fielder.
But good to know primarily a forward that can
1 crash packs
2 quick on lead
3 clean strong hands that elevate arms at highest point
4 good below knees
5 endurance machine
6 versatility of position by primarily forward
7 homegrown talent

What is not to like if he can keep his body right.

Mind you there are so many things I like about Hollands, just feel gotta take a forward like him as they don’t come around to often

If we can’t get hollands hoping and praying we are into ford.

Appears from today’s article we are into poulter. I think we will also be into brun if he makes it to our pick 9

Moreso with McDonald .....but history says it's much riskier than a Mid

So do you take the risk associated with a tall ...or the risk with Hollands ACL ?

Don’t see hype with LM, least wanted of big three.
Does anyone think we r going with SA flavour now. Hately, hinge, tilthorpe, and big interest in poulter. Is it coincidence. Building Sa identity. I like it, want players to bleed for the jumper.

I know Hollands always talks about Bontompelli, but with those footskills off both feet and evasive magic in traffic he's the closest to Dustin Martin we will ever have access to.

The alternatives are a ruckman and a lead up forward.

Has shades of McCartin over Petracca one feels if we don't take Hollands at 1.

Agree - the evasiveness and football IQ from him are sublime. If he turns out 50% of Dusty he will be a star,

Anyone seen Seamus Mitchell play? From today’s Sunday Mail:

THE SMOKY A NAME that might not have been heard much in draft discussions this year is Seamus Mitchell, who has been interviewed by every AFL club. Likened to Carlton defender Zach Williams, the Bendigo Pioneers product has speed to burn, a beautiful kick and strong game sense. He played just five NAB League games for the Pioneers last year but has shown enough for AFL clubs to be clamouring for his services. “He’s an exceptional talent ,” Pioneers coach and former GWS development coach Damien Truslove said. “With his speed and ability, he could play AFL right now. “He’s very much like Zach Williams. He’s a beautiful kick, just extremely good in game sense situations and training. “He’s a level above NAB League.” Mitchell posted the fourthfastest 20m sprint time of any Victorian prospect at the draft combine.

Anyone seen Seamus Mitchell play? From today’s Sunday Mail:

THE SMOKY A NAME that might not have been heard much in draft discussions this year is Seamus Mitchell, who has been interviewed by every AFL club. Likened to Carlton defender Zach Williams, the Bendigo Pioneers product has speed to burn, a beautiful kick and strong game sense. He played just five NAB League games for the Pioneers last year but has shown enough for AFL clubs to be clamouring for his services. “He’s an exceptional talent ,” Pioneers coach and former GWS development coach Damien Truslove said. “With his speed and ability, he could play AFL right now. “He’s very much like Zach Williams. He’s a beautiful kick, just extremely good in game sense situations and training. “He’s a level above NAB League.” Mitchell posted the fourthfastest 20m sprint time of any Victorian prospect at the draft combine.
So a half back flanker. Hamish won't be able to help himself.
New contender for pick 1.

[TD valign="top"] DRAFT WISH LIST [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] PLAYER [/TD][TD valign="top"] WHY [/TD][TD valign="top"] Draft Range [/TD][TD valign="top"] Best Comparison [/TD][TD valign="top"] Likelihood of attaining them [/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Braeden Campbell [/TD][TD valign="top"]Best player in this year’s draft by confidence of trajectory of capability to be a high impacting player for a long period.[/TD][TD valign="top"]1-10
Sydney to bid[/TD][TD valign="top"]Lenny Hayes[/TD][TD valign="top"]5%
Hard to see us bidding with our first pick and Sydney pass[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Elijah Hollands [/TD][TD valign="top"]Class & X-Factor, if he bounces back from the ACL he will be a star of the game.

