Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

2019 B & F for Caulfield Grammar in the very strong Victorian APS system in a team that boasted Fischer McAsey (Capt), Will Phillips, Elijah Hollands and Harry Sharp to mention just some of his teammates. If we take Elijah at 1 we surely have to be looking seriously at Zavier his best mate and Murray Bushrangers teammate.

Anyone interested the results of last year's APS footy are at this link.

Some best players, goalkickers etc although not complete on every round gives you an idea of how many of the top Victorian prospects play in this system.

You've seen a lot more of him that me, but I'd be worried that his footskills seem rough in anything I've watched.

Easy for me Bowey, far more athletic than Durdin, Durdin might have him on footy smarts I just think Bowey has bigger upside.
Bowey is also VERY skilled. Love how he can weight a kick.

Adelaide conservative on draft night?
Doodee, Lever after ACL pick swap with Carlton
Pick swaps with GWS Dangerfield over Ebert not taking Hately .
Exactly.

We're a conservative footy club in many regards but drafting isn't really one of them.

McDonald is the conservative choice.

You've seen a lot more of him that me, but I'd be worried that his footskills seem rough in anything I've watched.
If you're using the ALL Stars game as your only guide I am absolutely certain that's not a fair guide. He has a 60m metre boot on him the only area that needs tidying up his short game but generally he's a burst from the midfield pack with his afterburners on and go for metreage.....He's a defenders nightmare as midfielders go with his ability to move the ball fast and long from the middle.

Sorry can’t resist one more “what if” attempt. Lot of the phantom drafts have McDonald a clear number 2 now behind JUH, some are calling him a generational forward (not convinced myself)
Given our pre Brad balls up strategy was too get 2 of the top kids could we do the below - and this scenario only assumes that North and either Sydney or Gold Coast really want McDonald

Adelaide bid on JUH - reduces stigma of trading pick 1

Adelaide live trade 2,24 and Melbourne future second to North
North trade 3,12 and north future second to Adelaide

North pick McDonald
Adelaide pick Hollands
Sydney pick DGB

Hawks trade pick 4, 25,47 to Adelaide
Adelaide trade 9,12, adelaide future second and 41 to Hawks

Adelaide pick RT

Later in draft Adelaide trade pick 25 (likely 28 by then) for a pick 4-6 spots down plus a future second to any club at that time looking to rise up the board

All assumes that 2 clubs with high picks really want McDonald and that North is one. I think.

Still living the dream of fixing the mess that we made earlier in the trade period

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I pick Hollands with 1 if we think we can also land thilthorpe later. Otherwise it seems McDonald is the best choice (if he is as he is described, a once in a generation tall forward).

I can't understand why Braeden Campbell is not rated highest than a top ten pick, his game in the futures was outstanding.

I can't help wonder if he is firmly in the mix for our pick 1.

Listening to Kinnear, he seemed bothered that Academy kids were being picked early, and made the point that he was valued much lower than Sydney's first pick.

I wonder if we have told Sydney we will be bidding on Campbell, and have offered a trade - same deal as GWS last year - so they can get ahead of our bid, now at pick 3.

If they don't trade, we get Campbell, goal kicking line breaking midfielder ready for round 1.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sorry can’t resist one more “what if” attempt. Lot of the phantom drafts have McDonald a clear number 2 now behind JUH, some are calling him a generational forward (not convinced myself)
Given our pre Brad balls up strategy was too get 2 of the top kids could we do the below - and this scenario only assumes that North and either Sydney or Gold Coast really want McDonald

Adelaide bid on JUH - reduces stigma of trading pick 1

Adelaide live trade 2,24 and Melbourne future second to North
North trade 3,12 and north future second to Adelaide

North pick McDonald
Adelaide pick Hollands
Sydney pick DGB

Hawks trade pick 4, 25,47 to Adelaide
Adelaide trade 9,12, adelaide future second and 41 to Hawks

Adelaide pick RT

Later in draft Adelaide trade pick 25 (likely 28 by then) for a pick 4-6 spots down plus a future second to any club at that time looking to rise up the board

All assumes that 2 clubs with high picks really want McDonald and that North is one. I think.

Still living the dream of fixing the mess that we made earlier in the trade period

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How did we make a mess of the Brad deal? No one wanted him at the price of a band one, and we didn't want to keep him. We just have to move past that.

Anyway - I don't mind your trades. I think the Hawthorn one might be too complicated - 5 for 10 and 12 is a good deal for them.

Personally, I'd rather just do the NM deal and grab Thilthorpe, then draft at 10, 12 and 23. I don't think NM do that deal, though. I think they trade pick 2 (3?) to Essendon.

Last edited:
I watched the stream of one of the 2 games he played almost solely CHB and he can certainly be classed as a genuine swingman IMO. Also got swung into defence for North Launy in other games as well and by all reports did very well. Of course most are aware of how well he played as a forward for the Tassie Devils in last year's NAB League as an under-ager and he looked good in last year's All Stars game. Not just a lead and mark forward either, it's his 2nd efforts, follow up and aggressive tackling that set him apart from a lot of the prospective forwards.....and those "sticky" hands.

I just think for some reason, maybe it's the fact Tassie doesn't get much mainland coverage in the AFL media but this lad is being chronically underrated IMO.
I’ve seen him play live a couple of times in bottom age year and I think he’s a middle 3rd round type

without the national champs as a reference this year it’s really hard to judge as tassie league is a level below and sometimes tassie form can be underrated

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like the sounds of Maher
STRENGTHS:
  • Explosive speed
  • Strength
  • Contested work
  • Metres gained
  • Kick penetration
  • Leadership
Qualities we need. Concerning that he doesnt get a lot of the ball but Matty does so could work in well there.