Will hit the scoreboard often[/TD][TD valign="top"]1-5[/TD][TD valign="top"]Fyfe / De Goey Hybrid[/TD][TD valign="top"]70%
Very Likely if we pass on Thilthorpe early[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Logan McDonald [/TD][TD valign="top"]Great key forward prospect, a huge need for the crows and may be the better pure KPF other than Ugle-Hagan this year.[/TD][TD valign="top"]1-5[/TD][TD valign="top"]Can’t decide[/TD][TD valign="top"]60%
Thilthorpe would have the advantage[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Will Phillips [/TD][TD valign="top"]Another player that has a clear trajectory of capability.
Losing Brad Crouch and possibility of Matt leaving (unlikely) Phillips would secure us a most likely A-Grade midfielder.[/TD][TD valign="top"]1-10[/TD][TD valign="top"]Tom Mitchell / Trent Cotchin Hybrid[/TD][TD valign="top"]50%

Phillips is a safe bet[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Nathan O’Driscoll [/TD][TD valign="top"]A player that would be a big fit on the wing and would be a good replacement for Smith long term.

Yet he can be a damaging inside midfielder also.[/TD][TD valign="top"]8 – 20[/TD][TD valign="top"]Elliot Yeo / Bachar Houli Hybrid (strange hybrid)[/TD][TD valign="top"]35%

Fits a huge need[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Zavier Maher [/TD][TD valign="top"]High impact per possession player and had huge amounts of burst speed – his he can learn to accumulate the ball more he can be a top 5 player.[/TD][TD valign="top"]20- 35[/TD][TD valign="top"]Andrew Gaff but has traits of B.Smith[/TD][TD valign="top"]10%

Solid round 2 pick if he is there[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Riley Thilthorpe [/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Home grown big unit that would help us both Forward & in the Ruck.
Also will be the best contested mark-up forward that we have had on a very long time.[/TD][TD valign="top"]1-7[/TD][TD valign="top"]Brad Ottens / T. Lynch hybrid[/TD][TD valign="top"]85%

Can’t see us missing this pick early with our first as there will be good midfielders down the patch[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Jackson Callow [/TD][TD valign="top"]Highly underrated key forward that is a great set shot kick for goal
Big frame and has a high ceiling if he can get into AFL shape.
Hard to beat inside 50[/TD][TD valign="top"]20 – 30[/TD][TD valign="top"]Brodie Mihocek with some Gunston traits[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Baily Laurie [/TD][TD valign="top"]Undersized speedy player that will be better than our current small forwards, Stengle and Murphy[/TD][TD valign="top"]20-40[/TD][TD valign="top"]Dayne Zorko[/TD][TD valign="top"]5%
Cannot see us wanting him[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Nik Cox [/TD]
[TD valign="top"]If we go Hollands early than Cox & Reid are great options for our 2nd pick

Cox can be either a key position back or forward by this is the same as McAsey so there is benefits of having 2 tall player that are yet to know where they will play their best football[/TD][TD valign="top"]8-20[/TD][TD valign="top"]Eric Hipwood as a forward[/TD][TD valign="top"]25%[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Archie Perkins [/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Strong midfielder – the type of player that will fit nice with Hately.

Has X-Factor potential and has strong X-Factor marking ability

A lot of pace out of stoppages and may be the best mid-forward score impacting forward to take if Hollands is not available[/TD][TD valign="top"]4 (yes) – 12[/TD][TD valign="top"]Some Dustin Martin traits and has similarities of Zaharakis[/TD][TD valign="top"]20%
but would like to see this higher

strong possibility for our second pick if he is there but wont slide past bombers[/TD]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same story for the last 5 years and I agree with you ... the tools are there to be able to do it

eventually if you don’t do it you get spat out of the system

he hasn’t had a good season at any level since he was 16 yo so I think if he doesn’t show signs in 2021 he’s done

Chances are in two years time he's cruising around in country leagues playing for a different club each year and getting decent coin. Darcy Hourigan style.

Cue the cries of "Playstation post" ...

Just wanted to document what I thought the pick move options could be (other than 40 for a future third). Any good ones I'm missing?

POSSIBLE PICK TRADES

SYDNEY WANTS A KEY FORWARD
1 and Melbourne 2021 2nd for Sydney's pick 3 and 2021 pick 1.

** Personally, I like this. We'd be happy with any of the top 3, so put the decision in someone else's hands.

ESSENDON WANTS LOGAN MCDONALD
1, 22, 23 for 6, 7, 8 - or - 1 & 9 for 6, 7, 8.

** Don't love it. I'd prefer to keep a top 5 pick if we're trading out pick 1. That first trade is probably something neither Essendon or us would do.

COLLINGWOOD WANTS TO TRADE OUT OF 2021 FIRST ROUND
9 for 2021 1st.

** Maybe? I think I'd rather see us add talent now - but I probably just prefer we do something else with 9. I'd maybe do this instead of using it at its current spot, though.

GWS WANTS TO TRADE UP
9 & 23 for 13 & 15

** I really want to do this. 9 is a tricky spot. It makes sense for GWS to trade up and it makes sense for us to have a couple of bites at it. Those teen picks will be a sweet spot in this draft, I reckon. If GWS like a trade we offer, they'll still take our call.

Collingwood could do a similar trade with 14 and 16.

COLLINGWOOD WANTS TO TRADE DOWN
22 and 40 for 16.

** This would have to be done on the day, if there's a McInnes bid. Collingwood probably don't do that until a bid comes in. This makes them a couple of hundred points, a 20% improvement

ESSENDON WANTS TO MOVE SOME PICKS INTO 2021
Pick 6 and 2021 2nd for Adelaide's pick 23 and 2021 1st.

** This is very unlikely. PERHAPS if we had first round picks in 2021 already, then we'd look to trade ours IF one of Hollands or Thilthorpe was there?

Yep it is ! It’s prob more his agility that makes him look a little slow , 3.08 is ok for him for sure

he might be a little like Josh Battle and end up playing in defence
I watched the stream of one of the 2 games he played almost solely CHB and he can certainly be classed as a genuine swingman IMO. Also got swung into defence for North Launy in other games as well and by all reports did very well. Of course most are aware of how well he played as a forward for the Tassie Devils in last year's NAB League as an under-ager and he looked good in last year's All Stars game. Not just a lead and mark forward either, it's his 2nd efforts, follow up and aggressive tackling that set him apart from a lot of the prospective forwards.....and those "sticky" hands.

I just think for some reason, maybe it's the fact Tassie doesn't get much mainland coverage in the AFL media but this lad is being chronically underrated IMO.

So a half back flanker. Hamish won't be able to help himself.
New contender for pick 1.
Played half forward in every Pioneers game I've ever watched...he's a small/medium forward that likely would have had a run through the midfield had this season gone ahead in Victoria. Not too sure about his defensive side which is almost a must have requisite for a small/medium forward. He'll get drafted for sure, probably in the back half of the 2nd -3rd round. Think if we're going his "type" personally I'd have Jake Bowey ahead of him.

[TD valign="top"] DRAFT WISH LIST [/TD]
[TD valign="top"] PLAYER [/TD][TD valign="top"] WHY [/TD][TD valign="top"] Draft Range [/TD][TD valign="top"] Best Comparison [/TD][TD valign="top"] Likelihood of attaining them [/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Braeden Campbell [/TD][TD valign="top"]Best player in this year’s draft by confidence of trajectory of capability to be a high impacting player for a long period.[/TD][TD valign="top"]1-10
Sydney to bid[/TD][TD valign="top"]Lenny Hayes[/TD][TD valign="top"]5%
Hard to see us bidding with our first pick and Sydney pass[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Elijah Hollands [/TD][TD valign="top"]Class & X-Factor, if he bounces back from the ACL he will be a star of the game.