Booming kick like Smith & Seedsman but has both inside and outside midfield ability and can break packs like Treloar.

Under assumption, Maher is the type of player that bolts up the draft with a few late performances so this year didn't help.

Played alot of low possession games and all it would of taken is 1 or 2 games late this year to get 25 touches and it could of put him into a top 10 discussion.

A big want from myself. But only if he is around for the 2nd round.

How hard is it to assign Fog a personal trainer in the off-season .....if the club hasn't addressed Fogs fitness, they will be partly responsible.

Also is Fog suffering from having Walker in the side? ......and will his production improve after Tex retires
Every off season the club tries to get Fog fit and implores him to do this or do that

senior players who he’s close with try and educate him

you can lead the horse to water but .....

If he turns up looking different version of himself to day 1 of pre season this year I’ll be very confident he can play AFL football

the Penny needs to drop though and he’s running out of time

Every off season the club tries to get Fog fit and implores him to do this or do that

senior players who he’s close with try and educate him

you can lead the horse to water but .....

If he turns up looking different version of himself to day 1 of pre season this year I’ll be very confident he can play AFL football

the Penny needs to drop though and he’s running out of time

By all accounts he is on track for being in the best yet.

He won't get past Hawthorn.

ADEL: Thilthorpe/McDonald
NM: Thilthorpe/McDonald
SYD: DGB
HAW: Hollands
GCS: Phillips

Hawthorn won't take Phillips - they have a lot of that type already, surely.
I just listened to that WA podcast & they suggested Essendon could trade Picks 6 & 7 with North's Pick 2 because they are desperate to replace Daniher. It's a shame that predictions are that Phillips will go to GC when they really don't need him - they have 13 midfielders & will add Alex Davies to that glut!!

I just listened to that WA podcast & they suggested Essendon could trade Picks 6 & 7 with North's Pick 2 because they are desperate to replace Daniher. It's a shame that predictions are that Phillips will go to GC when they really don't need him - they have 13 midfielders & will add Alex Davies to that glut!!
I don’t reckon GC will take Phillips

I would be very shocked if Himmelberg did not make it. Very. Shocked.
Surprising how a little taste of AFL followed by some competition for a vacant spot does improve a player,
Personal opinion I did not believe he worked hard enough in 2018, but that taste in 2018 followed by Frampton signing, I believe change him,
in 2019 he seems to have more gas in the tank. and more confidence.
If Himmelberg increase's his tank even further, does not matter if we get Thilthorpe or McDonald they would be Lucky to get a game in front of him,

If him and McAdam can turn up in great nick for day 1 the. Get through the whole pre season then I’ll be very excited
Add Stengle to this list ....hoping the 4 week ban doesn't impact his fitness focus

He looked excellent when played in the midfield in spurts .....has better attributes for midfield even over Laird, with his evasiveness in small confined areas elite

A fitter McAdam has been my biggest wish all off-season

Happy look excited.gif

No more fantasy trades plz.
This pick 9 and future 21/2 for pick 5 will never ever ever happen.

GC are clearly going in with one pick, then picking they’re academy picks after that.

the only thing potentially happening is sliding pick 9 back. Or sliding pick 1, but that seems more unlikely than sliding pick 9.
But pick 6 could be on the cards come Draft night,

Cue the cries of "Playstation post" ...

Just wanted to document what I thought the pick move options could be (other than 40 for a future third). Any good ones I'm missing?

POSSIBLE PICK TRADES

SYDNEY WANTS A KEY FORWARD
1 and Melbourne 2021 2nd for Sydney's pick 3 and 2021 pick 1.

** Personally, I like this. We'd be happy with any of the top 3, so put the decision in someone else's hands.

ESSENDON WANTS LOGAN MCDONALD
1, 22, 23 for 6, 7, 8 - or - 1 & 9 for 6, 7, 8.

** Don't love it. I'd prefer to keep a top 5 pick if we're trading out pick 1. That first trade is probably something neither Essendon or us would do.

COLLINGWOOD WANTS TO TRADE OUT OF 2021 FIRST ROUND
9 for 2021 1st.

** Maybe? I think I'd rather see us add talent now - but I probably just prefer we do something else with 9. I'd maybe do this instead of using it at its current spot, though.

GWS WANTS TO TRADE UP
9 & 23 for 13 & 15

** I really want to do this. 9 is a tricky spot. It makes sense for GWS to trade up and it makes sense for us to have a couple of bites at it. Those teen picks will be a sweet spot in this draft, I reckon. If GWS like a trade we offer, they'll still take our call.

Collingwood could do a similar trade with 14 and 16.

COLLINGWOOD WANTS TO TRADE DOWN
22 and 40 for 16.

** This would have to be done on the day, if there's a McInnes bid. Collingwood probably don't do that until a bid comes in. This makes them a couple of hundred points, a 20% improvement

ESSENDON WANTS TO MOVE SOME PICKS INTO 2021
Pick 6 and 2021 2nd for Adelaide's pick 23 and 2021 1st.

** This is very unlikely. PERHAPS if we had first round picks in 2021 already, then we'd look to trade ours IF one of Hollands or Thilthorpe was there?
Running hot :grin:

burnit-playstation-gif.1020194

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back