Will hit the scoreboard often[/TD][TD valign="top"]1-5[/TD][TD valign="top"]Fyfe / De Goey Hybrid[/TD][TD valign="top"]70%
Very Likely if we pass on Thilthorpe early[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Logan McDonald [/TD][TD valign="top"]Great key forward prospect, a huge need for the crows and may be the better pure KPF other than Ugle-Hagan this year.[/TD][TD valign="top"]1-5[/TD][TD valign="top"]Can’t decide[/TD][TD valign="top"]60%
Thilthorpe would have the advantage[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Will Phillips [/TD][TD valign="top"]Another player that has a clear trajectory of capability.
Losing Brad Crouch and possibility of Matt leaving (unlikely) Phillips would secure us a most likely A-Grade midfielder.[/TD][TD valign="top"]1-10[/TD][TD valign="top"]Tom Mitchell / Trent Cotchin Hybrid[/TD][TD valign="top"]50%

Phillips is a safe bet[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Nathan O’Driscoll [/TD][TD valign="top"]A player that would be a big fit on the wing and would be a good replacement for Smith long term.

Yet he can be a damaging inside midfielder also.[/TD][TD valign="top"]8 – 20[/TD][TD valign="top"]Elliot Yeo / Bachar Houli Hybrid (strange hybrid)[/TD][TD valign="top"]35%

Fits a huge need[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Zavier Maher [/TD][TD valign="top"]High impact per possession player and had huge amounts of burst speed – his he can learn to accumulate the ball more he can be a top 5 player.[/TD][TD valign="top"]20- 35[/TD][TD valign="top"]Andrew Gaff but has traits of B.Smith[/TD][TD valign="top"]10%

Solid round 2 pick if he is there[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Riley Thilthorpe [/TD][TD valign="top"]Home grown big unit that would help us both Forward & in the Ruck.
Also will be the best contested mark-up forward that we have had on a very long time.[/TD][TD valign="top"]1-7[/TD][TD valign="top"]Brad Ottens / T. Lynch hybrid[/TD][TD valign="top"]85%

Can’t see us missing this pick early with our first as there will be good midfielders down the patch[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Jackson Callow [/TD][TD valign="top"]Highly underrated key forward that is a great set shot kick for goal
Big frame and has a high ceiling if he can get into AFL shape.
Hard to beat inside 50[/TD][TD valign="top"]20 – 30[/TD][TD valign="top"]Brodie Mihocek with some Gunston traits[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Baily Laurie [/TD][TD valign="top"]Undersized speedy player that will be better than our current small forwards, Stengle and Murphy[/TD][TD valign="top"]20-40[/TD][TD valign="top"]Dayne Zorko[/TD][TD valign="top"]5%
Cannot see us wanting him[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Nik Cox [/TD][TD valign="top"]If we go Hollands early than Cox & Reid are great options for our 2nd pick

Cox can be either a key position back or forward by this is the same as McAsey so there is benefits of having 2 tall player that are yet to know where they will play their best football[/TD][TD valign="top"]8-20[/TD][TD valign="top"]Eric Hipwood as a forward[/TD][TD valign="top"]25%[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] Archie Perkins [/TD][TD valign="top"]Strong midfielder – the type of player that will fit nice with Hately.

Has X-Factor potential and has strong X-Factor marking ability

A lot of pace out of stoppages and may be the best mid-forward score impacting forward to take if Hollands is not available[/TD][TD valign="top"]4 (yes) – 12[/TD][TD valign="top"]Some Dustin Martin traits and has similarities of Zaharakis[/TD][TD valign="top"]20%
but would like to see this higher

strong possibility for our second pick if he is there but wont slide past bombers[/TD]
Like the sounds of Maher
STRENGTHS:
  • Explosive speed
  • Strength
  • Contested work
  • Metres gained
  • Kick penetration
  • Leadership
Qualities we need. Concerning that he doesnt get a lot of the ball but Matty does so could work in well there.

From the HS

THE POTENTIAL NO.1
Whether Adelaide reads out Jamarra Ugle-Hagan’s name first or not largely doesn’t matter, because the Western Bulldogs will match the bid and secure their Academy star.

So who will the Crows actually get with their No.1 selection?

Riley Thilthorpe looms large – literally.

The 201cm key forward from West Adelaide had a sizzling season in the SANFL, averaging 11.9 disposals, 4.1 marks and kicking five goals across nine games.

A one-time state level ice hockey player, the athletic big man has been labelled “the ultimate football package” who can win the ball both in the air and at ground level.

Being a homegrown talent makes Thilthorpe all the more tempting for the Crows.

THE BOLTER
Another name the Crows are considering reading out at No.1 is Logan McDonald, who has elevated himself from a likely first-round selection to a top-five lock this year.

Unlike draft hopefuls in Victoria, the West Australian was able to play football for Perth in the WAFL this year and grabbed the opportunity with both hands.

He finished the year as the fourth-highest goalkicker in the WAFL with 21 majors from nine games in his debut year of senior football.

“Not too many kids at 18 can go to WAFL level and average two or three goals and take half a dozen marks as a power forward,” former West Coast spearhead and Western Australia under-18 coach Peter Sumich said.

“If you’re talking about a bolter in the top-end, he’s the one.”

THE QUESTION MARK
There are no question marks over Elijah Hollands’ elite talent, but there are always a few over a player coming off a dreaded ACL injury.

Hollands had surgery in early March after rupturing his ACL at training in February, but resumed running in early October and his recovery so far has been “smooth sailing”.

A dynamic forward-midfielder who hopes to become a midfielder-forward at AFL level, the Murray Bushrangers product featured in every game for Vic Country at the 2019 under-18 national championships and also shone brightly in the Under-17 All Stars match on the MCG on AFL Grand Final day with 24 disposals, five clearances and two goals.

“Some clubs might be put off by the fact he’s had a knee injury, but knowing Elijah it’s just a setback that will make him even more determined,” one recruiter said.

“He’ll do the work, he’ll come back, he’ll be fine. He’s an exciting talent.”

Like the sounds of Maher
STRENGTHS:
  • Explosive speed
  • Strength
  • Contested work
  • Metres gained
  • Kick penetration
  • Leadership
Qualities we need. Concerning that he doesnt get a lot of the ball but Matty does so could work in well there.
2019 B & F for Caulfield Grammar in the very strong Victorian APS system in a team that boasted Fischer McAsey (Capt), Will Phillips, Elijah Hollands and Harry Sharp to mention just some of his teammates. If we take Elijah at 1 we surely have to be looking seriously at Zavier his best mate and Murray Bushrangers teammate.

Anyone interested in the results of last year's APS footy are at this link.

Some best players, goalkickers etc although not complete on every round gives you an idea of how many of the top Victorian prospects play in this system.

Last edited:
Hollands could slide all the way to GC, or definitely the Dons.
He won't get past Hawthorn.

ADEL: Thilthorpe/McDonald
NM: Thilthorpe/McDonald
SYD: DGB
HAW: Hollands
GCS: Phillips

Hawthorn won't take Phillips - they have a lot of that type already, surely.

Played half forward in every Pioneers game I've ever watched...he's a small/medium forward that likely would have had a run through the midfield had this season gone ahead in Victoria. Not too sure about his defensive side which is almost a must have requisite for a small/medium forward. He'll get drafted for sure, probably in the back half of the 2nd -3rd round. Think if we're going his "type" personally I'd have Jake Bowey ahead of him.
I'm a massive Bowey fan.

Not sure what I'd want the club to do if Bowey and Durdin are both there at 23.

I'm a massive Bowey fan.

Not sure what I'd want the club to do if Bowey and Durdin are both there at 23.
Easy for me Bowey, far more athletic than Durdin, Durdin might have him on footy smarts I just think Bowey has bigger upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back